AOL Active Security Monitor--phone home ?

Discussion in 'other security issues & news' started by Perman, Jul 14, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: I tried out this app few days ago. It has received 5 stars CNET Editor's Rating. It appears that it does the way it should. However, one major concern is that this app WANTS to make an outbound internet connection once a while, and running in the backgound all times. It is a freeware all right, but why it needs to contact outsideworld? Just wonder. Can someone concur my findings?

2. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,It phones home for updates for the software and also to update the list of known updates to software that should be done on your system. Aside from that I haven't seen any problems with it.Regards,fluxgfx.com

3. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, folks: It makes sense to contact ouside world for updates, but my doubts remain: It has been allowed ONCE soon after app is installed, it then again few minutes later wants to make another contact, it seems to me it demands a fulltime permission to update all the time and anytime? just wonder.

4. FluxGFX

FluxGFX Registered Member

Hi,Sounds normal to me. The connection is always made to the update server about 6 or 8 times in the span of 2hours and it advises me when something changed. Such has there was an update release for my AV NOD32 and before even NOD checked for updates it told me that nod needed to be updated afterward like 6 or 7mins later told me that there was another update for NOD32. So it seems to be that it requires constant connection so that it can determine if software needs to be updated.Regards,fluxgfx.com

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.