Anyone successfully upgrade Vista to 7 without problems?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bonedriven, May 21, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bonedriven

bonedriven Registered Member

Last time my attempt to upgrade windows 7 from Vista was almost a failure. The upgraded OS was full of strange problems and unusable at all. I wanna know if there is anyone that succeeded? Any tip to share?

2. lodore

lodore Registered Member

I always advise people to avoid upgrading from one OS to another.
    in this case i would definatly say avoid doing it since windows 7 isnt final yet and is still undergoing some changes.

3. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

There is really only one way to upgrade and that's to do a fresh clean install of the new OS. I wouldn't go any other route....

4. bonedriven

Microsoft's OS upgrade is a joke?

5. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

I have no idea, but I wouldn't chance it. Clean fresh install is all I'd do. It's the easiest and probably best way to stay trouble free....

6. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    We could not agree more.

7. Osaban

Osaban Registered Member

When I tried to upgrade from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 beta, it didn't work.
    On the other hand when I upgraded from Vista Ultimate to Windows 7 RC it went very well. I should also add that I took some precautions: An image of Vista with the guarantee of ShadowProtect, I disabled the GUARD of Avira during the upgrade, I uninstalled applications that could create some problems namely Look'n'Stop firewall, Shadow Defender, and FirstDefense PC Rescue.

As I said everything went perfectly, I reinstalled successfully Shadow Defender, Avira responded normally, although I did not try to reinstall Look'n'Stop as it is not ready yet for Win7.

My printer and scanner worked also without any problems. I'm back with Vista as the reason for my test was to ascertain the possibility of an upgrade if Microsoft offers it at a reasonable price (wishful thinking!)

8. Kerodo

Kerodo Registered Member

Yeah, I have been using both here and I'm afraid the price is going to be my deciding factor also. If 7 can be had at a reasonable price, then I'll switch, otherwise, I think I just might stay with Vista x64. For now, 7 RC is running nicely and will continue for a year I guess...

9. bonedriven

OK,I'm gonna do the same. Backup first and uninstall some softwares that may cause trouble before upgrade.
    Last time I tried to upgrade from Vista Premium to 7 ultimate RC7100 32bit. I'm gonna try 7127 ultimate this time. :)

10. DCM

DCM Registered Member

I have tried to "upgrade" every version of windows with the old version in place over the last 20 years and while they usually would run, within 2 weeks it always became necessary to do a clean reinstall.

Now, I will never do that again and save having to install the new software twice.

11. NAMOR

NAMOR Registered Member

I have been running an upgraded version of 7 from vista ultimate since the 7100 build was release. Haven't had any issues. All my apps and games run fine. The only thing that I did before the upgrade was uninstall all my security software. Just incase the upgrade hosed the drivers.

12. bonedriven

I had Uninstalled security programs and upgraded to 7 successfully. Everything goes fine! :)

13. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

I read somewhere that european users of XP/Vista will not be able to upgrade to Win 7 when it comes to market. The lack of IE in Win 7 will prevent the upgrade process. Presumably clean install is the only option.

Thats gonna suck, if true.

14. bonedriven

Would uninstalling IE in previous OS not do? I guess there will be a solution if it would be an issue.

15. Keyboard_Commando

Keyboard_Commando Registered Member

Last edited: Jul 5, 2009
  16. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

It will not do because it so closely nit with OS and can't be done.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.