Anyone still using good ole' AVG freebie av???

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by acr1965, Aug 22, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I know AVG has gotten a bad wrap the past few years. But there have been some recent tests that show it may not be as bad as most think, detection-wise anyway. Who is still running this product? How is it on resource usage and surfing speed, help support, etc?

2. progress

progress Guest

Surfing speed is good, help isn't really needed :D I guess the next version of AVG free will be great because Advanced Anti-Rootkit will be included (and maybe Identity Protection too) :thumb:

3. Matthijs5nl

Matthijs5nl Guest

I am sure some people don't agree with me; but I can't think of any reason why avast! Free or Avira Personal would be better than AVG Free. (I don't want to make this a A vs. B thread.)

Really nothing wrong with AVG Free, enough people who still use it, and version 10 could be quite awesome for the reasons progress described.

4. CiX

CiX Registered Member

Currently I m using AVG Free, very light :thumb:
    Waiting for v10 :D

5. 3GUSER

3GUSER Registered Member

AVG has been very popular for about 2-3 years (I think) , around 2004-2006 ... It may not be as used as in the past and not as used in this forum but I know 2 people in my town who use this program (the free version). As new players on the free market appear (Panda , Microsoft , Immunet,COMODO...) it is normal that people's usage will dilute.

6. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I like AVG because it is one of the lightest AVs. Identity Protection (what they call their BB module) is the key. If they include it version 10 will be great. Otherwise it will lose ground to other freebies that do include behavior blockers.

7. Victek

Victek Registered Member

In my experience with AVG Free over the years it has never either stopped or successfully removed viruses from PCs (including the latest version). I've also seen situations where it delays PC shutdown making it a real pain to reboot the system. Other free AVs I've used and installed for customers have lower overhead and haven't caused shutdown problems. This is anecdotal of course, and I always look at new versions for improvements.

8. progress

progress Guest

Where can I find your tests with all the facts? :rolleyes:

9. sg09

sg09 Registered Member

I have found many of my friends using AVG. They never got infected because AVG search shield is really a bonus among all free AV. Moreover it can scan pen drives on insertion and also it can handle proxy with authentication best.

10. clocks

clocks Registered Member

I think version 8 really hurt AVG. Version 7 was very nice and light, but 8 got a little bloated. Version 9 is improved, but as Norton has learned it takes a while to get rid of a bad rep.

I have been beta testing version 10 on one of my PCs, and look forward to its release. I am really interested in seeing what is included in the free version.

11. LODBROK

LODBROK Guest

It also works with Sandboxie seamlessly and conflict-free! :thumb:

Since AVG Free is so light and devoid of its own "we-do-it-all" stuff, it lives and plays well with the likes of MBAM Pro, SpyShelter, SAS Pro, etc. for those who insist on layering things their own way.

Considering the ID Protection is a $20 add-on to Free, it might be the best protection value available right now.

It might be a given the advanced anti-rootkit will be included in AVG 2011 Free, I think they're probably moving to having one anti-rootkit strategy rather than the basic/advanced split they have now.

IMHO, it is wishful thinking that IDP will be in Free. But, we can dream... :D

12. clocks

clocks Registered Member

They will probably decide to leave it out, but if so, the free version doesn't serve much purpose. There are other, more comprehensive, freebies available.

Last edited: Aug 22, 2010
  13. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Identity Protection is a must, otherwise it will be outdated... It's ok otherwise.

14. Ibrad

Ibrad Registered Member

In my own personal opinion that need to rename Identity Protection to something like Anti-bot or Behavior Blocker. When I hear about Identity protection it makes me think of those life-lock commercials which is what most people think of (well most people I know of) think of when they hear identity protection.

15. clocks

clocks Registered Member

+1 :thumb:

16. bravo12

bravo12 Registered Member

AVG Internet Security 9.0 is one of the best Internet Securities 2010. Very light and strong malware detection. I'm happy with it.

17. Kernelwars

Kernelwars Registered Member

well said:thumb:

18. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I'm considering running free AVG alongside Prevx paid and maybe even Mamutu. Anyone running a similar combo?

19. clocks

clocks Registered Member

Both Prevx paid and Mamutu? Seems like overkill to me.

20. sportsfan7700

sportsfan7700 Registered Member

Fort Worth, Texas USA "Where the West Begins"
    I stuck both the AVG 9.0 and AVG Beta 2011 in a antivirus folder but haven't played with them yet.

21. Victek

Victek Registered Member

I stated my comments were anecdotal, which means:

"based on personal observation or random investigations rather than systematic scientific evaluation".

so I don't consider them proof. I will be reading the reviews of the next version of AVG Free and will definitely test drive it if it looks promising though. I never close my mind to new software.

22. chriswiles

chriswiles Registered Member

AVG Free still dominates "Most Popular" downloads sites across the world - it regularly does 1.5 million downloads per week on Download.com, as an example. I think we can safely say the userbase is huge!

23. gery

gery Registered Member

AVG AV either free or paid is among the best solutions today in terms of protection and usability. Version 8 did down scaled a bit AVG reputation as it was not as light as the previous 7.5 but with 8.5 and above it really got on track. The other may have more fancy stuff but they have all showed that are not much better and not even better solutions . Anyway it also has to do with personal choices and stuff like that. I still do trust it and use it.:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: :thumb:

24. robinb9

robinb9 Registered Member

I have AVG on most of my clients computers where it plays nice. I have had problems with it on some of my computers so I uninstalled it and put Avast Free. I found the problems started in the April or May I believe upgrade. When this small upgrade was done it seemed to slow down my computers to a crawl. I had both the pro and free on them and found this. I also found that on a few clients computers it did the same thing and with no upgrade fix from AVG I really had no choice but to unintall and install either Avast Free or MSE.
    I liked AVG version 7 and 8. I think it became too bloated in 9 and that is why it has all these problems. I am hoping that 10 from what you all are saying will be much better. I will put it on one of my test machines and see how it does when it comes out. If i find it is finally much better then i will use it again.
    robin

25. jay2007tech

jay2007tech Registered Member

Am I the only one that thinks that this is flame bait material, just by the way it's written

There's nothing wrong with avg,(IMO I think there's just some better ones to choose from) Also, when it comes to AVG, I think the linkscanner is what people like about it. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.