Anything new about Windows Defender?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by acr1965, Jun 3, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I saw that Windows Defender has a new scanning engine. The latest release is dated May 23, 2007. Has anyone used this new version? Also, is this new engine an in-house product of MS or an OEM of some other brand? Is this new version any better than the old version at detection and removal of malware?

Also, I have heard that the Windows Defender that comes with Vista will remove other programs if it feels appropriate to do so, even other security programs you may want to keep. And the info for WD for XP states-

"Quickly and easily finds spyware and other unwanted programs..."

Has anyone had the WD for XP remove a program you wanted to keep?

Finally, can WD be ran on demand?

Thanks

http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/spyware/software/about/overview.mspx

2. chew

chew Registered Member

I am planning to unstall it if it does that to me i.e. remove my other programme in XP.

:mad:

P/s: I think I will soon stick to my on-demand scan instead.

3. HAN

HAN Registered Member

To my knowledge, the only thing that has changed in Defender is the installer. I know that the XP version before and after the May date change was/is 1593. (I believe Vista's version is 1505o_O)

As to uninstalling programs without user intervention, I have never heard of that, Vista or XP. Have you ran across any examples?

I have not tinkered with the Vista version but Defender for XP runs 2 processes. One is a service (the "engine") and the other is the gui. The service is normally ran from boot but like any other service, you can make it a manual start. And also do the same basic thing with the gui. But doing so is a pain in the neck.

With this in mind, IMO, Defender's strength is in it's real-time scanner, NOT the on demand scanner. Defender does watch (and alert) for changes to Windows in key areas. But it's ability to actually stop and then remove said malware is not rated very high by anyone.

I know in my case, I would never use Defender only as a manual, on demand scanner. If I were going to do that, I'd use SUPERAntiSpyware. In that situation, it is (IMO) a superior product...

4. CJsDad

CJsDad Registered Member

Windows Defender in Vista-

As for WD removing programs in Vista, never heard of that, but you can remove or disable programs yourself through WD located under the Software Explorer section.

Anyway I don't use WD so I have it turned off completely.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.