AppDefend hanging

Discussion in 'Ghost Security Suite (GSS)' started by mplant99, Nov 7, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mplant99

mplant99 Registered Member

Hi all,

I have the latest beta of GSS installed and have registered both components (RegDefend and AppDefend). RegDefend runs like a champ while AppDefend has really been acting up of late (last couple of months) to the point where I run GSS with it disabled for long stretches because dealing with it has gotten rather tedious. The main problem is that I'll try to launch a program and get a warning from AppDefend. I then click on "allow always" and AppDefend freezes up and, even more irritatinlgy, stays on top. Meanwhile the app that I'm trying to install fails to launch and I get an error message from windows "Windows can not access the specific device, path, file> You may not have the appropriate permissions to access the Item". *Sometimes* AppDefend will sort itself out and close. I then simply restart the application I was trying to launch and all is well (the "allow always" instruction has been saved). More often than not, though, I eventually resort to killing GSS and restarting it. It's at this point that I generally disable AppDefend.

This raises a peripheral issue that has been raised before: when a GSS component is disabled, it would REALLY be useful if the system tray icon could indicate this graphically. I have often disabled both AppDefend and RegDefend in order to install an app and then neglect to re-enable them. I'll discover this days later!

I am running WinXP Pro Sp-2 fully patched, Spy Sweeper 5.2, ZoneAlarm Pro 6.5 (firewall only), and AVG Pro 7.5. I also have Office 2003 Pro installed.

Thanks,

Mike

Last edited: Nov 7, 2006
  2. sukarof

sukarof Registered Member

I had the same problem when I had GSS installed. I am not sure but I fantasized it has to do with the installer of the software I was installing, because it did not happen with all installs. Maybe the installer (or windows) has some kind of timer, ie if the driver or whatever isnt installed within a certain time the installer will shut down. When appdefend is waiting for the answer from you the specified time runs up and starts a shutdown sequence but since AD havent got any answer from you (in the time limit ) the driver that was supposed to get installed hangs in limbo and conflicts with the shutdown process of the installer who is trying to shut down the driver that is locked(?) by GSS.

Now, this is just a wild idea I had, it probably isn't like that at all, but anyway the only way for me was to shut down appdefend during installs and that did obstruct the whole purpose of AD imo :(

I agree that any software that resides in the system tray should indicate if they are on or off, especially with security related software.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.