Anything you post can and will be used against you

Discussion in 'privacy general' started by Minimalist, Mar 12, 2017.

1. hawki

hawki Registered Member

This Facezam App was a hoax.

http://facezam.com/

http://www.theverge.com/2017/3/15/14937982/facezam-facial-recognition-facebook-photos-privacy

I apologize for posting. (I read it on the internet - The Telegraph UK - It must be true.)

The original URL in my post now links to the story that Facezam was a hoax. The linked story at the very bottom, now includes the following language:

"This story was updated after it was revealed to be a hoax."

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolo...ecognition-app-users-find-strangers-facebook/)

Last edited: Mar 15, 2017
  2. Tarnak

Tarnak Registered Member

I have one, but I never use it. I just reserved a plot. ;)

3. Jerry666

Jerry666 Registered Member

Same here , social mediaagree it is the ultimate spyware ~Phrase removed.~

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 22, 2017
  4. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Using Facebook is basically a big f-you to your online privacy because Facebook sells all of your data to third-party advertisers and government agencies. Then again, the same reality applies to the Internet in general, so the only real way to remain relatively off-the-grid and anonymous is by using the Internet as little as possible, and being very wise with what you say online. Like others have mentioned, Internet anonymity is largely a myth because if Big Brother wants to find out who you are, he will regardless of how much effort you expend to remain anonymous.

Contrary to popular belief, just because someone might not be able to see your face or hear your voice on a forum where you wish to remain anonymous, doesn't mean you are really anonymous. Even if you are using Tor (with maximum security settings) and never post any identifying personal info about yourself, doesn't mean someone can't find you. In fact, even if you used the best techniques possible to remain anonymous online, some with enough resources and the right tools can find your real identity online.

5. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

It's best to seem as normal as possible to local meatspace observers. So sure, have a Facebook page, for family and friends. But don't write very much, and mostly just share links and stuff. That way, your writing style won't be so easily searchable. And of course, don't do anything that associates pseudonymous personas with meatspace. You need an uplink, of course. But many people use VPNs now, and with nested VPNs, you can disassociate your connection to Tor. Nothing's foolproof, but you do what you can.

6. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

You are right...at best, you can only be pseudonymous online...at best, you can only be partially anonymous, but there is nowhere near full anonymity online.

7. mirimir

mirimir Registered Member

There's no true anonymity anywhere. But you can get a lot closer online than in meatspace. It's rather like Heisenberg's uncertainty relation. Anonymity is inversely proportional to lifetime. Create a communication channel. Use it once. Be cryptic. Burn it down. Get pretty good anonymity.

8. Daveski17

Daveski17 Registered Member

I very rarely believe anything in the UK papers. I don't believe anything the Telegraph or Daily Mail 'reports' at all. So, no need to apologise. British newspapers are infamous for alternative truth, and have been for decades lol. ;)

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.