anyone know a good secure password and login name holder

Discussion in 'privacy technology' started by winterlord, Dec 1, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

anyone know of a good program that can auto fill passwords and such? sort opf like how norton internet security does it? but no norton. maybe a 3rd part program, or does comodo free firewall have one?

2. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

I would highly recommend roboform password manager! It is fantastic! it will remember every password, log for you, create passwords on any strength you can imagine.

You have to buy it to use all features, but its worth every dollar :)

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

I've tried KeePass and others and ALWAYS return to RoboForm. Best money ever spent on software.

4. Scoobs72

Scoobs72 Registered Member

Keepass is a good application (and free!) and I like the fact that it is completely separate from my browser. I've never felt comfortable with having my passwords accessable through my browser in the way Roboform works.

5. LockBox

6. Meriadoc

Meriadoc Registered Member

or Lastpass, very non intrusive, I use the Fx add-on.

7. Scoobs72

...but that doesn't really say anything. Once you unlock with the master password it is potentially game over if any malware that targets roboform can execute in your browser. In my opinion it is not a secure concept/approach and that's why I don't use it.

8. acuariano

acuariano Registered Member

hey guys have a question on roboform,,what happen when you clean passwords,cacheall that stuff in IE8 or firefox...roboform still remains active with passwords and logins on sites?

9. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

Roboform keeps your password encrypted on your harddrive. So if you clear you`re browser it wont affect roboform. I think roboform is just as secure as any other password manager. You can has it ask for your masterpassword at every login etc.

It is indeed a fantastic product! And yes it cost money. But it is woth every penny!

10. snowdrift

snowdrift Registered Member

I used to be a Roboform Pro supporter, but their Tech Support hassled me a lot the last time I needed a re-up from their activation server.

With Roboform, one is only granted a finite number of installs before the activation server shuts you out and denies your activation.

I bought three pro licenses three years ago. I am now considering the money lost -- in essence stolen -- and have moved to LastPass, which is free.

11. snowdrift

12. LockBox

Wait - timeout. It sounds like some of you don't know how RoboForm works.

The master password caches your key in memory - that's all. It does not mean all of your RoboForm .rfp files are now "in the clear" as in plain text. If something (someone?) took your .rfp files even after you've typed in your master key, they still will get an encrypted file. RoboForm only decrypts a password within the program itself - or on the fly when you go to click and submit the password at the correct url.

Anybody with RF can check this now. Go to your RoboForm and put in your master password. Open any .rfp file within the program and you'll see the username/password. Now, still with the master password active, go to your folder of RoboForm data and "Open With" Notepad. It's still encrypted.

Keepass is much more vulnerable since your much more vulnerable to exploits utilizing their technology versus that of RoboForm. Fearing something that is program-specific to execute in your browser is way more unlikely than an exploit that grabs your clipboard on-the-fly.

As for activation issues, I've never had problems and we're talking about security issues here. Actually, a client DID have trouble once, but an email to support was all it took. But back to the security issues...

13. winterlord

winterlord Registered Member

ok thanks guys for the info. sounds like good stuff.

14. Scoobs72

Actually I do know how it works and the reason I won't use is not the thought that somebody could grab the rpf file - of course that will still be encrypted. The reason I won't use it is that once you put that master password in there is a direct route from your browser through to the unencrypted passwords. An exploit that target the Roboform browser add-on could target these passwords.
    Has it happened? No, I don't think so. Is it conceptually a risk - Yes - and if it does happen the consequences for me would be devastating. I cannot afford to take the risk, even if it this stage it is just theoretical.

I can obtain a much higher level of security with Keepass by the fact:
    a: it is not integrated in my browser
    b: my HIPS read restricts the password file. Even if it is open nothing can read or copy it, including my browser.

15. Subgud

Subgud Registered Member

I have been in the same situasion. But for me support has been great! I have 3 licenses, and after testing out 131331313 different security programs just as many times I have been reinstalling windows many many times.

I also reach the activation limit many times. But I simply contactes support and pointed out that it was still my 1 computer and that I am testing software that makes me reinstall windows now and then. They have always given me exstra activations. I am very satisfied.

I think there are many opinions about which is the best. But in the end it comes down to which one that feels natural for you! :)

16. snowdrift

Good luck with Siber Systems. Your experience was the same as mine, until recently, with Nataly (aka "Natalie") over there. She balked at my need, made me jump through unnecessary hoops, and has no sense of customer support. Basically, they didn't believe my need was legit, in essence holding me as a liar.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.