Anyone try DriveSentry? It's freeware now!

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by zopzop, May 10, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

Found here :
    http://www.drivesentry.com/index.php

Looks cool. Anyone here have experience with this app? I remember a while ago they offered a limited features free version. Now it seems they are giving you the full version of the program for free.

2. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

I don't have any experience with this program, but it certainly looks interesting. I've read several of the reviews, and plan on installing it as soon as I'm done posting this! Good looking out, zopzop! :thumb:

3. bryanjoe

bryanjoe Registered Member

their latest news is dated 25 Jan 2007....

4. innerpeace

innerpeace Registered Member

A firewall for your hard drive.:eek: I didn't know it needed one lol. Seriously, it looks interesting, and I know I have heard the name before. I wonder how they make money? It looks like you can get community based advice for what to allow or disallow.

5. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Oh no, not another one :D I'm right on it. A member was trying to encourage me to test this only a few weeks ago. LoL

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Gave it a quick run.The "Allow and Remember" button wouldn't light up so got rid of it.

7. Kees1958

Kees1958 Registered Member

Hi all,

As you problably know I more a fan of data protection, than preventing outbreak of stolen data. I have tried Sensive Guard (datawall + firewall), am now using EQsecure (also has data protection option) + GeSWall Pro (allows you to set read deny to untrusted aps) and our other PC using Winpooch (data + registry + basic traffic control).

I have trailed drivesentry when the free version was cripleware. The setup of DriveSentry is very sleak, only when it does not allow you to remember your choices it is hassle-ware (cuased by the pop-ups).

I will keep Winpooch on our PC, glad Franklin told us that the allow + remember option does not work (otherwise I would have given it a second chance).

Regards K

8. QBgreen

QBgreen Registered Member

Running it (v. 2.1.1.20) on my XP Pro SP2 machine. I've had no issues as far as it not remembering my choices. So far, it's working as advertised. I can see the value in this program, particularly as it's now free!

9. zopzop

zopzop Registered Member

i wonder how it would fair against non destructive tests like : morgud's threat simulator, ghostsecurity's regtest, the two processes termination programs (DCS's APT and SPT from systemsafety monitor), and maybe 2 dangerous actual viruses : xpkiller and killdisk.

10. Kees1958

QBGreen,

Has the latest version also wildcards on registry protection? If so I am going to try it also.

Thx K

EDIT:

Tried it, has a more feature rich data protection than SensitiveGuard or WinPooch. Is more user friendly than EQSecure or WinPooch, but has very limited registry control, so I am keeping WinPooch on son's PC.

Reg K

Last edited: May 11, 2007
  11. ErikAlbert

ErikAlbert Registered Member

Is DriveSentry able to protect my data partition [D:] against any change, if I want to ?
    My data partition contains all my personal data, emails, ...

12. Kees1958

ErikAlbert,

Yes you can set access and restrictions on a per application basis on both directories, file extentions and even specific files. So when you only allow for instance your word processor and e-mail applications to read, write and delete those files, other programs can not access or read them.

Regards K

13. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

Looks like drivesentry.com has had a revamp all round, what makes drivesentry free now?

14. 19monty64

19monty64 Registered Member

I installed DS no problems. Setting it up was a breeze. Everything was fine until I tried to switch profiles, which I could only do if I shut down DS first-no problem. Went to other profile and DS pops up wanting sign-in and to config. this profile. With 4 profiles on this pc and having to shut down DS before switching, I uninstalled. I can remember but if a member of my family forgets, I'd have to power-down to exit the blank screen to get into a profile. Pity as it seemed a good app. with low impact on ram. I also noticed a lot of extra ports open after activating DS. hmmmmmo_O

15. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

Great app, working sweet so far. I've got it setup to protect my backup files on my 2nd harddrive. Just gonna put it thru a few simple tests to see if its worth keeping.

16. bellgamin

bellgamin Registered Member

I *assume* that DS runs in the background at all times (i.e. it uses a real-time-monitor (RTM)). If so, I am uninterested in having a "one-trick pony" running full time. There are simpler ways to adequately protect files without running yet another RTM ...Or am I missing something in my logic?

17. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

Is it too early to ask if anyone thinks DriveSentry would be better than Prevx1? Or I guess in only a couple of few weeks better than what Prevx 2 will offer?

18. farmerlee

If you want to write protect your personal data then drivesentry is a good option. I have it setup to monitor my external HD which has my personal data on it. Nothing can be changed on that drive unless i allow it.

19. farmerlee

I wouldn't say its better as prevx is completely different imo. DS gives you write protection over data on your computer.

20. EASTER.2010

EASTER.2010 Guest

Not sure anymore if it's even needed given the instant rollback & virtualization cover my unit is currently protected with. We are in security program overload here and it's now become a buyers market with the high population rate of them.

21. Kees1958

Well that depends on how you want to set up your security defense. Forrester Research or the Gartner group (both are IT trendwatching and consultancy firms), have thought out a simple matrix on which you can design your multi-level security architcture.

The horizontal dimension is based on protection techniques: hardening, black listing, behavioral and ultimately White listing. They assume these techniques to have an increasing protection power and increasing knowledge of configuration.

The vertical dimension is based on the sequence of events an infection developes. The idea behind this is that the sooner the attack is intercepted, the lesser damage will occur. The sequence is traffic entry (or network conection), entry (or threat) gate, process level, data level, escape (outbound traffic).

In this sense security software offering to monitor creation of drivers, modification of sensible OS-files offers an additional feature. They protect or warn you before the change (the 'trigger'). Therefore SSM Pro offers registry protection and ProSecurity now also offers data protection. So when for instance your security software misses the installation of a driver, a program on data level protection can warn when a *.drv or *.sys file is created or modified.

The same applies to personal data. SensiveGuard for instance offers to forbid access to specified file extentions for programs with internet connection. GeSWall offers the same thing (denying access to confidential folders by untrusted programs). With DriveSentry you can restrict access to your personal data only by your text processor or e-mail program. As a stand alone application this offers not much protection, but in combination with for instance a behavioral blocker on process level (e.g. CyberHawk), or anti-executable (SSM-free) you can be reasonably certain these aps are unchanged and trusted.

EQSeccure/ProsSecurity offer the lot on process and data level (process modification, registry protection, data protection). SSM Pro will follow its nearest competitor soon, so with programs like ProSecurity and SSM Pro you have got your defenses covered from process until outbound traffic. When you combine this with a Sandbox or Virtuaization application and a hardware firewall, you can cover your tracks with only two safety aps.

In this context AntiSpyware and Antivirus are old ways of tackling threats. Eastern does not use AV's anymore (I think). I wanted to skip them also on our home PC's, buth both wife and son demanded their antivirus back!. On this forum I also see people keeping their version of Comodo when they do have for instance SSM-Pro or ProSecurity and are behind a hardware firewall. A software firewall would only be usefull (add security) in this context when it offers additional black listing or behavioral analysis on the NDIS-level.

Softeware firewalls have the same 'state of mind' to security experts as antivirusses have to the general public. The reason behind this that when a malware is able to get in AND OUT, you have what they call a control loop. This means that somebody from outside could take control over your computer. To IT-professional this is the ultimate horror scenario. For this reason on a corporate level (or for non-profit organisations), it is understandable that they add a powerful fence on their premises, even though their security architecture provides sufficient safety to the building. This emotional state of mind is refelected in security forums, where the modorators offen are IT-professionals with a lot of firewall knowledge. Therefore security aware home users do sense this in the answers of the experts and start using software firewalls even when they have their tracks covered (e.g. the home user with hardware firewall, ProSecurity and for instance DefenseWall).

Aplogies for the lengthy answer

Regards K

Last edited: May 12, 2007
  22. Perman

Perman Registered Member

Hi, Kees: No apologies are needed here. Anytime, this nature of lengthy reply, to me , is most welcomed. After reading your posting, my know-how re security suddenly upgrates from level 101 to 201. Thanks. Your invaluable inputs are welcomed by me ALLTIME. Have a nice one, always.

23. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

Just a side note: notebooks. What you said is true, for me also, in a way. But i should note that i'm not always behind my router. Even if i used SSM, i'd still use Comodo.

24. Kees1958

Perman,

You giving me to much credit, Pedro for instance is right. When you have a notebook and use it on for instance public access points it is good to have a powerful software firewall with ourbound protection.

Regards K

25. dave88

dave88 Registered Member

:doubt: o_O

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.