Anyone get Skype working on Windows 8?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by DVD+R, Jan 23, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Has anyone actually managed to download the Skype App in Windows 8, and merge their Windows Live Account so that their Windows Live Contacts show up in the Skype Metro App? I can log into my Microsoft Account, but it says, you have no contacts, but does not give me any way of Adding them?> Also Skype for Windows 8 desktop crashes when you restart or shutdown the PC. I've tried in vain to get through to the support people at Skype, but apparently just one person is answering all the questions, some dude by the name of Tamin, who really has no clue, all he can suggest is uninstalling my sound card, or Anti-Virus, or basically everything else apart from Skype. What does he take us for? who the hell is going to do that ****! of course Microsoft doesn't care anymore, Were stuck with limited English speaking people on a Skype support forum that cant give an answer. China is the only Country that will still be able to use Windows Live once it's merged fully to Skype in March 15th this year. I think I'll download a Chinese Windows Live and change the language, and see if it works! :ninja:

2. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

Does Skype work fine if run from Desktop? Is any other metro app crashing similarly? What security software is in use? When you say Windows Live are you using Outlook.com? Contacts there are displayed under People

3. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Cudni, I think you misunderstood, I said Skype for desktop crashes when shutting down or restarting the pc, not the App. Apps are working fine, when I restart my pc or shut it down a popup message says something about the memory not being read (Skype desktop) and to click ok to terminate the program. Above that a Windows 8 message says This program is preventing you from restarting > Skype. The Skype Forum guy has repeatedly insisted disabling uPnP from Advanced connections will fix the problem (It does not) The next solution is to uninstall my sound card (I most certainly will not!) There are approximately thousands of complaints relating to the same problem and more on the Skype forums, and emailing them results in an answer of Sorry your having problems. I've looked everywhere to find a way of contacting the Windows Live Team to see if they can help

p.s only security software on this pc right now is Windows Defender

4. Fuzzfas

Fuzzfas Registered Member

Do they actually PAY him to propose such garbage as "support"? :eek:

5. Cudni

Cudni Global Moderator

If you manually quit Skype before shutting down, does the issue persist?

6. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

More than likely, a small amount I guess as he's from Bangladesh ( nothing against people from Bangladesh) but....This one hasen't a bloody clue! Why not use a certified Microsoft Support team person/ seeing as Microsoft have purchased, and are quite pressing for you to use Skype. There's a highlighted message right now in my Windows Live Messenger which says there's a new version of Messenger available, and do I wish to get it now. If I click yes, Skype 6.1 starts to download :blink:

7. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Don't know, didn't try it, It defeats the object in question, I never had to do that with Windows Live Messenger, so why should I have to change the habit of a lifetime, just to please Skype

8. DVD+R

DVD+R Registered Member

Updating on Skype on Windows 8: The situation mentioned in post #1 still has no solution, and continues to be a problem, However the Genius Forum Guru's have come up with another Gem of a solution, This time they want me to check the temperature of my Graphics Card :doubt: Who in the Hell chose these people to be of an Advisory in these Forums :doubt:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.