anyone know what its called seeing what takes up what percent of hard drive space

Discussion in 'hardware' started by winterlord, Oct 3, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

hello, im tryin to figure out what kind of software to look for, to see how much hard drive space each thing uses. thats sounds a bit confusing but here's the goal im trying to reach.

i have a raid array (raid 0 )for my home computer, i read alot, i play the great new MMO= massive multiplayer online, game. im a security nut so i run a-squared, MSE, and outpost firewall at the moment, i do some recoding but not enough to lay my raid array out that way. and open/close programs. basicly the raid arrary (Raid 0 ) is for my Boot drive. i custome set all the foldersw like my documents, my pictures, ect to save on another drive, therefor on my boot drive im only concerned with performance and not at all reduntacy.

so i figured if i could find what the majority size of the files on my computer are, then i could set the most optimal raid 0 size 128kb, 64kb, 32kb, ect.
    i believe there is programs for this, but iv looked everywhere and not sure what it falls under file management, disk tools ect if someone could lead me in the right direction that would be great

thanks
    winter

2. BILL G

BILL G Registered Member

I use Easy Cleaner.

3. Bill_Bright

Bill_Bright Registered Member

4. Ade 1

Ade 1 Registered Member

Tuneup Utilities contains a component call Disk Space Explorer which contains a very detailed view of all files and how much space they take up. It also categorizes them as well (e.g. programs) and shows the top 10 largest files on a partition.

5. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

ok thanks guys. i got me a good program now. thanks for the guidence. i decided to use disk data. and found that the majority of files on that array (boot drive are 16kb-64kb - 128-256kb, on windows 7 so i believe if i set the raid for either 64kb or 32kb that would be optimal.

also i amk wondering should i match the cluster size to the raid size? how can i do that. how do you change cluster size, and iff i set the raid for 64kb, what size should i set on the cluster size?

thanks
    winter

6. tipstir

tipstir Registered Member

Every time you patch the system installation files are still there and use up huge amount of space. Memory VRM swapping leaves crap behind. *.BAK, *.DMP, *.TMP take ups space also. You can run scripts to run nightly to remove these files off your server drives.

7. bigbuck

bigbuck Registered Member

Treesize?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.