anything out for vista thats simply app based??

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by zfactor, Oct 8, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

im looking for alternatives to the wife's problem she's having with another suite im thinking maybe separate av/firewall could help.. but she is very limited as to knowledge of firewalls. and it gets kinda annoying with her calling me all the time during the day saying can i allow this ?? or deny this ... etc.. i can set up most of it for her but there will always be new stuff popping up on occasion.. im looking for something more simple for her she was using outpost and really liked it with its simple app based allow / deny section.. but she is running vista? is anything out there that is more simplistic?? thanks

2. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

ZoneAlarm free or the Vista Firewall perhaps?

3. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

vista firewall imo is horrid.. ill look at the new zone alarm i know i hated the old one it was terrible about sucking up resources..

4. Diver

Diver Registered Member

Norton 360 is about as foolproof as it can get. Very low user interaction.

5. drkoopz

drkoopz Registered Member

McAfee VirusScan Plus free through AOL is a great suite for newbies. It comes with a fancy firewall that has a nice GUI that only asks if it doesn't recognize the program.(It uses a large whitelist database) Top it off the interface is simple and if something is wrong, a giant 'fix' button is there to assess the situation.

Although if she's having a problem with the suites, Zone Alarm and Avast would be a decent combination. Though I think seperate programs would be more confusing that helpful.

Norton 360 is an excellent paid solution for ease of use.

6. larryb52

larryb52 Registered Member

if I'm not mistaken za firewall & avast are not compatable? of course like my wife keep reminding me I could be wrong...

7. Diver

Diver Registered Member

On Vista Zone Alarm gives you a choice between the suite (Kaspersky AV), and the free ZA. I tried both and was disappointed by system slowdowns and startup/shutdown delays.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.