Anyone using Rollback RX along with Acronis True Image

Discussion in 'backup, imaging & disk mgmt' started by Boost, May 25, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Boost

Boost Registered Member

2. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi Boost,

Yes Acronis TI 10 & Rollback Rx ver. 9 seem to be getting along nicely. I'm thinking about dumping Acronis.

Rico

3. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I don't think thats wise since they do not do the same job. One is an imaging program for the times your hardware dies and the other is a rollback program for dealing with software issues. RX will not allow you to store the snaps to external media and so if the drive dies, or there is a fire etc, everything is gone. Imaging programs make it possible to deal with these sorts of problems.

4. Boost

Boost Registered Member

I've finally decided to just use Rollback RX :thumb:

I figure if the hard-drive eventually dies,I just either buy another hard-drive and start over installing the operating system,etc.

Not a big deal,since I only keep pictures saved online anyways,after I download them from my digital camera. :cool:

5. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Bgoodman4 - Yes I see your point, regarding backing up to external media. I thought the new Rollback allowed this, as well as instant restore. Maybe I dreamed that?

Take Care
    Rico

After thought dump Acronis, use free Paragon Drive backup, the only thing los is the ability to make increments, plus ditching 3 - 4 processes, from Acronis.

6. silver0066

silver0066 Registered Member

7. bgoodman4

In the previous release there was an imager with which you could back up to external media but I am pretty sure RX itself does not allow this, in the current release (I have the older one) this feature has been stripped out and is available as a 2nd program called Drive Cloner. I think you can get it at a substantial discount if you buy RX but am not certain about this (it costs $19.95 at full price so its not bad regardless). One advantage of the RX related imager is that it will understand (so to speak) RXs images and thus there is no issue with the MBR if a restore is nec. According to Horizon if you image with other software with RX installed you will need to fix the MBR after you do a restore. I am not certain about the following but I think the RX related imager does not have an auto image feature which could be an issue. Mind you the recommended way to use 3rd party imagers is to uninstall RX first, do your backup, then reinstall RX. This mean the process has to be manual anyway. Of course if you want auto imaging you can use a program like True Image to make the images automatically and then if you have to do a restore its (from I understand) easy to fix the MBR (this has been discussed previously in other threads so a search should provide more details). Ideally this would be done using an OS install disk but there are a few MBR backup programs available. I have not used it but one of these is available at http://mbrwizard.com/

I hope this helps.

8. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Hi,

It seems TI & Rx may conflict, after installing RX on this machine where TI 10 was already installed, I started getting frequent "Improper Shutdown" errors & chkdsk being invoked. Trying to delete TI-10 brcame a problem following the prescribed uninstall of TI "add/remove" then manual TI uninstall, caused problems.

Hmmm! I should ave read the above post, as I just installed Paragon Drive Backup, looks like I'm in store for problems, If I don't follow "bgoodman's" advise.

Is it possible to store Rx's snapshots to ext hdd?
    How would you fix the mbr, if RX is installed & another imager was used for restore? Nevermind just saw the above link

Rico

9. Rico

Rico Registered Member

Let me see if I understand this:

TI or Paragon Drive Backup - reside on the same machine with RollbackRx

1. Put mbr wizard in the root directory "c:\" <prior to problem(s)>

2. Restore with TI or PDB > The machine is unbootable > use BartPE to boot, run mbr wizard's fix or restore (providing previous save of mbr)

3. All is well?

Rico

****so if I restore with Paragon or TI, only Rollback RX gets broken & needs to be fixed**** is this correct?

Last edited: May 30, 2009
  10. bgoodman4

I am by no means an expert here, just relaying what I was told when I was considering using RX. That being said here is what I suggest you try.

If you have RX snapshots from before you tried to uninstall TI rollback to one of them. Then, uninstall RX, next, uninstall TI (this should now not be a problem I would think), then reinstall RX. Alternately if you have a TI image from before you installed RX uninstall RX and then reinstall TI (if its not working because you tried to uninstall it) and restore to that image. Your PC will hopefully be back to normal and you can now uninstall TI before reinstalling RX.

FYI, as I understand it if you restore and image that was made with TI after you installed RX you need to fix the MBR when you restore the image and this can be done using a Windows install disk. Again, this was discussed elsewhere as to how you would do this so a search of the archives may help,,,or you could try a google for "fix master boot record".

I hope this helps.

PS: I just re-read your last post and I am not sure what you are saying in it but as I understand it you fix (or restore if you saved a copy of the pre-RX MBR) after you restore with TI, not before.

11. bgoodman4

I do not think so.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.