Anyone using F-Secure 2006?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by pojispear, Mar 28, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

i'd like to hear your thoughts. Apps and Windows Explorer seem to open a little slower. Some directories with many files open a lot slower than previous set-up of KAV 5, Kerio 4.2, and that's my only problem w/ it.

using mostly high settings, but real time scan set to recommended file types (not all files), and to scan all zip and compressed in real-time and on-demand (this may be the slow down), and spam control disabled

XP updated, AMD barton at 2.4, 1GB RAM

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  2. gerardwil

gerardwil Registered Member

I tried yesterday but during install it said I had to remove SpySweeper and Adaware before continue. So that was for me the beginning and the end of F-secure (AV).

Gerard

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I run F-Secure Internet Security 2006 and don't notice any slow down at all. i am truly impressed with this product. I am running an AMD Semprom 3200+, 1250 mbs ram. It scans very fast and I don't notice any slowdown when doing a full on demand scan and still browsing the web. I have done a bit of research on the security you can expecy with F-Secure and I have come to the conclusion that is is going to be hard to beat. The latest av-comparative av test's show that f-secure is as good as any and better than most. The only down side I see to F-Secure is that it is fairly expensive. But how much is the security of your computer worth to you. To me F-Secure Internet Security 2006 is worth every penny that the charge for it.

bigc

Attached Files:

4. ronjor

ronjor Global Moderator

A writeup on F-Secure 2006 here.

5. <DreamCatcher>

<DreamCatcher> Registered Member

6. tansu

tansu Registered Member

Here , you can find 6 months trial version for F-Secure 2006. And here is the extra settings with pictures. Page is Turkish but pictures speaks itself.
    Regards

7. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

I'm fortunate that my ISP provides F-secure Suite for free and have used it for 2 years now.And it's good.The only thing i've noticed is a little longer bootup.Updates are seemless and frequent.As far as uninstalling other programs, i did and just re-installed after F-secure was installed with no problems.It also has System Control and blocks startup and registry changes until i give the go-ahead.The only programs where issues have developed (system freeze) was when installing Prevx1 and Cyberhawk.Must have had something to do with guarding the registry.And bigc, i thought you were just doing a short test on F-secure?.

8. bigc73542

When I find something I like i admit it, and I really like F-Secure and plan to keep it from now on. It ran better on my old comp than anything else I tried. And on this much more powerful new comp I don't even notice it being installed except as you mentioned, a little longer boot time which is no problem and the great protection it affords.

bigc

9. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

10. Graystoke

Graystoke Registered Member

I installed the 6 months free version of F-Secure AV 2006 offered by Microsoft. No problems installing. Configuring was easy. Nice interface. Then I ran into a problem. I set up F-Secure to run a scheduled scan at 4:00 PM today. 4:00 PM came and gone, and as far as I could tell, the scan never started. So I tried again. Set up a time for it to start, and again no scan. Nothing showing in the taskbar icon, nothing in the GUI. Maybe bigc or tobacco can give me a clue as to what is going on.

11. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Bigc, how would you rate the firewall portion of the suite?

12. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Graystoke

Sorry guy, but i have never scheduled a scan on any program i use.So can't help you there.Manually scan twice per month and scan my various collection of spyware scanners once a week as that is the only malware i'm not expecting F-secure to get everything of.I also run Ewido once a week and just picks up a few tracking cookies.I will schedule one and let you know.

13. Graystoke

Thanks tobacco. Looking forward to see how it works for you.

14. Krond

Krond Registered Member

The version, that MS offered, was AFAIK F-Secure 2005......?

15. pojispear

pojispear Registered Member

thanks all for the info! i'm happy with it and think i'll purchase. it really is $39 now for 2006

one interesting thing that happened is it found some hidden files in the rootkit scan, but it was Magic Folders, so i sent an email to MF to ask which were theirs and they said all were from Magic Folders.

"Those files are all ours and shouldn't be renamed. A user would not be
    able to get to them thru Windows as we keep them in a hidden folder
    c:\--------- [edit] "

good job FS2006

Last edited: Mar 29, 2006
  16. Graystoke

It's the 2006 version.

17. maddawgz

maddawgz Registered Member

I tried it bogged me down!! using 380mb ram 80gig

18. tobacco

tobacco Frequent Poster

Graystoke

I had been using the 2005 version until this morning and last evening scheduled a few scans without success.I downloaded the 2006 version from my ISP and scheduled a scan that apparently worked.I say apparently because at the exact time, my hardrive began running for a good hour straight and opening the F-secure panel was slow.But i couldn't bring up any type of box showing the scan in progress.It seems the scheduled scanning is set to do everything automatically with out notifiying the user.Maybe bigc could add his thoughts to this but i would say it works in version 2006 but there are problems with 2005 scheduling scans.Look what it says at the bottom.

Attached Files:

• f1.png
      f1.png
      File size:
      32.1 KB
      Views:
  19. Graystoke

Thanks tobacco for taking the time, and going to the trouble of installing another AV to check things out. Much appreciated. I guess that's just the way F-Secure does scheduled scans.

20. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Nice heads up. BTW, am I crazy, or is that Napoleon Dynamite as your avatar?! :D

21. Sputnik

Sputnik Registered Member

F-Secure gives a 50% discounts on all of their home products. That makes the products quite attractive to buy.

F-Secure Anti-Virus 2006: EUR 26.50, USD 32.00
    F-Secure Internet Security 2006: EUR 32.50, USD 39.00

22. rx2pc

rx2pc Registered Member

Does F-Secure still use Backweb for their updates?

23. kalpik

kalpik Registered Member

Tried it.. Didnt like it.. Very slow.. I could feel it even with 1 gig of ram! Just my opinions!

24. bigc73542

It does use back web. but it is not a problem it works great.

25. The Hammer

The Hammer Registered Member

How well does the anti-spam component work?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.