Anyone here familiar with connecting to the internet via socks proxy?

Discussion in 'privacy problems' started by Socio, Mar 8, 2005.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Socio

Socio Registered Member

I am getting real frustrated because I can not figure out to connect to the internet via a socks proxy. I have tried using Putty and SocksCap I am able to login with either app to the server but can not connect to the internet via it in any way. I have tried with my firewall on and off so I know it has nothing to do with it. The extent of the instructions I was given via an e-mail from the service that I signed up with was:
    It seems to me once I am connected and logged in a tunnel should already be in place and internet connectivity usable. Apparently that is now how it works so if anyone is familiar with this please enlighten me.

I signed up for a socks proxy because it was supposed to be the easiest to setup and use, not so says me.

2. Down_Under

Down_Under Registered Member

3. LockBox

LockBox Registered Member

You should consider a cheap SSH account (they're practically giving them away now) and a program called, "Safe Passage."
    It's everything you need. Basically, it's your own personal anonymizer service. You connect via Safe Passage to an SSH account and surf away....
    http://vast-range.com/
    They even offer a full-blown three day trial of the package.

Let me know what you think.
    I find this concept very interesting.

4. Socio

Socio Registered Member

From what I have heard about safe passage it is actually nothing more than a fancy gui for Putty.

Socks for all intense and purposes is better than just a SSH connection anyway unless I am missing something although if I can never connect to it properly it is pretty useless.

5. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

Socio,

Are you starting your browser through Sockscap? You need to do this to "Socksify" its traffic. Alternatively, some browsers (e.g. Firefox) can connect to a Socks proxy directly.

6. Socio

Socio Registered Member

Yes, I even tried it with Outpost shut down still can't connect to the internet, I may just switch form SOCKs to SSH tunnel instead, it will be slower but should be les problematic.

7. Paranoid2000

Paranoid2000 Registered Member

What does SocksCap's log report?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.