AOL AVS and Blink Neighborhood Watch

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by duke1959, Mar 24, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Wouldn't this make an excellent combination for top level free protection? AVS has top rated KAV Antivirus, and Antispyware. While Blink has HIPS, Firewall, and many other protective features. Both have reputable names at this point, and in past personal experiences both ran well as individual programs on my PC, and had no uninstall problems. Blink did use a lot of memory, but never seemed to cause any slowdowns, and AVS was very light. So what does anyone think, about using AVS and Blink? Yeah, I know it rhymes. LOL

2. lucas1985

lucas1985 Retired Moderator

I never used Blink, so I can´t say anything about it. AOL AVS is a top-notch AV.

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

The way u are looking for every now and then for this and that combo reminds me of my first days at wilders, though you seems a lot more heree and theree.
    U need some leave off Wilders!

4. duke1959

You're right aigle, and I will try to stay way for awhile.

5. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Lol, I hope you are not serious. Neither was me.

6. duke1959

No, and as a matter of fact I just downloaded Blink Neighborhood watch. LOL.

7. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

Hello,
    I'll never use anything with AOL on it.
    Mrk

8. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Well I will write a few words.

U need at least a good real time AV. AOL AVS is free and good, don,t install toolbar. If u need more( on expense of some false positives or some other problems, not must to have though) use Antivir free. If u want install and forget, go for Avast. If paid, choose any good AV like NOD 32, KAV etc.
    FW- any good firewall will do the job, Router is must I think.

U don,t need AS if u do safe surfing and if u insist AVG AS and SAS free versions will be OK for on-demand.

If u still need more, get a sandbox like Sandboxie or GesWall free. Paid ones are DW, GW Pro and SandBoxie.

Want still more, u can add a classical HIPS like SSM and PS( both have free and paid versions).
    Still more.. OK u can add a Behavioral Blocker like CH or SanaSecurity Safe Connect( U don,t need it if u are usinf KAV as its PDMs have built in behaves).

Lastly u can also use ShadowSurfer etc if u like this concept.
    Your final line of defence is Instant Recovery software and/ or Imaging. I will suggest FDISR and SgadowProtect.

I will say taht no one can decide about your set up, u have to run different combo on ur box and have to decide urself what u like. There are so many combos and all of them mill keep u safe, I am sure. U just need to pick the one u like.

EDit: BTW, I am not sure about AOL issue, it all depends upon u to trust Kaspersky people as I know Don Pelotas has stated that it,s clean without toolbar.

9. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Hi to op and all. :)

A month ago I read in some thread on Wilders (now I can't find it) that eEye (Blink developer) is the company who apparently published the majority of XP vulnerabilities. Naturally, MS was not happy with that and made a big fuss about it. So the company who does this kind of stuff can't be all bad...

Cheers :)

10. duke1959

Blink Neighborhood Watch is nice. It ran well the last time I had it installed, and also uninstalled very easy which is important to me. AVS also ran well the last time too, and uninstalled with much less leftovers than AVG AV did. I wonder if AVS together with BNW doesn't come close to having the actual KAV because of the added features in BNW?

11. Seer

Seer Registered Member

Yes, Blink should be nice. It is all-in-one solution: firewall, HIPS and sandbox. For paid version anyway, not sure about the free though... What about resources? I heard it's somewhat hungy on RAM.

12. duke1959

Well if you consider that the AVG Antispyware Component in my AVG ISS ran at 50MB of memory all by itself when it was installed, then the 55-60MB that Blink Neighborhood Watch runs at isn't that high. It seemed to run light though the last time I had it installed with AVG AV, but I don't know how well it would run with AVS installed. Also if you add the 25MB that Comodo ran at on my PC to the 21MB that Cyberhawk ran at when I had them installed together, it still isn't that high. I swear Cyberhawk slowed down my PC too. I'm sticking with my AVG AV though believe it or not, and am going to try a squared Anti-Malware soon.

Last edited: Mar 25, 2007
  13. InfinityAz

InfinityAz Registered Member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.