AOL to Earthlink..sounded good, but

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Pretender, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Been with AOL since 1995 and haven't experience a lot of the horror stories that I've read about. Anyhow, Earthlink sends me a CD with a promotion offer. Here are two things that bother me and am not sure if they are good or bad:

When I completed connection to Earthlink then Zonealarm asked me if I would allow "InstallShield update service agent" to access the internet. Never heard of it before and didn't allow access. Anyone know what this is about?

Secondly, I went to dial-up networking in control panel and there was a dial-up profile connection that had been created for the IP address or Host name of 192.168.0.1 which appears to be a connection to some sort of shopping something or other. Anyone know about this one? Note: I did not use it for connection but the connect for it kept popping up whenever I started my computer so I checked it out some, but would prefer more info on it.

2. reply

reply Guest

192.168.0.1 is usually a local address, for let's say, a router.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

5. Pretender

Didn't think I would ever get thru reading that! Interesting. I haven't even got to setting prefs yet and I will shortly. Took me forever just to be able to access thru their service. I don't know about everyone else, but I JUST WANT TO USE AND ISP TO ACCESS THE INTERNET AND THEN IT CAN LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!

6. Pretender

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.