Anyone have experience with Sony E Readers?

Discussion in 'hardware' started by Judge Dee, Mar 11, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I love to read, and have hundreds of non-copyrighted
    PDFs on my computer. I would like to put them on something that I can take with me travelling.
    I looked into net books, but would like something that has a longer shelf life than 2/3 years.
    I also cannot tell from reading whether I can just download PDFs from my computer, or do they have to be purchased books?
    Do E Readers fit the bill?

Thanks.

2. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

I cannot tell you much about the Sony e-readers. But I believe it's not the best moment to make a decision unless you need it immediately. If you have time to wait...wait. New Samsung e-readers are coming in the stores really soon and of course the new Asus e-reader.

Most e-readers will let you read any pdf file you have ( purchased or not ) and yes they'll let you download them from your pc.

3. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

That's very important info, Nolos. It should make a big difference.
    And I'm glad to know I can use my Pdfs.
    Thank you!

4. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

You're welcome! :thumb:

5. michalcz

michalcz Registered Member

Just saw that this post and thought I register and answer. :)
    If you are really only after an E-Reader which you can use to substitute a book and especially to bring on travels, I would recommend a Kindle or a Kindle DX. The problem with the new E-Readers coming out (including the Samsung E60) is that they are quite heavy due to the fact that there is more and more funtionality in a smaller and smaller device. Therefore, yes, if you want to have a lot of functions ready and basically need a computer, wait or buy yourself and IPad, if you just want to read (like 90% of the people want), buy yourself a Kindle or a Nook. Personally I would go for the Kindle, as 3G is included, book store is huge and it works like a charm. As for the Sony E-Reader, read the reviews and then decide for yourself! :) There are actually quite a lot of people not 100% happy with it...
    http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&safe=on&q=SONY e-reader reviews

6. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Just a thought. If you have a lap top, why couldn't you put your pdf book on a thumb drive, and just plug it into the usb port and read your book. :)

7. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

Well thanks, michalcz, for registering to answer my question. Welcome to Wilders. :)
    Heaviness is definitely an issue for me. I'd like to have something easy to carry to restaurants, etc. I'll do some research on the Kindle. I don't like that glare issue with the Sony mentioned in your link.
    Which is why, twl845, I'm trying to find an alternative to laptops. I appreciate your thought, though.
    :thumb:

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

9. NoIos

NoIos Registered Member

If you love reading then you should forget any other solution than a true e-reader, which has an e-ink display. Any other solution is scientifically not good for reading. So forget Ipad and any other tablet with lcd display.

Now about the weight. I'm surprised that michalcz suggests Kindle and Kindle DX when makes his main point the weight. How can you suggest these two products weight wise when the one is twice heavier. The Kindle DX is 18.6 ounches and the Kindle 2 is 9.6.

Although I have not found somewhere, not even in the official announcement by samsung http://www.samsungusanews.com/2010/...-of-highly-anticipated-ereader-for-us-market/ , the weight for the E6, the first model of the Samsung e-readers that are coming this spring, michalcz declares it heavier. So I'd like to hear his source about the issue. I'm honestly interested.

Samsung has also signed a partnership with B&N, so I don't know if buying Nook is still that appealing.

In any case, in my previous posts I have invited you to wait at least a few weeks. Having more products to select from is definetely an advantage for the consumer.

At the end I repeat, use e-ink display for reading. LCDs are a no go for reading.

10. Judge Dee

Judge Dee Guest

I looked at a Sony in a store and you're right, the e-ink makes a huge difference.
    I'm definitely going to follow your advice and wait. It (usually) helps to have more choices.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.