Anyone know of a good audio normalizer?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by bgoodman4, Feb 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bgoodman4

bgoodman4 Registered Member

I have been using a fairly decent program called MP3Gain to normalize my music collection but I still have to (too frequently) manually adjust the volume of audio tracks. Its better than it was but...... Does anyone know of a good quality program to do this sort of job? I have searched the net but the best i have been able to come up with is MP3Gain. I don't want to have to manually level tracks considering there are a lot of them (some 95 gigs and counting) so a program that I can just load the collection into and set to running is what I am after.

2. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

I assume all the music files are MP3, correct ? If so then you must be doing something wrong because MP3Gain is as good as it gets.

What settings are you using ?

3. bgoodman4

Normal volume 94 db
    Don't clip when doing Track Gain

I don't see much in the user defined category. I remember reading the help files and I believe I have opted for the best settings where I possibly can. That being said ,,,,as I said above its not bad but I still have to play with the volume from time to time which is a bit of a pain. The files (all MP3 192 bit) have been loaded into an IPOD and are played through that either into powered Bose speakers or through a direct line into the car stereo (or headphones of course). Its been so long since I loaded the IPOD (over 18,000 tracks) that I don't recall if the files were converted to Apples format or not (probably were ---mind you I am using a Media Monkey generated play-list so possibly not) but if they were of course it was done after running them through MP3Gain. If you know of a better set of user defined settings I would appreciate any suggestions you may have.

4. JRViejo

JRViejo Global Moderator

bgoodman4, FastGame is correct, MP3Gain is the defacto normalizer. Since you use it, you're probably very familiar with it, yet here's a How to Normalize MP3 Files tutorial as a refresher just in case you have overlooked a configuration setting.

5. bgoodman4

Thanks, I guess it has more to do with my hearing rather than the files. Too much loud music in my youth I guess (not kidding). This should be the worts I have to deal with in my life (one can only hope).:cool:

6. FastGame

FastGame Registered Member

bgoodman4, I use the default settings in MP3Gain, I use Track gain on all my files in one go. You could use the Undo function and try again (95gig might take awhile :D)

Don't use (IMO) the Advance> Maximizing or you'll end up in trouble....

I don't convert MP3's to any other Lossy format such as AAC, WMA, OGG, doing so will degrade quality even further....plus I doubt the MP3Gain tag will have any effect on converted AAC, WMA, OGG ;)

For the record its been years since I've used MP3Gain in Windows, worked fine when I did. I use MP3Gain in Linux, here's the Linux Guide for MP3Gain

7. bgoodman4

Thanks, perhaps this is why I am getting the volume variation. I will have to check what format the files are in on the IPOD.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.