Anyone Use BufferZone Pro / Is it Still Developed?

Discussion in 'sandboxing & virtualization' started by Brandonn2010, Sep 22, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brandonn2010

Brandonn2010 Registered Member

BufferZone's an interesting program. I've tried it and it is a lot like DefenseWall, but works on 64-bit systems. It seems it's default settings are somewhat weak, but are easily increased to block almost all threats. However, according to Softpedia and their website, it hasn't been updated since November 13, 2012, and the link to their forum just redirects to their homepage?

Does anyone use this regularly, and does anyone know if it is still developed?

2. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

Did you ever find an answer? I was also curious about this.

3. Chuck57

Chuck57 Registered Member

I used BZ for nearly a year, only changing because I wanted to try something else. I did make some adjustments in the settings to tighten it up.

I've still got the program .exe on an external drive and could go back to it someday. As far as I'm concerned, you can't go wrong with it. On my ancient computer, Pentium 4 Dell Dimension 3000 with 2G RAM there was a slight slowdown but not bad.

I never had anything get through BZ and never had any problem with it. So far as I know, it's still being developed. Somewhere here there's a thread on tightening the settings.

4. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

I been looking but if someone finds that thread on tightening BZ settings as Chuck57 suggested, please feel free to share it.

5. Brandonn2010

I think by default to make things more user-friendly, it will automatically run signed executables outside BufferZone, so that is a potential risk since some (how much?) malware is signed.

Edit: Nevermind. Default is Unsigned inside BufferZone, signed will prompt.

I hope they are still developing this, but there hasn't been an update on Softpedia in almost a year.

Attached Files:

6. Peter 123

Peter 123 Registered Member

Perhaps some postings in this thread are of interest (e.g. ##35 to 39, ##46 and 59, all written by Kees1958 ):

https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=287917&page=2

7. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Thanks for indicating those references.

Bufferzone should update soon after so long an absence or their future might just become another victim of a customer shutdown leading to complete dismissal of interest.

8. Chuck57

That's the thread I was referring to. Didn't realize the thread was that old. Use Kees suggestions and BZ will be about as bulletproof as anything you can find (in my opinion).

9. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

How do like Bufferzone Chuck57?

I toyed with it briefly on XP and found it too heavy compared to the likes of Sandboxie, SD, and of course my then SuperLite HIPS eqs, but now i been almost exclusively on Windows 8 64bits with a stronger machine to power used-to-be-heavy software's, that's made my choices expand out more then before.

Easter

10. Chuck57

I love it. There is a slight slowdown on this computer, an ancient Dell 3000 Pentium 4 with 2G RAM and Vista. On my old computer, an even older Dell with 1G RAM there was no slowdown at all.

I'm not sure why the slowdown, other than maybe it's other software I've got on this thing but can't figure what. I have BZ and now Webroot for my security and that's it.

Actually with Google Chrome, I'm not sure BZ is even needed. Webroot however, you'd have to fight me to make me remove it.

11. Brandonn2010

I think I'm right however about it not being developed anymore. I even emailed them last week and haven't got a response. It would be a shame to see this disappear the way of GeSWall...

12. Chuck57

I almost cried when GESwall went away. It was a great program and may still be 90% effective against malware.

I don't know if BufferZone is still under development. Set up the way Kees has it in the thread mentioned, it's still a solid means of protection though, and should be for a long time.

13. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Yeah, i share that sentiment. I feared with 64bit machines we might lose some previously outstanding and stable security programs, and unfortunately it's happened. On XP 32bit i still have a Super HIPS in EQSysecure and the solid coverage of other similar apps in a layered failsafe setup.

With Windows 8 64bit however my most reliable 2 HIPS are sorely missing now. Never mind the likes of Comodo, OutPost FW, and a limited few other suggestions, buggy and limited as they are. Losing those 2 HIPS for me was like uninstalling your very best windows protection and relying solely on our stellar protection model courtesy Standard Microsoft and their replacement Patchguard and UAC. Ok, they work ok for now but like all windows systems, it's only a matter of time until they get bypassed too.

GesWall was very effective and it's sad to have watched it fold up i hope Bufferzone won't turn out the same.

Thanks all for sharing your satisfaction with 64bit Bufferzone. I will give it a whirl with Kees Tightened Rules.

Easter

14. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I think it is still being developed as it has a new website. :D

15. For people using (vista/win7) x64 it is a great application used in this way

a) don't sandbox your Chrome browser (it is stronger without SBIE or BZ, https://www.wilderssecurity.com/showthread.php?t=350960)
    b) set it to sandbox unsigned programs downloaded (from Internet) and running from USB-drves
    c) use the safe browser feature on IE (two browsers different purpose defense plus BZ's keylogger protection)

d) use EMET to guarantee safe certificate paths (on IE)

As said, you can't go wrong :thumb: Without using it as a Sandboxie alternative (using the Comodo/Avast like Sandbox option) it uses a lot less CPU capacity

Regards Kees

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 25, 2013
  16. kupo

kupo Registered Member

I've received a reply email from them and it still is in development, but their focus is in the Enterprise version. The support for Windows 8 and 8.1 is very low in priority.

17. Jryder54

Jryder54 Registered Member

Thank you for letting us know!

18. TrustwareUriel

TrustwareUriel Registered Member

Hi Everybody

Thank you for expressing interest in BufferZone. Your comments are important to us and are very much appreciated.
    We are indeed focusing our efforts on the enterprise market, but we will post the most recent version of BufferZone on the site early next week. We will also be releasing a new version in a few weeks.

Although we officially do not support the home product we will endeavour to address any issues, comments and suggestions raised in forums or sent to our support email.

As we all know, the nature of online malware and other threats has changed profoundly in recent years. Hopefully, market awareness to the fact that having av is just not enough anymore will also grow proportionally and BufferZone will be there to provide the solution. As we grow, with your help and support, we will be able to focus on the retail market again.

Sincerely,
    Uriel Ginsburg
    V.P. R&D
    Trustware

19. Brandonn2010

Excellent! :thumb:

20. Krysis

Krysis Registered Member

Last time I tried installing Bufferzone 4 was way back in May 2012 - but it refused to install – a search of the web indicated that Bufferzone was apparently incompatible with CIS. As I was running Comodo Firewall at the time (and still am) I didn't bother pursuing the issue any further.
    I recorded this additional user comment at the time (can't remember the source)

''BufferZone 4 64 bit is a work in progress; I have tried it along with security software such as SEP 12, CIS, F-Secure, Outpost, and so far only Outpost got along along with BZ 4. With F-Secure, BZ 4 64 caused windows logon to crash, SEP 12 would not update anymore and the booting process was slow as hell; with CIS, BZ 4 prevented my computer to even boot, hanging somewhere along the boot process. Only Outpost worked with BZ 4 64 bit''

I presume these issues have been resolved since then? (it is awhile ago!)

21. kupo

kupo Registered Member

Thanks for the information. :thumb: Since Sandboxie went rentware, and Sandboxie free version having less protection (with regards to forced file and folders) than Bufferzone, I think Bufferzone has a chance again in this market.

22. jnthn

jnthn Registered Member

I've used this in the past and noticed some drag in system performance.
    That performance issue as well as BZ leaving a bunch orphaned/empty folders
    when the virtual zone was emptied made me uninstall it. Hopefully an updated
    release fixes or has fixed these issues (used it about two years ago and never
    got to follow its development).

23. EASTER

EASTER Registered Member

Excellent News!

Welcome to Wilder's Security Forums.

Please accept our invitation for you to return often in open discussion as in the latest reports and releases on this Bufferzone program.

We look forward to learning more about it's future plans.

Regards EASTER

24. Tyrizian

Tyrizian Registered Member

Seven thing's I would like to see for future versions of BufferZone Pro:

1. A dramatic reduction of system resources.
    2. Windows 8 and 8.1 support (Has been discussed already)
    3. A pickup in development for Home users
    4. Possibly new features that strengthen the security of BufferZone Pro
    5. Offer a limited free version, as well as a pro version for home users (I think offering just a free version is what slowed down the development for retail...My opinion)
    6. Get more involved with the community/ask the user base on how to better the product. (Embrace user feedback)

Not necessary, but yet a nice little bonus.
    7. A redefined interface that looks more clean and modern.

Last edited: Nov 13, 2013
  25. VXB

VXB Registered Member

FYI

Out of curiosity I went back to the main site and noticed they have a Feb release 4.07-128. Most files in the MSI archives are dated 2013-12-29.

I thought I would give it a shot on my old XP rat lab. So far so good. They seam to have addressed whatever it was making it unstable on my machines for nearly 2 years.

I guess it is not dead yet and this one is an improvement over previous versions stability wise.

I'm happy to be able to use it again.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.