AOL AVS does not install

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by ccsito, May 13, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

I wanted to try out the AOL AVS antivirus software on an old Windows 98 system that has not been updated since 2000. I downloaded the program and when I tried to install the MSI package, it comes up with a pop up that the program is not supported for this operating system. I upgraded the MSI program to version 2.0 which I think is the most recent for Windows 98. According to the AVS site, Windows 98 is supported, so why did I get this message? Anyone have a similar experience?

2. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I will be re-installing Win98SE for a family member, and AVS is what I was going to install. If nobody else posts, I will post back as soon as they drop off their PC. Hopefully someone posts before I get startedo_O

3. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

is it windows 98 or 98 second edition? i think AVs only supports the SE edition

4. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

Mine is a Windows 98 (first edition) system. I did read on the Kaspersky website that KAV requires at least a Windows 98SE system. There is no mention of that on the ActiveVirusShield.com website. Also, I have used many programs that specified at least the Windows 98SE Operating system on the machine with the (first edition) with no problems (such as Java, Flash, Zone Alarm, antispyware programs, etc.)

5. plantextract

plantextract Registered Member

well AVS is derived from kav 6 so you should expect that.
    the only way i can think of would be to edit the msi with orca to match installatino conditions on your systems... but i dont know how legal that would be and how well it will work.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.