AOL dialler problem

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Michael_aust, Feb 27, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

I'm on AOL for the time being and this is really getting annoying. AOL claim the the connectivty manager thing they force you to install stops aol from dialling the wrong numbers. This is (excuse my english), Bull S**t. When I check what numbe ri am connected to i occasionaly find it has dialed a number whihc is about 15 digits long and does not begin with 0808. The only way to stop this is 2 manualy select what numbers aol dials, if i use the use best numbers feature it happens. so far it has connected about 15 times with it and iv cut it off when i see it. luckaly its only bene like 5 seconds or so that it been connected eac time. Anyway i have ran numerous scans with Adaware, Spybot S&D, Ewido, A squared and avast. They have found nothing. Is this just a probel with aol's crappy software. I have bene to there live help and phoned them about 15 times. Each tiem cutting it off because i get so frustrated. They say it cant happen the aol software doesnt allow it, which it clearly does. does anyone have any idea what happening here am i infected with something?

This is partly the reason why im leaving aol next month

Michael

2. AnthonyG

AnthonyG Registered Member

If it were me i would politely ask for an AOL second level phone technician. These guys definitely know their stuff and could defintiely help. The first people you usually speak to are i guess just undergone basic AOL technical training. But when i had a serious problem with my computer which was runing my internet connection i phoned AOL six times and spoke to six different people who would fob me off with the usual same advice until one of them got sick and put me through to a second level technician, this guy spent (honestly) over two hours on the phone going through some extremelly complex and impressive steps which in the end fixed my computer and internet connection.

Second if you cant get no joy with that i would get your phone bill (ask BT to send you out an early one if its not due for months) and see what it said for that number. Then contact AOL with the proof about it.

If you are really paranoid about these numbers then (possibly, ive never tried this) but phone BT and say this number is an illegal premium rate dialer and could you block this number from my phone line. I say this as i remember reading it on icstis site advising phone companies that this should be offered for standard practice against combating dialers.

3. Michael_aust

Michael_aust Registered Member

They claim to have never heard of this before when i have rang up or been in the live help. Yes they have if i have asked them numerous times and im sure im not the first.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.