anyone get this from AVG?

Discussion in 'other anti-virus software' started by robinb, Dec 13, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. robinb

robinb Registered Member

Let us inform you, your current AVG Anti-Spyware (1 computer) product will not be updated after December 31st 2008.

AVG (ewido) Anti-Spyware Professional has been replaced by AVG Internet Security 8.0, so it’s vital that you upgrade to stay safe. The upgrade is free of charge.

I think this reads- if you have AVG 8.0 with antispyware it will no longer be supported after dec 31 2008 and if you want to keep the product they are offering a free upgrade to their internet security program?

I got this via email and so did a bunch of my clients. what gives? why are they discontinuing AVG antispyware 8.0?

If someone from Grisoft reads this can you please explaino_O?

robin

2. steve1955

steve1955 Registered Member

Its pretty easy to understand:-they are incorperating it into a suite,prob been on the cards since the took over ewido(or was it other way round?):-that was probably the goal when companies combined:-one product covering all(??)threats

3. lodore

lodore Registered Member

surely it means avg antispyware that used to be ewido 4 is going to be discontinued. I thought this was discussed on the forum before?

if so that is a great deal.
    if you only want the av+as features then just do a custom install for your clients.

4. Firecat

Firecat Registered Member

Firstly, there is no AVG 8.0 Anti-Spyware only edition. The last AVG AS version was 7.5. Secondly, this email states that all updates for version 7.5 will be discontinued from December 31, 2008, and since there is no AVG Anti-spyware released in the 8.0 product line - it means that AVG Anti-Spyware will not receive any more updates after that.

It is interesting that AVG now wishes to give the AVG AS users an Internet Security license....Earlier I believe they were offering them upgrades to AVG 8 Professional edition rather than the suite.

AVG Antispyware was the old Ewido product - now that Grisoft purchased their company, Ewido's technology became integrated into AVG 8.0's engine. In theory AVG can still make an Antispyware product, but it has chosen not to as it sees a non-viable market for that kind of product.

5. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

I got the email too.

It basically just confirms the fact which I've known for quite some time now. Signature updates to AVG A-S 7.5 (old ewido, may you rest in peace) will cease at the end of the year.

Their latest approach (to offer autom. upgrade to IS with extended license period) is more than generous.

I already use suite from another manufacturer, which poses a interesting dilemma :) ditch it after license period ends and try AVG suite?

6. robinb

robinb Registered Member

I know avg 7.5 is expiring but the email doesn't say it is 7.5 that is expiring.
    I have AVG 8.0 Pro Antivirus and also on another machine avg 8.0 Pro with firewall. Does this mean my two avg 8.0 is going to be discontinued and i will be forced to go to the suite?
    On their website they are still selling AVG 8.0 Virus and AVG 8.0 with Firewall.
    This is what i do not get.
    robin

7. robinb

robinb Registered Member

well i just called the company to find out what the heck they meant.
    It is the old Avg Antispyware Pro (the ewido one) that is expiring which I knew already Dec 31, 2008 not the AVG 8.0 Pro antivirus nor the avg 8.0 pro with firewall.

They really should have been more clear in their email.

robin

8. EliteKiller

EliteKiller Registered Member

IMO the email was quite clear, and this issue was discussed earlier this year (Feb?) not only in this forum but also the (Wilders) Ewido forum as well. AVG also has a FAQ section on their website. The only thing I see different is initially AVG offered Anti-spyware pro users a free upg. to AV 8.0, and now they've changed it to IS 8.0

9. lordpake

lordpake Registered Member

Excerpt from my mail:
    In my case at least the email is very clear about the product in question.

10. robinb

robinb Registered Member

the funniest thing in this whole thing is that about 6mths ago i received a different letter stating that the AVG antispyware program was being discontinued and I was offered the avg 8.0 Virus Pro to replace it- which I did.

And and received another email telling me my avg 7.5 with firewall was also being replaced with avg 8.0 with firewall and where to download and pick it up.

so when i now got this email that is basically what confused me because i already did it and their records should have reflected this.

robin

11. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Robin :)

Now I'm Really Confused o_O

I had an email about 2 weeks ago - AVG Support

After having quite a few dodgy emails in the last 12 months..
    I've gotten a bit paranoid about opening unexpected emails.
    I kept the email for a week - Waiting to see if anyone else had received one.
    Then when a man on another forum, said he'd had an email from AVG .. Offering Him - AVG 2009
    I Panicked ... And Deleted it! :oops:

I'm now thinking the email was probably the same one as you've had :rolleyes:

I've Got...
    AVG 8 - Anti-Virus .. With - Anti-Spyware ( Paid Version )

NO - Firewall

I didn't go for the full AVG 8 - Suite
    Because I had read in a magazine, that the AVG 8 - Firewall .. Was hard to understand.

Now I'm really confused and upset :oops:
    Does this mean everyone with.. AVG 8 - Anti-Virus & Anti-Spyware ( Paid! ) .. Is going to have to uninstall it?
    I don't want the AVG 8 - Firewall :mad:
    I'm happy with what I've got.

31 Dec ... What a great time to do this to people :mad:
    Christmas / New Year

To Top It All Off... I'm really ill at the moment.
    I don't need all this hassle :'(

If This Is All True... I don't know what I'm going to do :(

Thanks! ;)

12. robinb

robinb Registered Member

As I said before and i believe just their records are messed up especially for those who already did the update months ago like myself, I called the company and they told me this is only for AVG Antispyware Pro which was Ewido before it became AVG Antispyware Pro. It is NOT AVG 8.0 Pro with antivirus (even though it has antispyware in it) or AVG 8.0 Pro with Firewall.

robin

13. Zeena

Zeena Registered Member

Hi Robin :)

Fingers Crossed! ... We're OK Then :cool:

Thanks! ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.