Anyone using Arovax Shield?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by richrf, Aug 22, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. richrf

richrf Registered Member

They just announced a new version (last message in thread). Seems interesting. Anti-executable+browser+registry protection in this HIPS product. Doesn't mention anything about process or rootkit protection. Anyone try it out?

http://www.broadbandreports.com/forum/remark,14144526

Rich

2. Hi Richrf, I have used this little program for a month and it seems good.
    I run my browser with this one and sandboxie, very good here.

3. Vikorr

Vikorr Registered Member

Seems like an intelligent RegDefend (maybe -without the customisability of course) ? as it's blurb seems to indicate it works by monitoring registry changes. Not a bad idea.

Fairly sure Mike (Online Armour) is trying to implement something similar (ie easy to use Reg Protection) in OA (when 1.2 comes out).

4. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Appears to be a combination of ProcessGuard and RegDefend. But I have noticed that comparing features is one thing - comparing engineering implementation is another. PG and RD have solid engineering - wondering if this product has the same?

Cya,
    Rich

5. Clearly you guys have not tried it. It's basically a winpatrol. Comparing it to PG/RD is not even funny.

6. Moore

Moore Registered Member

From my tests , Arovax is a lot quicker to detect malware than Winpatrol..

It's reaction time to this trojan in my pic below was about the same as Outpost 3.0 Antispyware, which was immediate.. Regrun and Winpatrol followed up soon after .. with Processguard and SSM off of course.

http://www.bluetack.co.uk/H4X0RZ/hijacks/images/arovax_detection.jpg

The difference in reported information varies alot between each program , but I'm happy with how Arovax has performed so far.

If you use System Saftey Monitor and/or Processguard , other programs are probably not going to do much though besides chew on your cpu .. :D

7. chaos16

chaos16 Registered Member

in the site spywarewarrior is says that its not recomended to use arovax shield.

8. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Never heard of it, but give it a try, it's freeware and I need another anti-keylogger, the other one expired.
    If somebody is interested, the official homepage is :
    Arovax Shield v1.1.128
    http://www.arovaxshield.com/

Last edited: Aug 23, 2005
  9. richrf

richrf Registered Member

Hi all,

Thanks for the info so far.

Rich

10. Tassie_Devils

Tassie_Devils Global Moderator

I have tried it for a couple of hours now, and it seems very similar to SpywareGuard but with couple of extra goodies. :)

I did a test [after closing SpywareGuard and AdWatch] by trying to change IE homepage, but OnlineArmor was the first line of defence to respond. :)

It's sooo simple to install, run, etc, that even the most computer newbie would have no troulbe comprehending.

Looks pretty good so far, I shall keep it running for while and do some further browsing of... ahem.. dubious sites, see which alerts me.

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

11. Tassie_Devils

ahhh, here's an interesting development.

As I stated in above post, I had closed SG first, but when I restarted it, I got this message alert popup.

Being unsure, and not even running IE at the time, I Blocked it [did not check don't ask again though] and SG seemed fine.

Could not get any more info than what you see in attached pic.

So I closed SG again, reopened it and sure enough, alert again. I OK'd it this time, but it come up a second time, which I also OK'd. So I repeated it 3 more times, close SG, reopen and get 2 alerts from Arovax Shield each time.

Now, I am presuming, and it's only a guess here [but a pretty educated one ;) ] that the alert is referring to SG, on starting, checks IE's homepage to see if anything has changed and it's simply called "test".

Anyone running Arovax Shield and has SpywareGuard also installed, could they close SG and restart it, see if you can duplicate this message. :doubt:

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

12. Tassie_Devils

I am just full of info tonight... lol...

Upon starting AdWatch PRO again, Arovax Shield did NOT alert, but good old AdWatch alerted me of Arovax Shield, lol. :eek:

Cheers, TAS

Attached Files:

13. Tassie_Devils

hmmm.... never saw this post, sorry... any idea why? I am looking at the moment on SpywareWarior for the entry. :doubt:

TAS

14. Tassie_Devils

hmmmm, seems a bit vague.... it's not actually listed in the ROGUE lists, but simply states that the section it's in, the products were 'tested and deemed not appropriate'. :doubt:

It seems to do what's advocated, but I shall wait until further replies by any one else.

TAS

Attached Files:

15. Notok

Notok Registered Member

That just states that it's not a rogue anti-spyware program. So while they don't endorse it, it's not a problem to use. That's basically the "safe but not recommended above SpySweeper/Spybot/Ad-Aware/etc" list. Note the message at the bottom of the screenshot.

16. Tassie_Devils

lol, Also, I've just seen ONLINE ARMOR listed in same list. [bottom of first column].

Now, I know that there are PLENTY of happy users of that, myself included, so what's the goo_O?

I think maybe it would be a matter of personal choice, unless someone can convincingly purport otherwise. :doubt: :doubt: :doubt: :doubt:

TAS

17. Tassie_Devils

Yes NOTOK :)

I did see that of course, and my new reply above indicates it's personal choice, so of course the people can make up their own minds.

TAS

PS: Have you tried it?

18. Notok

Notok Registered Member

(hehe, looks like we were posting at the same time)
    Nope :/ I've got so many other betas and stuff on my machine right now that I'm not even thinking about adding anything else atm. After some betas are over, though, I might give Arovax a go, just to see. Just didn't want people getting the wrong idea about the 'not on the list' apps.. I do use/have used a few of the others :)

19. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

I'm giving it a try, hopefully it won't incenerate my comp. ;)

20. bigc73542

I just went through control panel to internet options and checked to see if autocomplete was enabled and Arovax was the only app to alert me that there was a change made. None of the other apps I have that are supposed to lock IE internet option changes didn't make a peep. Maybe Arovax will be a good addition to my security arsenal. But only time will tell.

21. Tassie_Devils

Well, that's a good start bigc :D

Maybe it's a "keeper" for me also, I've been to some sites over past couple hours, but so far OnlineAmor has been the first indicator.

Still, I may turn off OA and test, but :doubt: :doubt: I am so happy with OA am reluctant to do that, lol.

Catch 22 hey, turn off one security app to see if another will work, and if it fails, then I am in deep :eek: :eek:

TAS

22. bigc73542

That is about the only problem with the layered approach, Which if any app are really working :D :D ;)

I like the way Arovax logs everything, although it could be a little more explanitory.

23. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

I surfed more than usual today and Arovax protected me against TWO high-risk tracking cookies. :D
    So it does at least something.

24. Tassie_Devils

I like the logging bigc, and yes, 'maybe' it could be a bit more info, but still, if you at least know about something it's blocked/permitted, then it's a head start.

TAS :)

Attached Files:

25. Tassie_Devils

Great Erik... got a pic of the logs mate?

TAS

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.