Anyone using ZoneAlarm Antispyware V 6.5 700 ?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Perman, Jun 5, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi,all. I like to try out this product. At present time I have Outpost Firewall 3.5 ,KAV 6, and Ewido 4. I notice that ZA antispyware including firewall.Would this feature be in conflict with outpost? Are there any known conflict issues you can share? Thanks.:)

Last edited: Jun 5, 2006
  2. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

Zone Alarm AV's are nothing compared to the engine in KAV or NOD32, and yes, more than likely, ZA will definately conflict with Outpost being installed.
    Never a good idea to run two firewalls at once.
    I use ZA pro, and will stick with it, but if you want to try ZA, remove Outpost first, and disable Windoze FW, which will might restart, after removing Oupost.
    I also run Ewido BETA 4, and there are no conflicts with ZA on my machine.

3. toasale

toasale Registered Member

:) The firewall is fine; the AS is possibly on a par with the freeware Lavasoft & Spybot.

4. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Hi, as I remember ZA antispyware is combilnation of a poor AS scanner and a good OS firewall. There is no real firewall component in it. So should be no conflict.
    BTW u can try it. OS firwall component of it is really good but more better will be ONline Armor in this regard and OA plus a traditional real time AS will be a much better option for me.

5. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

No, there is a firewall, Antispyware is just missing the "privacy" option. Well, the last I checked, which was at 6.1.

I'm running the suite at 6.5, and I never used privacy in the first place except the "clean cache" option.

6. aigle

aigle Registered Member

U might be right. I used the trial months back but I don,t remebr exactly now.
    BTW they need to change their AS9(very poor scanner- i wonder from where thay took this crap) and also the AV in their suite.

7. MojoWorkin

MojoWorkin Registered Member

I believe, the ZA antivrus/spyware uses the CA Associates engine:
    (At least the 5.x version did)
    It's listed among an older CA Assoc. AV engine vulnerability notice (near bottom of page)
    http://www3.ca.com/securityadvisor/vulninfo/vuln.aspx?id=32896
    And Here:
    "Anti-virus protection comes courtesy of Computer Associates' award-winning Etrust engine."
    http://www.pcw.co.uk/personal-computer-world/software/2043702/zone-labs-zonealarm-security
    Not sure about the newer 6.x version.

EDIT***
    Yup, 6.x does as well...
    "ZoneAlarm Antivirus 6.0 ($29.95) – adds the award-winning VET Computer-Associates Anti-virus engine to the basic ZoneAlarm..."
    http://www.practicalpc.co.uk/reviews/soft/utilities/zonealarm6.htm
    PC World's review: (LOL)
    http://pcworld.about.com/magazine/2209p060id117072.htm

"Zone Labs' ZoneAlarm Security Suite combines the latest version of the company's firewall with . . . Computer Associates' ETrust EZ Antivirus."

"During installation, the suite . . . searches only for products from Computer Associates, McAfee, Symantec, and Trend Micro, overlooking products from dozens of other vendors and risking conflicts as a result."

". . . used the suite to scan a disc containing 200 spyware samples, it detected just 36, a shockingly low 18 percent of them."

I'm not bashing here... others have alreay done this, but one should know before they trust their data to such an expensive (non) solution.
    I run ZA Pro, but never use the AV scanner. I only use the F/W.

Last edited: Jun 7, 2006
  8. RAV

RAV Registered Member

I am running ZA Antispyware and it does include the firewall (almost the pro version minus the privacy feature) and is a pretty good deal since I don't use those features. For Antispyware, it has a ZA inhouse scanning engine which is decent, but it also includes the OS firewall. I run this along side NOD32 and it is a nice setup IMO. Also, try the trial and you should get a discount from the trial.

9. aigle

aigle Registered Member

It is below average even. I will rather call it a cookie scamnner only.

10. RAV

RAV Registered Member

Well, I wouldn't buy ZA Antispyware specifically for the AS scanning engine, but rather for a leaner version of ZA Pro. For $20, it is a nice product. I was running Sunbelt Kerio, but too many blue screens for me, so that was $20 wasted.

11. aigle

aigle Registered Member

I agree with u.

12. sosaiso

sosaiso Registered Member

I've never actually used the AS scanner, so I can't say how good or bad it is. The OS firewall is enough for me to block most spyware attempts.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.