AOL Active Virus Shield

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by fred128, May 19, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

Hi folks,
    Avira is discontinuing support for Windows 98 on June 30 so I installed the Active Virus Shield on my Windows 98 machine. I understand the license for this free program is only one year. Does anyone know what happens at the end of the year? Do you get a new license for the program or do you have to uninstall it and bring down another version?
    Incidentally, it's working quite well plus it has the advantage of anti-spyware built in.
    Thanks.

2. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

IIRC you can request up to 10 codes using the same email address. Each code is dormant until you activate it. There is no need to uninstall/reinstall the program to activate the new key. You can look under the Service option and a click on license info.

10 codes = 10 years :D

If you need more than 10 codes use a different email address. However I would only request extra codes if you need them in order to keep a good thing alive.

3. fred128

fred128 Registered Member

This is good to know. Thank you.

4. jonnypop

jonnypop Registered Member

Do you have to redownload the program from AOL when a new version comes out?

I use Kaspersky on my main PC, so if I read about an update on wilders I can easily go to the website and download.

How do you tell if you have the latest AOL active virus shield version? I have 3.08 running now.

thanks,
    John

5. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

Yes. :)

6. steve161

steve161 Registered Member

Hi Don:

I had one update where It was required to reboot. I assumed this was an upgrade to the program. I was a registered user at the time and my license period was short of a year.

7. Don Pelotas

Don Pelotas Registered Member

No, this is only updates to network drivers, bugfixes etc. Program updates eg 6.0.0 to 6.0.1 are manual downloads. :)

8. EliteKiller

Yes, the same goes for the full version of Kaspersky as well.

That's been the latest version for 6+ months. Supposedly AOL is going to release an updated version to work with Vista in May, but as of now it hasn't surfaced. According to Secunia anything below .614 has security issues, so I am assuming that this affects AOL AVS as well.

http://secunia.com/product/10470/?task=advisories

9. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Can i burn AVS to a cd with code?The reason i'm asking this is because i'm running Kis6.I wanted to do this for my sister who is on dialup.Is this recommended?

10. EliteKiller

Absolutely.

11. rookieman

rookieman Registered Member

Thanks,Would i have to shut off my suite to do this?Perhaps you might know of a link on how to properly do this?:D

12. EliteKiller

You shouldn't have to disable anything. Download the avs.exe then copy/paste the key that was emailed you into notepad. Use your cd burning app to copy the two files to a disk, or copy them to a flash memory drive.

13. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

The activation keys for AOL AVS are date-related, so you need to get another, say, a few weeks before yours expires. Also, unistall it and use a good registry cleaner to wipe the registry keys which could cause an expiration of the software even with a new key.

Dave

14. EliteKiller

No offense, but your post contains a lot of misinformation. I've installed AOL AVS on at least 100 computers since Aug. 06, and the keys are not activated until you manually active them in AVS. There is absolutely no reason to uninstall/reinstall unless there is a version upgrade IMO. So far it has been 6.0.0.308 for 6+ months.

15. dw2108

dw2108 Registered Member

Hey, man, thanks for proving me wrong! It's like saying, "I've got bad news. You ARE the father of your wife's baby!"

Dave

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.