AOL AVS much better than AVG Anti-Malware

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by epv888, Mar 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. epv888

epv888 Registered Member

Hi guyz,

I was just wondering, would it be fair to say that AOL AVS is much better than Grisoft's commercial software - AVG Anti-malware?

I would like to know your thoughts about it.

Thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

id say so. the Kaspersky engine gives AOL AVS a good advantage over AVG Anti-malware.

I havent used either product though, so i dont know much of either program.

3. Sjoeii

Sjoeii Registered Member

I don't think it's better.
    AVG is far better in detecting real malware.

If you had sais KAV against AVG I would have said KAV because they are more detecting mal - and riskware.
    besides it had PDM which deteces even more malware

4. btman

btman Registered Member

Possibly, but you can't go wrong with either one though I'd assume AOL AVS is lighter on the system because the AVG Anti-Malware is AVG Anti-spyware and AVG.

5. waters

waters Registered Member

Yes by a long way

6. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Based on what?
    Mrk

7. dawgg

dawgg Registered Member

Good combination:... AOL AVS (realtime protection) + AVG-AS (for on-demand scans once a month encase anything bypasses AVS)

8. the insider

the insider Registered Member

By far AOL AVS : light on resources and good in detection (thx to Kaspersky):D

9. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

I am a Grisoft hater you know my answer.

10. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i ddidnt know you hated grisoft what they do to you?
    lodore

11. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

IMO KAV/AVS is still better at detecting older malware. Firefighter said that AVG Anti-Malware has KAV-like detection of newer malware, which I am increasingly finding to be true. I would, however, still say that KAV/AVS is better overall due to higher update frequency and faster addition of signatures to database. :)

12. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Currently using AOL AVS. I like its lightness and additional antispyware protection. However, I used AVG free for a long time, and my system was never compromised while using it. Statistics? Tests? Does it matter?

13. btman

btman Registered Member

I hate their anti-virus and never install it on friends machines.

But whats the problem with AVG Anti-Spyware 7.5?

I too was angry when Ewido got bought,but its still a good program.

14. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ewido was never up to standards as a stand-a-lone product, its perfect buisiness for ewido and avg that they have merged, very good buisiness deal.

to answer the thread,according to 'tests' its better... but not much.

15. MalwareDie

MalwareDie Registered Member

AVG couldn't protect me from my brother's rampage. I long tiem ago I had Norton. Then i got Antivir. Then a tech removed Antivir and installed AVG free. I am like what the hell did he do, this thing better be good it's so ugly, doesn't update very often, and has such a slow scanning speed. Then sometime in the 6 months it was on my computer it let something through. Of course I didn't know i was infected. I was itching to get back Antivir so I downloaded and it picked up something that was not a n fp. I removed AVG and swore to never use it again. And they took over Ewido. I thought liked Ewido then they took over and made it ugly. Also, it looked like less sigs were being added each day. Though I guess signature count isn't really that important.

16. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

I have lots of samples stored with me that multiple solutions do not detect. Should I ditch all these AVs for that purpose?

I do not mean to offend you, but a single such incident should not be made the sole reason to ditch or use an AV. Sometimes even the best of AVs may miss some malware. Maybe you should give AVG another chance, they have indeed improved....

17. lodore

lodore Registered Member

no antivirus can completely protect you from a highrisk surfer but i agree that avg free is a false sence of secuirty it will misss alot of malware and you think your clean because after the scan is complete it tells you that.
    for high risk surfers you need something like kaspersky or nodd32 as AV and superantispyware as on demand scanner to remove the crap.
    i have seen so many pc's with avg free and had been completely destroyed by spyware i mean the registry was so corropt you could only just open teh sttart menu and have no chance in hell of opening control panel.
    lodore

18. solcroft

solcroft Registered Member

I take it that you are aware that the AVG Free website explicitly states that the free version of AVG doesn't detect spyware?

19. lodore

lodore Registered Member

i ddidnt read that but i can show you a screenshot of drweb cure it results that detected some trojans as well.
    avg free detects trojans right?
    lodore

20. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Conclusion: are you a high risk surfer? then stay away from AVG free ed. ;)

21. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Conclusion: risky surfing has nothing to do with AV choice.
    Mrk

22. Macstorm

Macstorm Registered Member

Then let's start virii party on your pc :rolleyes:

23. cheater87

cheater87 Registered Member

I don't trust AOL.

24. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

but avs is kav appart from the optional toolbar (that a normal person shouldn't install)

25. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I have AVG AV and FW that's part of the Internet Security Suite, and simply use the sometimes feared System Safety Monitor. It's not as frightening as some may think, and although it is the free version, IMO it would add a good protective measure for any Internet Surfer safe or not. I no longer even use th AVG AS Component part of the Suite as a result of this. Also I'm personally still a little leery of the whole CHKDSK thing that involved KAV, and of course AOL AVS, and to be honest using Spyware Terminator with AVG AV might even be better than using AVS or AVG AM. However once again this is only my opinion so don't be mean to me. LOL.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.