Anyone running OutPost Pro and Avast Free

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Rilla927, Nov 21, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rilla927

Rilla927 Registered Member

I haven't installed neither of the two above in quite some time and wondered which you installed first so no collisions.

2. constantine76

constantine76 Registered Member

No problems whatsoever here. I installed AIS Build 1289 with Outpost Pro 7.1. I just followed exlusions on Avast settings for Agnitum folders in Program Files/Program Data. While others don't have issues I opted to make the exclusions instead.

For Outpost, just allow everything for all Avast processess in the Application Rules.

Maybe other users may chip in with their experience.

I saw a post at the Outpost forums about same exclusions but have no link for it. Maybe you can visit their forum their. Equally DavidR at the Avast forum also uses Outpost(free) maybe you can also ask there to get more mileage.

3. Circe

Circe Registered Member

In my experience I would install avast first then install outpost pro, this would be the best way to do it IMHO, This is because outpost pro has anti-spyware real time protection & could cause issues with avast. When Outpost is installed over avast, outpost turns off the real time protection of its anti-spyware component solving any issues that could arise between outpost and avast or any other anti-virus program you may have installed.

I just use Outpost Pro now but I have used Outpost Pro with avast in the past I have had no issues at all ( please note that I installed avast first then outpost) I hope this helps.

4. dansorin

dansorin Registered Member

i confirm, first installed avast (free) then outpost pro. haven't excluded each others directories and never had any problems.

5. Get

Get Registered Member

I run OP pro and Avast free with no problems. Installed OP after Avast. Didn't exclude anything, but checked the box as if I did.

6. Circe

Circe Registered Member

I just want to add that (version 7.5.2) of the agnitum range (firewall & suite) should be released sometime this week.
    Short history of Outpost 7.5.2 changes compared to version 7.5.1:
    Enhanced self-protection,
    Enhanced SmartDecision technology,
    Minor interface fixes,
    Anti-spam fixes (for Outpost Security Suite Pro),
    Most common crashes were fixed,
    Improved detection capabilities for packed executables thanks to the advanced unpacker technology (for anti-malware engine only).
    When Outpost 7.5.2 to be released, you will be additionally notified in our blog and web-site.
    source: http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/

7. Rilla927

Yes, usually I do the exclusion thing just to minimize any problems. You bring up a good point about the Program Data/Folder, thanks.

Okay, will do.

I can take a stroll through there, thank you.

8. Rilla927

I will install Avast first like you said and then do a custom install of OP and get rid of the spyware module. How well does the learning mode work?

I remember it had block all, block once, allow all, allow once. What do you use when you install it?

9. Rilla927

@Dansorin, Get

Thanks for chiming in:thumb:

10. Rilla927

@Circe

Thanks for the heads up on the new version. It will be a few weeks until I get all my new parts for a Z68 build so I was doing my homework a head of time. Thanks all.

11. Get

Get Registered Member

I use Rules Wizard. I let the rules for the programs installed be automatically created during install. On a clean pc that's ok. When it's installed I have Settings->Firewall: "Rules Wizard" and Run in stealth mode checked. Beneath that under Advanced 2 times Block most. General->ImproveNet-> under "Rules auto-creation": Disable automatic rule creation. Just my 2 cents.

12. Rilla927

@Get

That sure sounds good to me...I will give it a try. Much appreciated. Since we are all here I'm asking all of you in this thread, have you ever got a pop up for "System" asking for server rights? Last time I had this installed this came up and I denied Server rights and it ran real funny ever since that happened so I uninstalled it. I see they have done a lot of work in the last year on OP. It looks good.

Last edited: Nov 21, 2011
  13. Circe

Circe Registered Member

You don't have to do a custom install, Outpost will detect avast during the install and adjust outpost's real time protection accordingly, outpost's anti-spyware component will be on demand instead of real time.

Learning mode is a must unless you know what you are doing, The learning mode option allows Outpost to get to know your machine, anything suspect that wants to connect to the internet will be flagged anything that Outpost's thinks is safe will be allowed to connect tot he internet, you can always changed these settings after if you want to. I recommend using the learning mode. I hope this helps.

14. Get

Get Registered Member

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 21, 2011
  15. hayc59

hayc59 Updates Team

I am also running both with not a single issue...both are very nice compliment

16. Rilla927

That's good to know:thumb:

Sounds good. I forgot I have Stem's notes when he helped me install/lockdown OP. The best of the best.

17. majid20

majid20 Registered Member

They work prefect together

But first you must install Avast and then install Outpost

Second you must add outpost to avast's real time guard exclusions
    And add Avast to Outpost white list

Whit this way , even if your system is so weak , They work nicely together .

18. Circe

Circe Registered Member

7.5.2 is now due for release in December. The below is taken from their blog.
    http://agnitumblog.blogspot.com/

WEDNESDAY, NOVEMBER 30, 2011

Holiday Season will bring along Outpost 7.5.2
    For the last few weeks Outpost 7.5.2 has been under internal testing. Finally we are thrilled to share that the release is coming in December, around Holiday Season. We know how important for you is to be protected against the threats of 2012, so it's coming!

Outpost 7.5.2 will bring a number of significant enhancements including complete Unicode support and improved detection for packed executables!

We'll keep you updated, so no worries – you'll get it as soon as it arrives!

Best regards,
    Natalia Solovyeva

19. Rilla927

Hey guys,

I just installed OutPost Pro v7.5.1 yesterday and is it awesome. They sure done a nice job on this program...much better than I anticipated.

I read the above about the new version being out. I must have just missed it. I will wait to hear from others to see if the update went well.

I have one question... the OP icon is green with a minus sign through it. What does this mean? I took it out of learning mode and disabled automatic rule creation.

20. act8192

act8192 Registered Member

Block Most. It's block everything that your rules do not permit.
    Also occurs as you're going into standby.
    Right click the tray icon, see what you get. Also HELP file should confirm.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011
  21. Rilla927

Yes, I have it set to "Block Most". So it's supposed to be like this.

When I right click, I get "Show/Hide", Scan for Spyware, Settings, About, Firewall Policy, Disable Self-Protection, Enter Auto Learn-Mode, Suspend Protection. That's it.

I thought the icon was supposed to be blue.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.