AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

1. Lockdown

Lockdown Developer

Perpetual (Lifetime) version-only licenses are no longer sold.

AppGuard Consumer (Business & Personal) licenses are now only sold as an annual subscription.

2. askmark

askmark Registered Member

@mood, @Umbra and @Lockdown

Many thanks for answering my questions :thumb:

The three year Business licence costs a little bit less than three years of paying annually for Personal thats why I was concerned with the differences.

3. Lockdown

Lockdown Developer

Then that would be the better deal then over a 3 year period. If you just want to purchase a single year, then Personal is a better deal.

4. askmark

Thanks for the advice.

If I install AG in a VM for testing and familiarisation purposes, can I then later unistall AG and install it on my main PC?

5. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

Yes, be sure to uninstall it while online, so the server can see the uninstallation and won't block you to install it again.

But honestly you have nothing to fear even on real system, files won't be deleted as does AVs , some softwares may be blocked (depending which mode is used) but you can unblock them manually.

Better learn AG on real system.

6. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

Is it still advisable to disable protected view in Trust Settings of MS Office applications with AppGuard 4.4.6.1? I believe this was mentioned in the official FAQ, but I don't see anything about it now. The FAQ now is for 5.x. Disabling protected view was to avoid an error while opening Office files downloaded on the internet or other areas triggering protected view.

Oh, I just found this, but this is meant for the Enterprise version: http://www.appguardus.com/index.php/appguard/enterprise/enterprise-support

7. Lockdown

Lockdown Developer

If you install AppGuard inside a virtual machine, then the VM will be detected as a different machine than the real system (PC itself). You have to uninstall AppGuard in the VM - and not just delete the VM - otherwise you will "consume" one of the license activations. Do this too many times, then the license will be deactivated and you will have to contact Support to reactivate the license.

After you uninstall AppGuard from the VM, then you can reinstall it on the real system (PC itself).

Rule to Always Follow: Uninstall AppGuard in the VM; do not simply delete the VM without uninstalling AppGuard first. This also applies if you clean install the OS. Uninstall AppGuard from the system prior to performing an OS clean install.

8. Lockdown

Lockdown Developer

I currently have 2016 Office 365 for Business installed along side AppGuard Personal 5.2.9.1. In Office 365 Trust Center Protected View settings are all enabled by default.

I can download various document types and open them and get no Office Trust Center > Protected View enabled related errors.

I am not seeing any issues. If you see such an issue please report it for Office 2016 versions. For older versions of Office you might or might not see Trust Center issues. Follow the guide that you linked if you see any issues with earlier versions of Office.

9. askmark

Thanks for the advice.

I'm wary of introducing conflicts with Hitmanpro.Alert and Comodo Firewall by installing AG.

Are their any specific configuration changes i need to make to AG to avoid incompatibility with other security software?

10. askmark

Thanks for explaining everything so clearly and concisely. I will heed your advice and always uninstall AG.

11. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

Thanks, @Lockdown! :)

12. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

Yes, if you use HMPA, add hmpa.exe to AG's Power Apps. Comodo is unnecessary, AG will block way better than Comodo HIPS. However, if you need some other comodo's features (FW, sandbox, etc...), just add Comodo's processes to Power Apps (to avoid blocks or conflicts).

13. paulderdash

paulderdash Registered Member

I used to have this, but then removed it and have since not noticed anything untoward.

Although of course it won't cause any issues, IIRC @Lockdown's advice was to only add to Power Apps as a last resort if one encounters problems.

14. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

The only thing I do with HMP.A and AppGuard is to put CryptoGuard's folder into exception and User Space=Yes. I believe those have been the advice in the past. :)

15. paulderdash

In my case I only have the c:/windows/cryptoguard folder as exception Guarded Apps>Settings.

16. Umbra

Umbra Registered Member

Me too, i just put HMPA in Power Apps to avoid potential (and future) conflicts.

17. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

The User Space = Yes is only to plug the hole introduced because of the exception rule. At least, that's what I understood. :)

18. paulderdash

OK, I don't remember that recommendation. I haven't had issues yet, but then I've not been infected either!

19. paulderdash

Yep I exclude all other security softs in each security soft. In the case of HMPA I trust you, it probably is a good thing to put in Power Apps.

20. Lockdown

Lockdown Developer

Don't add HMP.A to Power Apps. It isn't necessary.

21. Lockdown

Lockdown Developer

C:\Windows\CryptoGuard folder should be made an Exception folder on the Guarded Apps tab > Settings > Add to the list and set it to Read\Write.

It is so backup files can be written to this System Space folder (C:\Windows\Cryptoguard) when HMP.A detects a file-encrypting infection. For HMP.A technicals ask Mark or Erik.

22. Lockdown

Lockdown Developer

It isn't necessary. It is not recommended. Programs should be added to Power Apps only in the case of breakage that cannot be solved any other way.

If you don't understand why then I will re-explain it.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2017
  23. illumination

illumination Guest

@Lockdown "of course" is correct. You do not need to place an application in Power Apps unless something is being blocked that can not other wise be taken care of "which it states this in the Power Apps section".

An example, I'm running Norton Security and Norton Wifi Privacy beside Appguard. Both NS and NWP are running just fine with no other exceptions needed. Norton Power Eraser on the other hand "built into NS" was blocked while trying to run, I took care of this by placing it in User Space. I have absolutely not had one application break to the point of needing Power Apps yet.

24. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

It's amazing, you still miss the point. I simply don't trust any app, so I will always need HIPS. It's mostly Memory Guard that makes AG interesting to me, I think more HIPS should offer this. Simply auto-block memory reading and writing and you probably don't have to worry about code injection attacks anymore.

I do the same, I block all processes that are not white-listed with EXE Radar, the goal of this approach is to block malware delivered via exploits. But when I do decide to install some app, I still need HIPS to monitor for suspicious behavior. But not everyone sees the need for this, depends on how paranoid someone is.

This is the stuff that gives me a headache.

25. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

Then why do you bother with this thread. It is for folks who want to learn about Appguard, and Lockdown has been a great teacher. With about 10 minutes setup time, Appguard will silently block everything that is thrown at you that you wouldn't want run. THAT is the point you are refusing to except. The closest thing to the old HIPS you want is ReHips and you won't try that.