Anyone know a mom-safe AV? ...

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by Demoras, Aug 25, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Demoras

Demoras Registered Member

My mom just got a laptop.
    She's going to be using WiFi to connect to internet, and she's probably going to take it elsewhere with her too so I need to make sure the system is secure. I would just install the programs I use... But well, you know, she's my mom. She doesn't understand it XD

So I practically need an antivirus that is effective and doesn't require much user interaction. It doesn't have to be simple, I'll be configuring it anyway.
    The antivirus programs I've been thinking about are AVG, Antivir and Avast!. What do you think?

(I also need firewall software but I'll just install Sygate Personal Firewall... I think it will do fine)

2. Peter2150

Peter2150 Global Moderator

3. aigle

aigle Registered Member

Avast if free
    NOD if paid.
    And configure it for her.

4. pilotart

pilotart Registered Member

I am far from expert on Antivirus software, but this is my experience, (BTW you should mention what OS she will be using).

From nine years of Norton (also used McAfee TrendMicro, Panda and others that no longer exist) I switched to AntiVir and never looked back.

On my WinXP Pro setup the PopUp NagScreen 'AvNotify' is never seen (by security setting).

My Win98fe backup system with P1-133MHz/72MB RAM still has the 'build 163' GPF following close of Console (very predictable and controlable) but it runs fine in other respects.

For 'free' I have no experience with the popular AVG or well thought of Avast, but EZ-Trust is free for the first year ($25 for two years when I looked last.

Have CA's EZ-Trust on 'her' WinXP-Home System and it works great, very light and no user interaction necessary, this would be my recomendation for her.

5. bigc73542

bigc73542 Retired Moderator

Trend Micro Internet security is easy to use and it also has a wireless protection module that actually works. Panda Titanium is effective and has wifi protection also and is very simple to use after initial setup. There are more but these two do work well with little intervention.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2006
  6. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

I would defer to BigC's experience.
    If you wanted to trial one here is a good trial opportunity. I realize you might not want to do that.
    http://www.microsoft.com/athome/security/viruses/wsc/en-us/default.mspx

In my own limited experience, I have put Avast Home on several friend's computers with satisfactory results. They are also the type that does not want to "fool with" an AV's popups, etc. For a firewall I would consider just using the Windows firewall.

Sygate would be better if you can configure it so that she does not get a lot of questions as to what to allow, but I know a lot of people who use the Windows firewall and AVG or Avast without problems.

Best,
    Jerry

7. lodore

lodore Registered Member

or the new bitdefender 10 set it up and your set put firewall on allow white list. great av imo

8. mnosteele

mnosteele Registered Member

Just install Active Virus Shield and set it up as I have shown HERE. It's free and "set and forget", you can even password protect it so that she won't change the settings.

:D

9. RejZoR

RejZoR Lurker

Properly set AOL ActiveVirusShield would probably the best thing (if set Desinfect if fails Quarantine or whats the setting for automation).

10. Demoras

Hmmm, that looks interesting. However, the link about how to configure this program doesn't seem to work :eek:

11. bigc73542

It is working now

Attached Files:

12. Demoras

That's weird, whenever I click on that link, or refresh that page it sais:

13. bigc73542

It is possible that it is IP specific that you can't see the page. If you have more than one browser installed you might try another and see if you can view it.

14. Demoras

Darn, I can't view it in either Firefox or Internet Explorer.

15. egghead

egghead Registered Member

If she were my mom I would force her to use PrevX1:

1.program is within the reach of a 5-year old (ABC mode=set & forget mode)

2.it is an AV, AS, AT and works very efficiently

3.integrated in the program is an apllication firewall (filters outgoing connection)

4.most important: you will not get a call in the pub from your mother asking you to help her because her pc is dead as a doornail. YOU will love this proggie also.;)

16. Demoras

Hmm... is PrevX1 free or not? What they put up on their site confuzzles me. It's free if my computer has never been infected? So... Would that mean that if it is infected, it's not free anymore? *scratches head*

17. egghead

I have scratched my egghead too. :rolleyes:

This is what I understand:

Dectection=free (and stays free)
    cleanup and protection is free for 28 days following your first infection,
    after this (=first infection + 28 days) you have to buy a (month/year) license.
    BTW license is cheaply priced.

Their software is much simpler :D

18. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

yup thats pretty much it.

i would still keep an antivirus alongside prevx1 to be safe tho.

19. egghead

I'm testing Prevx1R as only protection together with a firewalled router for almost a month now. I use I.E. as browser.

Prevx keeps the PC as clean as a church floor :D :thumb:

20. egghead

Yes, you're right.

I have tested PrevxR for 3 months together with a firewalled router as only protection. It has missed a couple of Trojans.

My opinion after using it for 3 months: PrevX is a good program to be used as an extra security layer but not as a standalone proggie.

21. C.S.J

C.S.J Massive Poster

ok, its for your mom. (or as us brits say mum)

no settings needed, no allow / deny things from installation

norton internet security 2007

it has to be the ONLY mom-safe antivirus on the market

another one... but 'some' settings are needed to change, is the avg internet security suite, its a set it and forget it suite and wont touch the performance of your laptop.

both have been tested through laptop wifi, and both perform fantastic, try both trials and decide.

22. trjam

trjam Registered Member

Mom safe, or easy and secure. Sig says it all.

23. JerryM

JerryM Registered Member

The AV Comparatives October test did not show prevx in a good light. I would hate to rely on it. I has been highly hyped, but the results did not back that up.

Jerry

24. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

In my opinion, they should have waited 1-2 days and see if it catched it. Did theyo_O? Because it's newer than av's, and relies on the community to catch it 1st.
    It wouldn't mean much maybe, but i would like to know how the automated research works.

Note: i don't contest the results!

25. Q Section

Q Section Registered Member

Headquarters - London & Field Offices -Worldwide
    Since NOD32 has virtually the lightest footprint and uses very few system resources and is the only Anti-Virus programme that has stopped all in-the-wild viruses since 1998, is user friendly and comes with powers and abilities in addition to merely anti-virus how could there be a better choice?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.