Anyone still using Hijackthis?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by captainron, Jan 17, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. captainron

captainron Registered Member

Hi all,

Appears most of the forum hasn't used hijackthis in years. The current version 2.0.2 was released December 2007. Current version supports XP, most likely the beta is for vista and Windows 7.

Since about 2004 I've normally ran hijackthis about 2-3 times a year and quickly check the log for anything suspicious and check my log on the online log analyzer at www.hijackthis.de

Is hijackthis still a valid program for XP in your opinion, or worth keeping installed? Am I stuck in 2003 still using this on my XP machine? New scanners or modern browsers help make this program obsolete?

2. dw426

dw426 Registered Member

I would imagine it, like many of the "old school" tools we used to love (Ad-Aware, Spybot) are obsolete now. That's an opinion though. Since the program does nothing but sit there unless you use it, there's certainly no harm in keeping it around.

3. Page42

Page42 Registered Member

If HijackThis was an obsolete tool then the MBAM forum wouldn't be using it in their Malware Removal thread.

4. dcrowe0050

dcrowe0050 Registered Member

I don't know if it will ever be completely obsolete but who knows. I have used it once in the last 2 years maybe. But I never used it very much in the first place

5. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

Maybe with TrendMicro taking the product over there was some discontent -I heard TM tweaked HJT to gather a user's system data although I have not heard much about that lately. Then again when was the last TM took over any program that they actually improved? Remember Intermute?

But it also seems like the MBAM's and A-squared's of the world are able to detect most malware on a system and HJT won't help much for detecting rootkits anyway IIRC. Plus posting HJT logs here on this site is taboo. So there's not much need for a HJT discussion to percolate anymore here on Wilders.

6. culla

culla Registered Member

i still use portable version on other peoples comps as a double check it still works well

7. Capp

Capp Registered Member

As a big part of my services is spyware/virus removal, I use HJT a lot. Keep it on a thumbdrive for easy access. I don't see it becoming obsolete anytime soon.
    :thumb:

8. c2d

c2d Registered Member

Very useful tool and I m still using it

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.