AppGuard 4.x 32/64 Bit - Releases

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Jryder54, Oct 29, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@XhenEd

Do you mind providing your system OEM and model # along with the OS version ?

For example, Toshiba Satellite s55t-B5150 W8.1...

2. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

HP Pavilion 14-v241tx
    Windows 10 Home Single Language

3. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

What language ? You wouldn't believe how many times a specific localization causes problems. In this case, I don't think it is the language - so I'm just trying to be thorough - just in case...

4. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

I really have no idea what Single Language means. If it's helpful, Languages says English (Philippines).

5. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Single Language is an edition.
    Just like Windows 7 has Ultimate, Pro, etc. or Windows 8.1 has Enterprise, Single Language too.
    OEMs have this special edition available from Microsoft for their machines because it's cheaper compared to retail editions sold to general public.

6. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

Thanks for explaining!

7. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

There is a bug with AG's logging, sometimes it logs blocked events 2-3 minutes after the block occurs. Is there any chance that it blocked something 2-3 minutes before you set AG to off?

8. Roberteyewhy

Roberteyewhy Registered Member

Yes that is the case. Almost every time I switch to either Off or Install Mode there is 1 event that appears in Activity Report. Usually, it is Intel writing to the registry.

I still will not use Install Mode.

Thanks for asking,
    Robert

9. Cutting_Edgetech

Cutting_Edgetech Registered Member

Do you mean it was the logging bug, or did you confirm that something is being blocked when AG is Off?

10. Roberteyewhy

To be honest, not very sure. I just clear the log and continue installing, but I hover my mouse over AG periodically until the install has finished. I do not worry that much as I always install with Revo Uninstaller Pro. But, as I have stated, back in the day when using Install Mode the install(s) would terminate. That's why I never use Install Mode.

Hopefully, you and hjlbx are correct and it is just AG recording a past event and is not impeding the install when in Off mode.

Robert

P.S. When I clean install Win 10 Pro (v1607) I will pay closer attention when I install my software in Off mode.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  11. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I have never had an install fail in Install mode, but I have seen "flaky" block events recorded in Activity Report.

This is one of those bugs that is very difficult to diagnose - and it can't be fixed until it can be reliably reproduced at-will.

12. Roberteyewhy

I agree 100%. Reproduce at-will. Otherwise, random/sporadic occurrence and could be user specific.

Last edited: Aug 2, 2016
  13. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

@hjlbx
    Gotcha!
    This happened when I opened the installer through IDM (IDM could be a factor).
    I chose to retry in the options, but still failed.
    I turned AppGuard Off, and it proceeded.

Attached Files:

14. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Please... would you give me download link for exact version of IDM you used ?

Same with CCleaner ?

15. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

IDM 6.25 build 24
    CCleaner Free 5.20 Slim version

16. Mr.X

Mr.X Registered Member

Code:
    http://download.internetdownloadmanager.com/commerce/2odlksMSLPFNW84503ksu99vnwud/idman625build24f.exe

https://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/download/slim

17. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

To add, I have added IDM to the Guarded Apps list. I'm just guessing that maybe IDM is the factor why installations fail.

18. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

Same behavior if IDM is removed from Guarded Apps list ?

CCleaner installer might be inheriting Guarded status from IDM...

19. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

@Mister X - thanks bro...

20. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

I haven't tried that yet. I will try that later.
    Yes, it could be that installers inherit the status of the Guarded app, IDM in this case.

21. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

If CCleaner inherits Guarded status, then it cannot write to System Space (e.g. - c:\program files or c:\program files (x86)) nor write to protected areas of registry.

22. guest

guest Guest

This can be the problem.
    I switched to Install-Mode, i updated an mp3-player (that was a guarded app) and AG blocked something.
    After i unticked it in Guarded Apps, i updated it again and there were no errors anymore.

23. XhenEd

XhenEd Registered Member

I just tried! CCleaner installer was successful!
    We're right, @hjlbx !
    Guarded IDM is the culprit. I unchecked IDM in the Guarded Apps List, then ran the installer through it, and the installer was successful. (To be sure, I also ran the file again while IDM is still Guarded, and it failed.)

@mood
    Yup! Confirmed!

24. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

In Install mode, Guarded Apps are still Guarded. I will have to find out if that is by intended design - I think it is.

That being said, according to the documentation Guarded Apps can be updated in-place while in Protected Mode - if their digital signature is added to the Trusted Publisher's list.

So if the digital certificate infos are not on the Trusted Publisher list, then AppGuard must be set to Off in order to update the Guarded App.

On my system, with AppGuard set to Install, it recorded a block event of Kingsoft WPS writing to c:\windows\tasks.

However, I could not reproduce it -- and way back then I did not check to see if the WPS update task (*.job) files was written to c:\windows\tasks - and it was only a logging error.

In Off mode, even if a program is on the Guarded Apps list, then AppGuard should not interfere with any installs.

25. hjlbx

hjlbx Guest

I am trying to hunt-down a reliably reproducible case where:

A. An UnGuarded App is blocked from installing or creating files\registry keys while AppGuard is set to Install.

B. Any app is blocked from installing or creating files\registry keys while AppGuard is set to Off.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.