Anyone tried TC system encrypt with W8?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by dogbite, Apr 8, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dogbite

dogbite Registered Member

I am planning to buy a new laptop for my wife. Unfortunately most offers are not any longer with W7 but W8. As I do not need the Pro version (featuring bitlocker) I would like to system encrypt with TC.
    I found mixed information on the web about using TC with W8. Any direct feedback from anyone here?

Thanks

2. PaulyDefran

PaulyDefran Registered Member

Check the TC forums, but I think you may be asking for trouble. If the "BIOS" can disable UEFI, maybe you have a shot...but why not just load Win7? Get a $150 cheaper laptop, and join TechNet :D But no, I will never use Win8, so no direct info for you.

PD

3. dogbite

Actually I was checking this afternoon with Dell (my plan is to buy a Dell, since more than 10 years I buy Dell because of their superior service) for a Latitude. As default they come with W8, the sales rep told me it's not possible to buy it downgraded to W7...
    But the good news was that W8 is the Pro version, featuring bitlocker so maybe my concern is over now.

4. caspian

caspian Registered Member

I have read from HP that if you get Windows 8 Pro you can downgrade to Windows 7. But only with W8 Pro. No other W8 version is downgradable.

I just ordered a new laptop. I decided to order it with Windows 7 from HP. I looked at Dell but they did not let me choose a 17.3 monitor.

5. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

6. dogbite

I guess I have to wait for a new TC release compatible with W8.
    I just ordered a new PC (for the first time in my life not a Dell...I picked a Lenovo..) which comes with W8 Home.
    Or maybe I upgrade to W8 Pro, if not too expensive and then I use bitlocker.

7. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I have a feeling the only reason W8 is selling at all, is due to OEM's forced on consumers wishing to buy new computers. I hate Windows 8, and don't appreciate being forced to use it, even worse when drivers are only Win8 and are not backwards compatible with Windows 7. Its kinda criminal, especially when with Windows 8 the Microsoft store is forced upon you.

8. Warlockz

Warlockz Registered Member

Sorry to hear that, hope you find something that suites your needs.

My opinion on windows 8
    I also dislike the idea of windows 8 its more like a cell phone imo, but users want social apps and a computer to use for their social life, they should have called it Windows Facebook edition. but they also like quick easy access to their everyday apps and media too, especially if their a really social person, i can see where windows 8 can come in handy, and the touchscreen windows 8 machines are pretty cool.....its just not an OS for a privacy nut, for that "Privacy" users are going to eventually have to switch to linux where they have more control!
    (Privacy Nut as in extremely paranoid privacy nut, Not the average user like the op who just wants to encrypt their laptop so a thief cant access their data if their laptop ever gets jacked, just to be clear lol)

Their already adding windows 8 components to windows 7 updates, so the core of 8 like Internet Explorer 10 is a part of 7 now if you let it update, so their really isnt a big difference now in versions besides a huge software support gap and of course windows 8 is different in many other ways, but developers are upgrading quick, so your favorite software should be updated soon if not already.

IMO,Use windows for socal and media like how can you be socal and network if your hiding in your box, they only have the persona you give them, and linux for anything you consider private, but beware some linux distros like ubuntu, are like socal computers if not properly set up right!

Last edited: Apr 12, 2013
  9. Taliscicero

Taliscicero Registered Member

I am a smart guy, I also play video games. Video games are not so easy on Linux, which is one of the only reasons I'm still using windows. I being smart should get along well with Linux, but in reality everything is completely different to windows which is what i have been brought up on. I would gladly use Linux if there was "one" version, which "worked" for "everyone" and not a thousand copies for a thousand different reasons. Which makes compatibility on Linux even more complicated. I also don't want to learn commands for terminal if I wanna get anything done. I wanna go into a setting and change it manually, an example would be changing DNS settings, last time on Ubuntu, you had to type in codes in Terminal to get it to stick which sucks. In an operating system you should never have to Google answers to simple executions.

10. DesuMaiden

DesuMaiden Registered Member

Encrypting W8 is pointless. Big Brother watches everything you do on W8.

11. The Red Moon

The Red Moon Registered Member

What a ridiculous thing to say.

If that were true then there would be no encryption software in existence.

Encryption software has many uses.If your computer is stolen is one example.

~ Removed Off Topic Comments ~

Last edited by a moderator: Apr 28, 2013
  12. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

The best way to still get a good system with Windows 7 is through Dell Outlet or other manufacturers equivalent. Those are refurbished or returns and they make sure they're fine and sell them at steep discounts. Same warranty. Lots of Win7 laptops, some even with 3rd Gen Intel i7 processors in Dell Outlet. They put them up all day every day - it's a "live" system, so if they don't have what you want, just wait a few hours and check again. There's even an RSS feed. Seriously, I'd go that route before I shelled out for a new Windows 8 system.

13. dogbite

Unfortunately I cannot make it.

1. I am not in the US/Canada, I think Dell Outlet is not available in EU.
    2. I have already bought a lenovo with W8. :D

14. zmechys

zmechys Registered Member

I'm using TrueCrypt on Windows 8 without any issues.
    It does what is supposed to do.
    Maybe I did not get your question.

15. S.B.

S.B. Registered Member

There's a recent post about TC on W8 at the TC Forums, Windows 8 system encryption advice, that outlines some potential problems.

Another recent post at the TC Forums, Is TrueCrypt Dead?, reports a private communication from TC Developer, David M., in response to a query about W8 and UEFI/GPT booting as follows,
    "The features you mentioned are currently being implemented. The work (UEFI support) is not trivial and requires a major update."​

Various problems have arisen with Jetico's Best Crypt Volume Encryption of W8/UEFI/GPT system partitions as can be seen in various threads at Jetico's BestCrypt Volume Encryption Support Forum, for example, http://www.smokey-services.eu/forums/index.php/topic,245359.0.html, and http://www.smokey-services.eu/forums/index.php/topic,242827.0.html...

The long and short of it appears to be that currently W8/BIOS/MFT system partitions can be successfully encrypted with TC, but problems might possibly arise with some advanced TC features; and the TC developers are actively working to fully adapt TC to W8...

__

Last edited: Apr 29, 2013
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.