Anyone using Thunderbird?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by JRCATES, Jun 29, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

I am sure somebody can (hopefully) answer this and that it is really quite simple and all.

I have IE6 as my default browser, although I use Firefox frequently (am now). I also have Outlook Express as my default email client, but am wanting to install Thunderbird as well. So my question is really aimed at anyone who has a similar type set-up, or has had one similar to this recently.

I would likely use a Gmail account which I recently created for the Thunderbird email client....but in order to have a direct link to "Mail" in the Firefox browser (like is currently available through IE), does Firefox and Thunderbird HAVE TO be set as the "default" programs? In other words, can I leave IE and Outlook Express currently as default, and still have Thunderbird email accessed through the Firefox browser....or do Firefox and Thunderbird have to be set as the "default" browser and email client?

Sorry if this sounds stupid to some, but I've only used web-based emails (Yahoo, hotmail, etc.) in conjuction with Outlook Express in the past, with Outlook Express as my primary POP server type account through my ISP.

2. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

To use the shortcut to mail in firefox Gui thunderbird would have to be default. I tried a few configurations and that is the only way I could get it to work. But you can use the app at the link to launch FF from the task bar here

3. JRCATES

JRCATES Registered Member

Thanks, bigc. I have been asking around, and found that by going to Tools>Read mail through FF, it will bring up the "default" email client (in my case, Outlook Express). It also seems that there is some extension type application called "Launchy" that MAY (stress MAY) allow Firefox users to access Thunderbird THROUGH the Firefox browser. I'm not exactly sure as to what I'm reading, but perhaps somebody can decipher what Launchy is all about....how it works, what it does, etc.?

Last edited: Jun 30, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.