anyone using bit defender free edition

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by alan_98, Mar 12, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. alan_98

alan_98 Registered Member

is this a good anti virus ?

2. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

I have been using Bitdefender Free on my primary work laptop and am VERY happy with it. It scans VERY quickly, it can scan inside zip files better than some other AVs, and the signatures are updated frequently (lately two or three times a day - although many AVs seem to be releasing updates furiously these days).

Keep in mind that Bitdefender free only operates as an on-demand ant-virus. An on-access AV scanner is also necessary.

I'm also using F-Prot DOS as an on-demand AV at home - I think very highly of it too but there is a significant trade-off in terms of convenience (F-Prot DOS updates manually and won't work well on NTFS).

Regards,
    Optigrab

3. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I use bitdefender free 7.2 and it seems to do a good job, and it updates almost every day. It makes a very good back up scanner.

4. notageek

notageek Registered Member

I agree with BigC. It's a good back up scanner. I'm using it as a back up to McAfee 7.

5. rdsu

rdsu Registered Member

Did you prefer to have BitDefender for antivirus backup that F-Prot?

The updates of BitDefender is smaller like NOD32?

Thanks

6. optigrab

optigrab Registered Member

F-Prot DOS has actually caught malware on my home machine, so I'm not ready to give it up in favor of Bitdefender at home. But using F-Prot is generally less convenient to use, so I'd recommend Bitdefender to anyone who wouldn't be interested in putting in the effort, particularly those working on NTFS formatted drives. I do note that scanning from DOS can be a significant advantage when an infection is present - so I will always keep F-Prot around on floppy.

I've never noticed or minded any difference in the size of the updates between F-Prot and Bitdfefender.

7. Ben Apgar

Ben Apgar Guest

I just installed Bit Defender Free on my computer. No sooner than that, Zone Alarm caught a program called bdnews.exe trying to connect to the internet. It is called "Bit Defender News Application". It tries to connect even when Bit Defender is not running.

Seems like malware to me.

8. Ben Apgar

Ben Apgar Guest

Sorry, the name of the program is bdnagent.exe

I'm just paranoid about anything that connects to the internet without me asking it to. I've turned off all the auto-update stuff in Bit Defender, but it is still running.

9. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

You just need to set the firewall to block the bd news. I set it to block it, It can't connect anymore and shouldn't be any trouble from then on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.