Anyone use IcoFX? I have aquestion.

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by allizomeniz, Nov 19, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Okay, here's the problem. Let's say I create an icon and save it as Untitled-3.ico, then later delete it. Then a couple of days later I create a new icon with the same name, Untitled-3.ico, and save it. For some reason the new icon has the same image as the one deleted two days ago. If I rename the icon with a name I've never used then it's okay. My system must be saving the old one somewhere even though I've deleted it, but I can't figure out where. I searched all my files and folders for "Untitled" and also the registry. IcoFX has a list of recently used files but I deleted it and can't find anywhere else it might be storing history. I deleted the contents of my clipboard and don't use Windows' recently opened files and folders. Does anyone have any idea why it's doing this? I have Vista and IcoFX 1.6.4.

I couldn't find anything at the IcoFX forum and it's not accepting new registrations for some reason so I can't ask there. I like IcoFX for the most part, but if anyone knows of a freebie that's better I'd be open to giving it a shot. Thanks. :)

2. GlobalForce

GlobalForce Regular Poster

Was the file deleted by IcoFX? Whaddaya make of this exchange Alli .. sorta parallels what you've described?

3. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

Just a thought, it could still be in Thumbnail cache and/or Icon Cache ?

4. stackz

stackz Registered Member

It's exactly as CloneRanger said, try this first, if that doesn't rectify the problem then try using ccleaner to delete the thumbnail cache or clean manually if you know how.

5. allizomeniz

allizomeniz Registered Member

Ahh, the thumbs cache, I knew some of the smart people here would be able to figure it out. :)

I rebuilt the thumb cache and that took care of it, but when I experimented to see what it would do it started all over again. I hate that you have to delete the whole darn cache in Vista just to get rid of the old unused ones. I can't believe there's not a simpler way. :thumbd:

Global, interesting read. IcoFX is a pretty light and simple app. It doesn't appear to keep its own thumbs database like Easyshare. That was one of the first things I looked for. There's not even a way to delete thumbs from the app itself.

Thanks all, I'm really glad to have it solved. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.