AppDefend

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by marse.robert, Feb 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marse.robert

marse.robert Registered Member

Hi all,

I have a licenced version of Regdefend. Today, I downloaded the "trial" of AppDefend. Without any doubt, I want these two Applications running on my computer.

However! Whilst I can find a Help File for the Regdefend I cannot find one for the AppDefend. I also noted that the Ghost Suite is in beta form - is this the current issue?

As I am new to these two Applications, following the many Posts and Threads appertaining to these issues is quite daunting. So, I was hoping to find a help file on Appdefend and the Ghost Suite is Beta version 1.110: are these two issues of no consequence?

2. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Yeah the current version of appdefend on the website is a beta version but personally i've found no major issues with it. Even tho the current beta version states its a trial it actually never expires so you can have a good play with it and if you like it then purchase it when the final version is released. If you are feeling adventurous you can try the new alpha version available from this site.

I actually dont know if there is a help file or not, you may have to ask jason about that.

3. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

There is no official help file, but if you search these forums you will learn pretty much all you need to know. It is kind of an unofficial help file. :)

4. Kacor

Kacor Registered Member

Hello Jason,

Could you give us some info on what you are woking and when we can expect the new AD to come out?

Thanks in advance. :)

5. Jason_R0

Jason_R0 Developer

I have been private beta testing the new app which will be the new GSS code base over the past 2 weeks, and a public beta release is coming very soon for that app. Once that is out and the new code is well tested it won't take very long to retrofit GSS with it, a few weeks after the release of this next app is my estimate.

6. Kacor

Kacor Registered Member

Hardly waiting for the new GSS version! :)
    The market share left behind by Diamondcs is being overtaken.
    I wish you the best.

7. Kacor

Kacor Registered Member

Hello Jason,

What do you think about adding 2 useful features to GSS?

A sort of 'installation mode' instead of totally 'disabling' GSS when installing a
    trustful app. Which means letting a 'good' app install without popups but still protecting all other parts of the system in the meanwhile. A sort of 'selective' learning mode comparing it to PG's total learning mode. (Not my idea.)

Just to indicate somehow the security state of GSS:
    For example when AD and/or RD disabled - the icon on the traybar truns red or starts blinking just to draw user's attention somehow like in case of Ghostwall.

8. berng

berng Registered Member

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=619784&postcount=32

9. Kacor

Kacor Registered Member

Hello Berng,

Thanks for the link above. However, its date is of 30th November 2005.
    Do you happen to know about these features having been already added to GSS?
    Kacor

10. berng

berng Registered Member

Hi Kacor,
    There hasn't been a new version for over a year. Jason came out with an Alpha but looking at the threads no one has mentioned that this change is in there.

11. f3x

f3x Registered Member

There's many way to make the GSS suite more convenient to use and believe me, and to suggest such way is a big part of my forum posts ;)

However if you take the last public alpha as an example i believe that most development of the new GSS will be to make it more secure and robust. Eg start earlier, cover more area, don't be fooled by long or malformed registry entry, be harder to attack if someone want to hide from gss, etc.

About the tray icon, the only thing i can assure you is that GSS GUI will be at the heart of Jason work for the next few weeks ;) An application created to test the possibility of some new graphical code will be released soon as Jason already stated.

12. Optimist

Optimist Registered Member

next millennium! o_O

13. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

I'll believe it when i see it on the servers. ;)

Jason, said the same thing a year ago.............in a few weeks yada yada yada, a release may be "just around the corner" this time (finally), i will simply say this: Let him produce a stable released version & i will believe it. :)

14. Hillsboro

Hillsboro Registered Member

Couldn't have said it better... I paid 39.95usd each for AD and RD over a year ago and since then all i gave seem is "yada yada yada" since then from Jason. Yes I know, I was a chump. If anyone still believes AD is just a "... few weeks away" I got a deal on a bridge for them in Brooklyn, USA they will just love.

All I can think of now is Jason was a part of DCS and the MO similarities and excuses appear to be part and parcel of the DCS party line. Cut of the same cloth, or so it seems.

I am sure this may prompt responses to, ' give him a little more time... Jason is running a one man shop, etc...' Yeah right to that too... It doesn't change the fact that I and others paid 39.95usd for Alpha-ware based on the promise of soon to be release, BS...

15. siliconman01

siliconman01 Registered Member

16. Optimist

Optimist Registered Member

I agree!!!!! :mad:

17. topmoxie

topmoxie Registered Member

My point exactly, his 1.2 has been up since december. Five months and no update, its not like he doesnt know whats wrong, plenty have told him, he hasnt done a thing, I am sorry I bought it and anyone else thinking about it should just forget it. I am not supporting it if he cant or wont.

18. SystemJunkie

SystemJunkie Resident Conspiracy Theorist

I personally find it very strange, I also like to program, but 5 month and nothing that´s indeed strange. I never want any money for my stuff if I do not make regular updates and react to the feedback of testers.

The same thing with AAK developpers how one can create a product wants 50 or more bucks for a totally out of date software and does no updates on regular basis, damn what´s wrong in this world. Those who really struggle don´t earn a buck those who make a lazy one take the cash. But surely not forever.

19. berng

berng Registered Member

I’m sure just about everyone has read these complaints about Jason. There were long times when we didn’t hear from him but lately he’s become much more active.

The forums here reflect on Wilder’s and Wilder’s is a reputable site which wants to maintain their reputation. The Wilder’s administrators must know about these issues and I assume would not keep Jason’s forum active if they felt he will not produce. Look at what happened to DiamondCS.

He did come up with the alpha. Personally, I think Jason’s a perfectionist who’s trying to get everything perfect. Not an easy thing to do especially with all the external software changes which interact with his product.

His main failing is that he does not communicate on a timely manner.

20. topmoxie

did you pay sixty dollars for promises, the new alpha has been there for 5 months, long time for no update, it doesnt take that long, with all these people explaining what the problems are, so give us another yah da yah da

21. berng

berng Registered Member

I have no idea at all how long this should take. Maybe Jason wants to do everything at once. His first release, a beta was impressively well done. I hope we'll get something just as impressive.

You stated it won't take that long. Is this from your knowledge of the internals of his program, windows internals, other application internals and how they all interact with each other? Do you think you can do better?

Buy the product from Jason, develop it yourself and we will see how long it will take you.

22. topmoxie

Well it doesnt take a year and a half for an update or even 5 months, and there are problems with the old one, as there will be with the new one even if it takes him 10 more years, and can you answer questions or are you like Jason and have no answers, which I quess you dont you have no since of time

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  23. SystemJunkie

That may be possible.

Lots of money for such kind of support.

But one man show takes 100times more time to code that´s for sure.

Last edited: May 5, 2007
  24. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

The problem seems to be that just one person is doing all the research, design, programming and testing for software that has to be specially tailored to multiple versions of Windows (2000, XP, 2003, Vista, x64, etc). And that one person may well also be handling all the overheads of running a website, managing a small business and liasing with a beta tester group.

Bearing in mind all that, it would seem a near miracle that he can actually produce any product. Perhaps he's managed to clone himself... ;)

25. SystemJunkie

:D :D :D

He really seems to have a management problem. If he really wanted to make it big then he would definitely need some coworkers. (e.g. someone for Design, WebDesign, product promoter...)

But I know exactly how it is, we always want to make anything alone and that will result in stagnation or slow evolution.

Damn, damn, if human being were simply more reasonable then everything would grow much faster.

But to do something alone is also very attractive and a challenge for human ego. That´s the reason.
    In case of materialistic thoughts someone wants to get the whole cake instead of giving someone a part.

We in Germany would say this is a milk girl calculation, concerning the materialistic aspects.
    (Time you invest stands in total contradiction to money you receive in meantime.)

But if sometimes..10 years later.. anything works.. then it might be cool, except the health would suffer..
    time is money.. life is health... iron stamina to reach the destination! Good luck.

Or how diamondcs would say: Rest your eyes often and don´t underestimate the value of this tip. :D :D :D

Last edited: May 6, 2007
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.