Anyone using CrunchBang #! ?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by atomomega, Mar 22, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Hi all,
    I barely started getting into Linux about 2 months or so and honestly I've been a distro-hopper looking for a distro that best suits me. And I think I've found it in CrunchBang. I've been using it since saturday and so far so good. I really like it's simplicity and lightness, tho I read somewhere that it's aimed to medium-rank Linux users.

So basically I'm just curious as to who is currently using it, and if anyone could share experiences or tips and tweaks, I'd really appreciate it. :thumb:

Thank you for your input beforehand.

2. malexous

malexous Registered Member

I started getting into Linux about a month ago. I am not willing to try as many distributions as I would like because of a 15GB data allowance. I have used Ubuntu 10.10, Linux Mint 10, PCLinuxOS Phoenix Xfce Edition and CrunchBang Linux 10 "statler". At the moment, I am settling on CrunchBang Linux.

CrunchBang Linux has not been as straightforward as Linux Mint for me, though. For example, I had to map my volume keys manually.

3. NormanF

NormanF Registered Member

A minimalist distro is not for newbies.

Like Mrk said about Bodhi Linux, if you like to build a customized Linux operating system, it can be good if you know what you're looking for and what you need to set it up.

When you have some experience, it can be fun experimenting with a lightweight system.

4. atomomega

atomomega Registered Member

Great! Nice to see someone else on the same boat! :D Are you running Openbox or XFCE?
    I haven't had any issues with it, not even the ones I had with the top-ranked distros. The forum community is very kind and helpful all the time. They are always eager to answer any questions one may have, so I'm very pleased with the support. ;)

5. Beavenburt

Beavenburt Registered Member

Not using it but one would assume it's a good distro in the fact it's based on debian stable. That thing will run forever without breaking. NormanF is incorrect, crunchbang is a full distro with all the basic apps for average desktop use, including flash, codecs etc. It's not lightweight at all, it's just the fact it has openbox as it's window manager people assume it's lightweight. I would say it's a good choice.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.