Appdefend Works well in Vista

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by Shikra, Oct 3, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Shikra

Shikra Registered Member

Hi,
    Currently running Vista Post RC1 build 5728 (32bit). I found the existing firewall built into vista is very good. It passes all the tests at GRC.com as well as pcflank.com.

But since the outbound connection are not controlled, I wanted a port monitor / blocker at least if there is no firewall. I just was frustrated at the lack of 3rd party firewalls in Vista. I tried almost all the port monitors available. All failed either to install or to run except AppDefend.

The present trial download works well except that it complains unified driver loading problem if started from HKLM\Run. If I disable this from registry as well as from settings option in Appdefend and start manually it works perfectly.

Regdefend also works fine but I have disabled it for now.

2. turion

turion Registered Member

That's good news since Microsoft blocked the access to the kernel in Vista which is why many tools aren't working as you have noticed. This will ofcourse cause problems to third party developers of software security.

3. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

Thanks for the info. That is a bit surprising, atleast to a layman like me. I thought all the fuzz was about programs like Appdefend shouldnt work properly on Vista without forbidden breaking the law set by MS.... or maybe Appdefend doesnt go "deep" enough?

4. Hermescomputers

Hermescomputers Registered Member

Anyone tried it on Vista X64 ?

5. thesnowman

thesnowman Registered Member

What do you mean it doesn't go "deep enough" ?

6. Hermescomputers

The Problem in Vista is the same as in XP Pro X64. A similar patch blocks kernel hooks.

7. thesnowman

thesnowman Registered Member

But i thought AppDefend worked in vista? Isn't that the point of this thread poster? Im confused.

8. Hermescomputers

Vista comes in two flavor (not counting the 6 different versions) The two flavors are 32 and 64 bit. I am speaking of the 64 bit part since 32 bit is of no interest to me or anyone with current and future computers since they are now all 64 bit.

You may want to read what Jason has to say about it. Pay close attention to the "Anti Ghost" statement it speaks volumes:
    https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=933843&postcount=12

As for the 32 bit version of Vista. It is more like a $200.00 Service pack with a minor face lift... Really not worth the money if you ask me. None of the important security features are included... (The good stuff is in the higher priced packages) All the new features part of the cheaper versions of Vista would be better included in a service pack for XP Pro and X64 than for some poor looser waisting $200.00 paid for something like that... (just my 2 cents worth...).

Last edited: Feb 2, 2007
  9. Infinity

Infinity Registered Member

I didn't knew that .. Thanx for the headsup HermesComputers and indeed if that's the case it's not worth the money.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.