AOL Instant Messenger problem

Discussion in 'NOD32 version 2 Forum' started by NotOnDemand32, Feb 2, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. NotOnDemand32

NotOnDemand32 Registered Member

After uninstalling NOD32 v2.5 and installing v2.7, my Verizon DSL (Westell 6100) modem started acting crazy while using AOL instant messenger. Red Internet light, no Internet light, blinking DSL light. I have spent about 25 hours on the phone with Verizon DSL tech support, AOL tech support, Microsoft PC Safety tech support and NOD32 (AntiVirus) tech support.

My machine is 333Mhz Dell, 287 MB RAM, 8 GB hard drive, Win 98SE, AOL 7.0, NOD32 v2.7. I really can't afford a slower/heavier virus scanner.

I have uninstalled/reinstalled my NOD32 software, AOL 7.0 software, modem firmware, installed new modem passwords etc, reconfigured registries, removed old modem and installed a new Westell 6100 modem, etc. Verizon has checked my lines and no problems, 860 kbps, 19/34 dB s/n ratio, etc.

AND still my modem is knocking me offline with its xmas-tree-like blinking array of lights.

NOD32 tech support has only offered a silly solution of disabling my IMON module. Why should I disable the module that will find 99% of all incoming viruses?? HELP!!! What's going on?

2. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Hello and Welcome to Wilders !

Please , disable IMON . This will not leave you unprotected ! AMON is still there to protect you , don't worry . You really have to disable it so we understand where the problem comes from

3. NotOnDemand32

Thanks for your reply HiTech_boy, but this is a bad solution :thumbd: disabling the IMON module. Why is IMON there if it is not needed? Why should anyone remove any level of defense against malware? Why should I pay $40 for something only worth $2, since 95% of the software will be disabled? I rather ask for a refund for NOD32 and use a slower scanner that actually works from another company. o_O

I'll tell you what, You disable your IMON module and if you are not hit with a virus one week from now and your system hasn't shut down and you are not staring at a blank screen, let me know, and I'll think about disabling my IMON module. :cautious:

4. ASpace

ASpace Guest

Of course I will not get any virus . It depends on you . I will not forget that AMON will protect me scanning all files on-access,on-create and on-execute . I do not advise you to permanently disable IMON but just temporary so that we see where the problem might come from . And IMON is not 95% of the whole protection . When you disable it , check with this test file and you'll see all the malware will be detected

5. NotOnDemand32

So, HighTech_boy, you are agreeing to my proposal? You will disable your IMON module for one week and let me know the results?

6. ASpace

ASpace Guest

No , I will not disable IMON but many people do run NOD32 without IMON , and these "many people" include lots of people who work for ESET . I asked you to just temporary unload IMON so that we understand if your router(modem) problem is caused by IMON or NOD32 has nothing to do with it . I did ask you this because you mention ESET Support asked you so .

I think you don't know exactly how NOD32 protect its users . NOD32 is unique anti-threat system which has its unique best technologies called ThreatSense.NOD32 runs as a service in Windows and has 4 resident modules running in memory - AMON , DMON , EMON , IMON . While all have their own role , AMON is the one that is the most important . Your computer needs protection for your files , and your files are stored on your hard disk drive . AMON does precisely that - it scans ALL files saved or runned on your hard disk , on-access , on-execute and on-create . DMON scans on API for macro viruses , EMON scans on MAPI , scans Office Outlook , IMON works on Winsock , it scans HTTP and POP3 traffic before reaching your computer . But no matter what you do , if you disable DMON , EMON and IMON and leave ON only AMON , the protection will still be excellent - signatures undated frequently , the best heuristics ... ThreatSense ! As a professional IT I have tested that and I can guarantee you that there is no room for worrying about temporary disabling IMON .

I am NOD32 reseller and a really big fan of NOD32 and will never suggest you something that might damage your machine :)

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 2, 2007
  7. NotOnDemand32

If you are so certain that disabling IMON will not cause any harm, why do you refuse to take your own advice and disable it? That tells me you are afraid of trying it yourself (i.e. you are providing bad advice).

By the way, my Bachelor of Science Degree is in the department of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science. Please do not tell me I don't understand the software.

8. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

I'll leave the individual discussion between you two but if I was to offer a suggestion....it would still entail disabling IMON but with the added comment....temporarily. You then re-test AOL Instant messenger and your findings would then dictate which direction to go.

9. ASpace

ASpace Guest

EDITED by me ... Sorry , Bubba !

10. Blackspear

Blackspear Global Moderator

What they have offered may simply be to see if IMON is indeed the culprit. Temporarily turning off IMON in this instance will not cause harm. If IMON proves to be the cause then there is a "logging" version of IMON that can be used to see what exactly is happening, to which ESET will endeavor to provide a solution.

Cheers :D

11. NotOnDemand32

OK I have tried disabling the IMON module according to the instructions given by ESET tech support, rebooting, etc. My modem is still having a red internet light or no internet light when I use AOL instant messenger. I didn't have this problem with NOD32 version 2.5, what has changed in version 2.7 that makes NOD32 incompatible with every thing in the known universe? :blink:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2007
  12. Blackspear

So this has just proven that IMON is not the cause, as having IMON not installed does not alleviate the problem.

13. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

Perhaps I am mis-understanding but if you have indeed disabled IMON and the light situation did not change how then is it still IMON as a possible problem ?

Edit
    Yeah....what BS said :eek: :blink:

14. NotOnDemand32

OK, so IMON isn't the problem, but something in v2.7 has changed that made it incompatible with AOL instant messenger (and MSN messenger by what I've seen in other postings). Do you think I can go back to v2.5 and get rid of my problem, or will I not get updates any more?

15. Blackspear

I do not believe this is a NOD32 issue, as there are no mass reported problems with MSN Messenger. It may simply be that either your Windows or Internet Explorer has become corrupt.

16. NotOnDemand32

How is it that the moment I installed NOD32 v2.7 my Windows or IE became corrupt? o_O This makes no sense. I've spent many hours with Microsoft about this issue, and we found no problems with MS software. Additionally, I am not running AIM (the IE version of Instant Messenger), I'm using the AOL software version of Instant Messenger. So it's not an Internet Explorer problem, my Internet Explorer works even when AOL Instant Messenger freezes up. Furthermore, ESET has noted that IMON is the culprit of many internet issues, and has determined to remove it entirely in the next version on NOD32. So, no one will have real-time internet scanning capability with NOD32 anymore. You wanted IMON turned off, now you got it. Everyone will be getting it. Be careful what you ask for, you just might get it. :cautious:

This is sad, I have loved the performance of NOD32 v2.5 without any issues, and when my 1-year contract expired I had to download v2.7 and now I can't chat with over 300 friends that I've made the world over. :'( Do I lose 300+ friends or a piece of software? The choice is simple: I have been looking into using Kapersky instead. I can't be resetting my modem and rebooting AOL software every 5 minutes for the rest of my life because my virus scanner makes it them both go crazy.

17. Blackspear

How is it that your computer is the only one seeing this issue should be more the relevant question.

The ONLY way they can tell you that for absolute certainty is to format and start again, as this doesn’t appear to have been the case, they can not be sure their software is not at fault.

This proves nothing whatsoever.

Not quite correct, IMON will be replaced as it is effective at the Winsock layer and there can only be one application on top position within the layer. IMON will be replaced with something better.

What’s your point, through starting a process of elimination you have just proved that IMON is NOT the issue. Continuing with a process of elimination may result in the culprit being found, or it may just point to a corrupt Windows or Hardware issue, but until that point no one knows.

See the answer above, making such a statement doesn’t get you any closer to finding what the cause is, it certainly doesn’t appear to have anything to do with NOD32.

Blackspear.

18. Bubba

Bubba Updates Team

It appears to me from your last paragraph that you are giving up on Nod32 :doubt:

However....if that is not the case perhaps you would attempt a few more things which may provide assistance for future users of AOL IM and Nod32. Granted....I am not an AOL user and as We both know...one can't just simply install that software in order to attempt to re-create what another user is seeing. So....would you mind temporarily disabling ALL the default scheduled tasks....reboot and see what if anything is the result. I realize you may consider this as grabbing at straws but it's not something easily reproducible without actually installing AOL. Perhaps it is one of the scheduled tasks....system file check, update after logon, update after dial-up connection....etc.

Bubba

19. NotOnDemand32

Apparently you just don't get it. Many people have reported internet compatibility issues with NOD32 v2.7. Yesterday I spoke with ESET technical support, and IMON will be removed from the next version, and no replacement made, since AMON is the central module, and IMON (or any other) is redundant. You don't have to believe anything they say.

And for your information, a whole world exists outside of wilderssecurity.com - and there are many postings on many websites by many people regarding many internet connectivity issues with NOD32 v2.7. So, just because you spend your entire life reading the postings of only ONE privately controlled (i.e. ESET) news group, that doesn't mean I'm the only person with this problem. :isay:

20. Blackspear

I certainly do, this is actually what an ESET employee who knows what is coming out in version 3.0 and works for the Development Office in Slovakia had to say on IMON.

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showpost.php?p=492786

If that was correct, why on earth would ESET choose to have EMON, DMON and IMON in their software :rolleyes:

Well we see thousands of people through this forum, as well we see Resellers, Distributors and ESET staff, and there are no masses of issues forthcoming on the matter.

Temporary stop AMON and that is the final module, after this for certain the issue is not NOD32 related, as both modules will have been unloaded.

Blackspear.

21. NotOnDemand32

OK, for the THIRD time, I'll say it again. On this and OTHER SITES many people have posted problems with internet connectivity and messenger issues with NOD32 v2.7. You are an employee, and it is certainly expected of you to say good things about your employer. I am the customer and I am dissatisfied with the new versions performance.

Furthermore, disabling AMON would be the STUPIDEST thing that anyone could possibly do, to get on the internet without any virus scanning protection whatsoever. Are you willing to reimburse me for any damages incurred, loss of data, hardship, loss of business, etc when I get hit with 10,000 viruses in a few minutes of time? Your response is being sent to the adminstrative offices of ESET for their review. Telling anyone to get on the internet without protection is dangerous.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 3, 2007
  22. snapdragin

snapdragin Registered Member

Hello,

First, to address a few things here.
    You have said this several times yet you have not provided any links to these other posts, so there is no way we would be able to determine if the issues mentioned in those 'other posts' are similar to your own, or what if any solutions were found for them.
    No one in this thread that has replied and offered suggestions, are ESET staff. HiTech_boy is a member here, and Blackspear & Bubba are volunteer Wilders Security Staff. This may be the Official NOD32 forum you are posting in, but it is not owned by ESET. This forum is owned by Paul Wilders & LowWaterMark. You can find a listing of Wilders Security Staff here.
    We can only offer suggestions to try and narrow down the reason for your problem. Temporarily disabling IMON will not infest your computer with 10,000 viruses, so let's be rational here.

You said in your first post:
    You may just have a faulty modem, or it isn't handling the many connections instant messengers bring on. You haven't mentioned if you're using a software firewall or not either. There could be many reasons for such a connection issue but you seem to want to just target one software as being the culprit even though disabling IMON should have proven that it isn't NOD32. It could help if you mention what other security software you have installed....firewall, anti-spyware, pop-up blockers, previously uninstalled anti-virus, etc.
    That's fine. We usually do request that members post a link to their thread when contacting Eset Support. ;)

NotOnDemand32, we're here to help but we can't help you if you're not willing to help yourself by offering more information. You've done a lot of installing and uninstalling, and that makes it even more difficult to narrow down what the problem could be. But at this moment, it's not looking like it's your anti-virus.

23. BlueZannetti

BlueZannetti Registered Member

NotOnDemand32,

This is a simple challenge-response experiment. No more, no less. If you wish to probe whether or not NOD32 is a part of the issue, a standard diagnostic approach is to either remove modules or the entire program and observe the response. My own approach is to use both schemes since disabling modules is often not equivalent to removing them for a number of reasons.

However, as noted above, this behavior is actually more akin to a hardware issue. Simply stated, a filter operating on your PC should impact a separate piece of hardware in the fashion described. It may disrupt connectivity at the PC level, but this is transparent to a separate hardware device which will blithely continue sending packets down the line.
    I do believe you overstate the situation here. You will not get hit with anything as long as some simple, prudent actions are taken while you are connected. I assume you do have a router/firewall already, as these are the primary tools to use to avoid unsolicited infection. Solicited infection is avoided by restricting activity to known good sites during the test period, and that's not a terribly difficult goal to achieve. As a point of reference, I've removed all protection on occasion while debugging compatibility issues. It can be done, done safely, and without panic.

As for the seeming correlation between a version upgrade and a problem appearing, it should never be dismissed, nor should alternate scenarios be dismissed out of hand because of the apparent correlated behavior. Happenstance correlations are a fact of life.

Finally, while frustration in this type of situation is understandable, let's focus on working the problem since that's the only path to a solution.

Blue

24. Mr2cents

Mr2cents Registered Member

I've got the same modem as you do. I have no dog in this fight. as I run Kav antivirus. The 6100 has a hardware router built in. I don't think this is a nod32 problem.

#1 Do you have a software firewall ? If so, make sure you aren't blocking the connection to aol.

#2. The red light blinking on the westell 6100 sometimes means the modem is going bad. Is the modem making a clicking sound? Sometimes they make a clicking sound before they die.

#3. If you want to be sure it isn't nod32...disable nod completely. This will have to be a decision you make. I can't see any harm in disabling nod completely for a couple of minutes..Then try to log on to aol. If you still can't log on, then it isn't a nod issue. The problem lies elsewhere.

25. NotOnDemand32

OK for the FINAL time, since no one is reading my posts before responding with the same suggestions that I have already tried:

1. I HAVE NO OTHER SOFTWARE OR HARDWARE FIREWALL, VIRUS SCANNER, OR ANYTHING REMOTELY SIMILAR ON MY SYSTEM. MY COMPUTER HAS BEEN REBUILT FROM SCRATCH, REFORMATTED THE HARDDRIVE, REINSTALLED WINDOWS, ETC. THERE IS NO TRACE OF ANY THING ON MY SYSTEM.

2. FOR THE PEOPLE WHO DON'T READ OTHER POSTINGS: BLACKSPEAR DID IN FACT IDENTIFY HIMSELF AS A KNOWLEDGEABLE EMPLOYEE. DON'T TELL ME NO ONE HERE IS NOT EMPLOYED BY ESET.

3. GET OFF THIS SITE FOR ONE MINUTE OF YOUR SHELTERED LIVES AND SEARCH FOR "AOL INSTANT MESSENGER PROBLEMS WITH NOD32" AND SEE HOW MANY HITS YOU GET - AND ACTUALLY READ THEM BEFORE YOU LASH OUT AT ME FOR HAVING THIS PROBLEM.

4. AGAIN I REPEAT, PLEASE READ: MY MODEM IS BRAND NEW. IMMEDIATELY AFTER UNINSTALLING NOD32 V2.5 AND INSTALLING NOD32 V2.7, MY MODEM WENT WACKO. SO I GOT A NEW ONE FROM MY DSL PROVIDER AND INSTALLED IT. THE SAME PROBLEM EXISTS AND ONLY WHEN USING AOL INSTANT MESSENGER. MY DSL PROVIDER CHECKED EVERY PARAMETER ON THE MODEM AND FOUND NO PROBLEM. I EVEN REINSTALLED THE FIRMWARE AND CHANGED PASSWORDS ON THE NEW MODEM.

5. AGAIN, MY AOL SOFTWARE HAS BEEN UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED, THE PROBLEM STILL EXISTS.

6. I REPEAT, READ CAREFULLY: THIS PROBLEM DOES NOT AFFECT ANY OTHER SOFTWARE OR INTERNET ACCESSIBILITY. THIS PROBLEM ONLY OCCURS WHILE USING AOL INSTANT MESSENGER, WHICH I REPEAT, WAS UNINSTALLED AND REINSTALLED. THIS PROBLEM DOES NOT OCCUR WHEN USING INTERNET EXPLORER.

7. DO NOT REPLY TO ANY OF MY POSTS UNLESS YOU HAVE READ THEM FIRST, PARTICULARLY THIS ONE AND MY ORIGINAL POST. YOU ARE PROVIDING NO HELP BY READING ONLY EVERY 5TH WORD IN EACH POST AND BLINDLY STANDING BY ESET'S PRODUCTS.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.