AppDefend (Which Version?)

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by G1111, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

I have a license for RegDefend and have been running it (with Tony Klein's rule set) for almost 3 years now. Great program. I also run ProcessGuard and WormGuard. With the apparent demise of DiamondCS i decided to go with AppDefend. Before I purchased the license to AppDefend I removed RegDefend version 2.001 from my system and loaded this version (which I thought was Version 3 of RegDefend) https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=189957 it loaded but it had only AppDefend. Which version of AppDefend can I run and still keep RegDefend?
    I know the combined GUI AppDefend/RegDefednd is not finished and I would like to run separate AppDefend and RegDefend (most stable versions).

2. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Hi,

The version offering a complete contol over the use of both RD and AD can be downloaded from http://www.ghostsecurity.com/appdefend/ .

With this version you have access to all settings of AD and RD even disabling any of them.

The other link you mention is still a very early version of the would-be AD&RD.
    In this version you do not have access to RD rules - you can only set them up when having a pop-up. It is not possibile to turn RD on/off either. So it is rather incomplete yet.

3. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks. Do I need to remove my current version of RegDefend 2.001 before installing AppDefend? Are there any known conflicts with KAV or Outpost which I am also running? Any special things you need to do when installing as it does not have a learning mode. It seemed when I loaded another beta version that it just asks for a lot of permissions the first time around.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2008
  4. xtree

xtree Registered Member

Yes, it is recommended to remove the previous version of RD before installing the new one.

I don't know, do not have them on my machine but if you look around on the forum you'll probably find something about conflicts.

Yes, there are quite a lot of pop-ups in the beginning but later on only the newcomers will bring them up.

5. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks xtree. I download version 1.0 from the website. I also see there is a 1.300 alpha build. Is the 1.300 stable? I read there are some minor problems with it. Can you turn RegDefend on/off with the 1.300 version?

6. xtree

xtree Registered Member

For your info:
    The second half of my answer referred actually to 1.3 Alpha.

7. G1111

G1111 Registered Member

Thanks xtree for the responses. I now have AppDefend 1.000 and RegDefend 2.050 running. Ran all my programs. Only one hung (Google Earth) access to physical memory stalled AppDefend. I dumped that one for now. Everything else running very smoothly. After running AppDefend for awhile I am quite happy with it. I said goodbye and uninstalled ProcessGuard. I thank Wayne for 3 years of solid protection. Sorry to see it go. My hat is off to Jason though for creating a great program to replace it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.