AOL to Earthlink..sounded good, but

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Pretender, Nov 8, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pretender

Pretender Registered Member

Been with AOL since 1995 and haven't experience a lot of the horror stories that I've read about. Anyhow, Earthlink sends me a CD with a promotion offer. Here are two things that bother me and am not sure if they are good or bad:

When I completed connection to Earthlink then Zonealarm asked me if I would allow "InstallShield update service agent" to access the internet. Never heard of it before and didn't allow access. Anyone know what this is about?

Secondly, I went to dial-up networking in control panel and there was a dial-up profile connection that had been created for the IP address or Host name of 192.168.0.1 which appears to be a connection to some sort of shopping something or other. Anyone know about this one? Note: I did not use it for connection but the connect for it kept popping up whenever I started my computer so I checked it out some, but would prefer more info on it.

2. reply

reply Guest

192.168.0.1 is usually a local address, for let's say, a router.

3. spy1

spy1 Registered Member

4. Primrose

Primrose Registered Member

5. Pretender

Didn't think I would ever get thru reading that! Interesting. I haven't even got to setting prefs yet and I will shortly. Took me forever just to be able to access thru their service. I don't know about everyone else, but I JUST WANT TO USE AND ISP TO ACCESS THE INTERNET AND THEN IT CAN LEAVE ME ALONE!!!!!

6. Pretender

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.