anyone use Ninja on Ubuntu

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by mack_guy911, Oct 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

2. How is this useful, exactly? If Ninja runs as the normal root user, anyone who can elevate to root can kill it.

3. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

I want to use ninja, but I can't see it or find it, sneaky little thing.
    Mrk

4. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

Yeah. If an attacker has a code-path to a root owned process and can exploit that process, ninja won't be able to stop it. What it can help with, though, is stopping someone who only has user access on your box from escalating to root (i.e. by stopping them from starting a suid process and then exploiting it). Of course, this will do no good if they are running under your user ID in the first place (since you will have whitelisted all the suids for yourself).

So, basically all this tool is good for is stopping a blacklisted user (who is not your user) from running SUID binaries. Not very helpful, imo.

5. chrisretusn

chrisretusn Registered Member

I am having a hard time understanding the usefulness of this Ninja. Is this an Ubuntu thing?

6. chronomatic

chronomatic Registered Member

I had never heard of it before today either and I consider myself quite Linux security savvy. And, no, it will run on any Linux box, regardless of distro. But as I pointed out above, I think it is rather useless.

7. mack_guy911

mack_guy911 Registered Member

i also agree if he had a root access he can do anything same with if your system no-encrypted the he dont need even that all require is a live bootable cd of linux

but question how he had root access at 1st place specially from remote side.

:D

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 4, 2012
  8. Mrkvonic

Mrkvonic Linux Systems Expert

You missed my ninja reference ... :)
    Mrk

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.