Anyone here test driven 14.04 alternate install?

Discussion in 'all things UNIX' started by Palancar, Mar 18, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Palancar

Palancar Registered Member

I am in a place where I am planning on doing a full work-up on one of my computers. It is mandatory that it be full disk encrypted. I have used 12.04L in the past. I found the 12.04L installer missing some elements that would have made the installation a bit easier.

I have been reading around and notice that 14.04L is coming out in under a month. The beta is currently being tested and I thought maybe some of you guys/gals might already be trying it out. Just wondering if the installer is the same or if some different features might have been included?

I may download the beta-14.04L and install it on a spare 32 Gig flash to do my own testing. The members here have usually given good advice and share their experiences. Anybody using 14.04L? It is LTS so it'll have a 5 yr run.

2. Palancar

I pulled it down and will give it a look in the next day or so. Still, any input is welcome. I fully expect it to be a little "buggy" since its a beta.

3. x942

x942 Guest

Are you using the Alternate disk just for FDE? or other reasons too? I ask because FDE is now a checkbox in the default installer and has been since 13.04. 14.04 has it too, I just installed it in a VM.

It uses AES-256-XTS by default with a random key for swap on each boot. I find the normal installers are more stable then the alternate install disks.

4. Palancar

That is EXACTLY why I was going to try the alternate. You may have just saved my A@@ from a workout I don't need. LOL!!

The full disk encryption is NOT DMCrypt/LUKS as with the 12.04 alternate? I am going to read around but I am surprised that feature didn't popup as I was looking through several websites. Candidly, I did not look at the 14.04 regular install because my experience with 12.04 meant the alternate for FDE. The security/privacy implementation is very important to me. I will be moving /boot to a removable media so all sectors on the plate are encrypted. 14.04 regular will do that?? Simple encryption of home and swap is not going to cut it for my needs. I may not even run swap since I have 16GB Ram. I'll give it a look and then I will also build a test VM if it does what I think you are saying it will do. Let me know if I got it wrong -- please. Thanks for the heads up!!

5. Palancar

I see it does have LUKS -LVM. That is what I need.

6. Palancar

Update. I will be using 14.04 LTS when it comes out next month. For now I am going to build the machine with 13.10 because the upgrade to 14.04 is anticipated to be seamless. I have contacted several high time users that upgraded from 13.10 to 14.04 Alpha/beta and their experiences were perfect. Obviously 14.04 is not ready for 100% use yet. I may install the 14.04 beta to play with, but for this machine I need a working OS I can depend on.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.