App to Allow/Disallow flash?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bellgamin, Mar 31, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

When I'm reading News online, some sites play flash newsreels that I do not want to see. All I want is to read the article.

I *think* I used to have some sort of app that would block flash & put a click spot on screen for me to allow it to run if I wanted it to do so.

Is there such an app? If so, help me find it please. (My main browser is Firefox)

2. Cimmerian

Cimmerian Registered Member

Try Flashblock. It should do nicely.

3. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

flashblock, noscript extention?

4. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I'm thinking that with NoScript, it blocks all Flash on untrusted websites. But, as soon as you whitelist that site, if the Flash is being hosted by that domain, it immediately starts playing it, instead of providing a "play button".

5. ABee

ABee Registered Member

If you use NoScript, simply disallowing scripts for such sites should allow you to still read the news while not seeing videos.

Alternatively, with AdBlock Plus, right-clicking on a video and adding it to your filter list will block it.
    That method may perhaps work only for individual videos though rather than every video, which would then require you to do the same on every new visit to the site or new page visited, or perhaps to make an adjustment in the filter (maybe via *wildcard), should all the videos emanate from the same domain.

A third method would be to right-click on the page, bring up 'view page info', go to 'media', and check the box to block images from the site.

But the first method via NoScript has always worked just fine for me.
    Videos normally can't display on a website unless scripting is enabled for that site.

6. sbseven

sbseven Registered Member

Flashblock would be the easiest.

7. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

bellgamin, proxomitron has an option in the config called "toggle flash" and what that does is replace the flash element with a small blue button that reads "toggle" and if you click it, the flash plays, if not, it remains a small blue box. if thats something you're looking for, i could post a screenshot.

chrome

8. Francis93

Francis93 Registered Member

Flashblock or NoScript.

9. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

THANKS all!!! :thumb:

Flashblock was the one I wanted! I remembered how it works but I didn't remember that it's a FF add-on.

NoScript works, but it is too much of a fuss-budget about other stuff. PITN, if you know what I mean.

10. J_L

J_L Registered Member

What does that mean? Pain in the noggin?

11. ABee

ABee Registered Member

Pain in the 'nertz', would be my guess.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.