AOL AVS three Free Antiviruses rolled into one?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by duke1959, Aug 27, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I was thinking if you combine the lightness of AVG Free, the detection rates of Antivir PE, and the fast and simple update feature of Avast. You may very well get Active Virus Shield. I have used all three of the mentioned Antiviruses and liked something about each one, but there was also something I didn't like too. For example. The poor detection scores always worried me while using AVG Free. The sometimes slow update ability and nag screen bothered me with Antivir PE. And as for Avast, which was my favorite, it just seemed to slow down my PC after being on the internet for awhile. As for AVS, besides the positive things already mentioned in the opening. I love the look and feature set of the interface, and although it takes a little bit of time to find your way around, it becomes quite simple to use. The memory usage is low (right at this moment it's running just under 9MB on this PC) It has many updates, and I like the back up feature it has for restoring anything deleted after a scan that may have been needed. I could go on, but I will end instead by saying that I feel I finally found the combination in a Free Antivirus that I was looking for.

2. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Did you decline the 'Toolbar' install?. Also, could you comment on any 'Spam' issues.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U can,t get the heuristics of Antivir in AVS.

4. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

That's true aigle, but KAV's better detection rates and superior updates more than make up for that.

5. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

But you will get the new heuristics engine of KAV when it is released at the end of this year. :)

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

May be u are right but everyone has his own way of thinking, so i mentioned it.

7. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Yes at the end of year though.

8. duke1959

tobacco. Yes I declined the toolbar, and so far no spam or even an E-mail sent to me from AOL about anything this week. aigle, I agree with you that heuristics would be good because Antivir did get a higher percentage in the May AV Comaparitives Proactive Tests than KAV, but as it was mentioned KAV has the better percentage when it comes to the other AV Comparitive Tests done in February. I also like the spyware detection it offers, while not the best is still better than nothing. Also don't forget how close Avast and AVG free were in the February Tests with Avast not having heuristics and AVG having them. Finally if I'm not mistaken KAV rated pretty well for not having many False Positives too. However, like I said, I liked all three of the Antiviruses I referred to, and I think it just boils down to what the individual likes, and wants in the one they choose. I do love to talk about this stuff though. Take care, and I'm looking forward to more responses.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U are right. Infact i see thing in another way. As far as signatures are concerned there are many AVs for a virus on the way to ur PC where it can be intercepted, like AV of ur ISP, AV of ur mail providers and of course AVs of ligitimate sites u visit. My main concern is new threats which might esily by-pass all these channels(assuming there was no good heuristic deytection across these channels), so UI will prefer a product which is good in heuristics though might not be as good in signatures( my main reason of persoanl liking of NOD over KAV). Though I have to accept that I can,t say definitely how this think counts in practical surfing. I wish there could be an AV which has the signatures of KAV and heuristics of NOD, BitDefender etc( and lightness of NOD as well).

10. kdm31091

kdm31091 Registered Member

But isn't AOL Active Virus Shield only free for one year?

Then what happens? Do we just uninstall, download, get new key, and install it again, or it will make us pay for something?

11. duke1959

I would hope it remains Free, especially when it does well again in the next AV Comparitives due out soon.

12. A1SteakSauce

A1SteakSauce Registered Member

just installed it... like it sofar. Works fine. Don't like the GUI but oh well.

13. duke1959

I like the GUI now that I have got the hang of it, but what I really like is the amount of daily updates this program has and how quick and unobtrusive they are. So far nothing from AOL. This is definitely my favorite Free Antivirus so far. I just hope it stays that way. Of course you never know what may be in the wings with Avast (although 5.0 sounds promising) and Antivir PE, as they remain free and improve on things.

14. duke1959

Come on, why isn't anyone jumping on this great new Free Antivirus? So far after 2 weeks of use no E-Mails from AOL. Multiple daily and "unobtrusive" updates. Uses KAV engine which did very well "without" heuristics in the last AV Comparitives. Has three choices of scans you can set for different areas of your PC. And finally (for now), it's very light on your PC with low RAM usage. So I'll ask a different question now. Why isn't anyone raving about this Free Antivirus?

15. lodore

lodore Registered Member

because of the three letters AOL.

16. TairikuOkami

TairikuOkami Registered Member

It is new, it has better detection than free and even paid AVs, so it looks suspisious.
    Eg, even my skilled russian friend is "afraid" to use Comodo firewall, because it is so good.
    About spam, I guess, that everyone should use spam free email or email designed to spam.

17. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

Speaking of that. Does anybody know how to skin this? It'd be cool to skin this with a KAV skin. And get rid of those dreaded three letters.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.