AOL pulls plug on Netscape Web browser

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by ronjor, Dec 28, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

Story

2. Hiker

Hiker Registered Member

I don't get it. I run AOL software mostly for email but tend to use Firefox as my browser in another window. As far as I can tell the AOL browser is IE.

3. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

I'm not not using AOL, so you may be correct about IE being the browser they use.

AOL acquired the rights to Netscape a few years ago. More info here.

4. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

You are correct. Strange indeed.

5. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

erm, aint really sure about that, but Netscape is based on Firefox.

6. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

7. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

The horse always comes before the cart and Netscape is the horse.
    Bubba

8. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Sorry to hear the news. I used Netscape back in 1996 when I first got online. It provided a more robust interface to the WWW than other programs at that time (especially the text based ones). C'est la vie. :(

9. Searching_ _ _

Searching_ _ _ Registered Member

No. Say it aint so, Joe, Say it aint so!
    I better start downloading from their browser archive then, and back up back up back up.

http://browser.netscape.com/downloads/archive/

IE download speeds 300kb, same connection with netscape 7, 500kb to 1200kb dl's.
    N7 and lower, only uses the gecko layout engine (not a MicroSucks product).
    N8 and above includes both the gecko layout engine (developed by Mozilla) and the Trident layout engine (developed by MicroSucks).

FireFox, uses both the gecko and trident motors. It wasn't released until 2003 (according to WIKI).
    Anything with MicroSucks built in must be vulnerable.

I'd like to add these:

http://community.netscape.com/nscpbrowser
    The Netscape message boards are a forum to discuss any Netscape-related topics.

http://www.mozilla.org/
    The Mozilla Foundation, creators of the popular Firefox ® browser, was created with donations and support from Netscape/AOL in 2003 so that work would continue on the Gecko codebase and Mozilla suite. Mozilla.org is a great resource for developers who would like to contribute to the Gecko open source project.

http://www.ufaq.org/
    The UFAQ was created in 1996 by John Oliver, Netscape Champion. The domain and site were created by Jay Garcia a few years later and continue to operate today. UFAQ.org is a great resource for support for older versions of Netscape applications.

http://sillydog.org/
    SillyDog701 is an independent website created by Antony Shen. The most popular section, the Netscape Browser Archive, has been an excellent resource since July 1999. The message board provides free technical support to Netscape users.

Last edited: Jan 4, 2008
  10. Rasheed187

Rasheed187 Registered Member

R.I.P. Netscape :)

I remember it was the first browser I´ve ever used, and I really didn´t want to make the switch to IE (in 98/99) but I just had to, it was simply quicker/less clunky. After that I never looked back, but I really loved the throbber, you know, with the comets. :D

11. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Just for the heck of it, I installed the last released version (9.0.0.6) of Netscape on my laptop. The icon buttons look puny. What was really odd was when I closed off the browser window, I continued to get outbound connection messages from the Netscape browser! That was the last straw. I uninstalled it. It looks too much like Firefox (which it is based on anyway). Anything that involves AOL, is the "touch of death".:blink:

12. InVitroVeritas

InVitroVeritas Registered Member

If memory serves me well, wasn't it the only browser with an integrated antispyware ? (might explain some outbound cnx).

13. chrome_sturmen

chrome_sturmen Registered Member

Netscape isn't based on firefox- it came far before firefox. Firefox is derived from netscape.

Back in the day when I used netscape, there was a cool add-on program for it called flying toolbars- basically, it made the browser navigation bar up top vanish, giving far more web page space- when the mouse was scrolled up far top- the browser navigation window appeared so you could do your navigation. It was quite cool- i'd use something like that today, if it were available.

14. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Don't know about that. Didn't read the documentation about the program. One of the outbound messages was trying to connect to an AOL server.

15. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I think the verb that I used was not appropriate to what I was trying to convey. The AOL Netscape browser has been following the same update patterns as Firefox. I meant the recent update patterns of both programs are related. So the updates were "based" on what was being done with the other program since they both have the same browser backbone.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.