Anyone Experiencing Crashes with Sunbelt's Kerio Firewall?

Discussion in 'other firewalls' started by Zom17, Sep 1, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I am shooting in the dark here. My rig is only 4 months old and here are the specs:

EPoX 9NPA+Ultra mobo
    Athlon 64 3200+ Venice
    Crucial Ballistix PC3200 (2 Gigs)
    connect3D X800 GTO 256mb with latest driver
    Seagate 250 gig SATA w/8mb cache
    Antec TP 2.0 550W
    Lite-On 16x DVD (2)
    M-Audio Revolution 5.1 sound card with latest and final driver
    Windows XP Professional with SP2
    Logitech MX310 Mouse with latest driver

When I first built this rig I was experiencing a number of NOT_EQUAL_TO blah, blah, blah system error that would then dump physical memory. This occurance has been considerably less often but it still occurs. Any time it occurs a window pops up and asks if I think Kerio Firewall might have caused the problem. So I build a report but when I go to upload it never is able to upload to their server, which is another issue.

I have done extensive research and I have come to discover that Logitech Optical mice such as my MX310 didn't play nice with a certain XP kernel, but I have downloded the latest driver for which should have taken care of the problem. Some have suggested it could be M-Audio's sound driver not doing well with the nForce chipset.

I just don't know. Thus, as I said, I'm shooting in the dark and asking if anyone has experinced issues with Kerio. Thanks.

2. duke1959

duke1959 Very Frequent Poster

I just want to let you know that I had a different problem with the latest version of Sunbelt Kerio Personal Firewall, and uninstalled it for an older version 4.2.3 which is the one right after Sunbelt bought the Kerio Firewall, and it worked fine. Also i believe Sunbelt is aware of the problems some people are having. Not sure this helps, but as I said 4.2.3 worked fine. I now use the latest version of the Comodo Firewall however, and love it. I did like the SKPF though, especially it's Application Behavior Blocking Feature.

3. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

Duke, thanks for the quick reply. I have the older version; haven't upgraded to the latest. I just can't figure out if it is this Firewall or my mouse or sound card drivers that are causing the IRQL_NOT_LESS_THAN_EQUAL.

4. duke1959

Zom17. I had a crash using ZA Free 6.1.744 Firewall which was considered one of the most stable versions, after I installed AOL AVS Antivirus. The reason I mention this is that sometimes it seems that certain softwares just don't mix. Which older version are you using? I used the Kerio version 4.2.2 without any troubles before trying SKPF 4.2.3, but was told in the Forums that some people did have problems with 4.2.3 after Sunbelt took over and did a simple rebranding of it. There didn't seem to be any difference in the two other than the Sunbelt name, but who knows? Anyway, are you a hard core SKPF user, or would you maybe give Comodo Firewall try? I'm not pushing it on you, but it is working great on my Windows XP System with AOL AVS Antivirus, and only 512MB of RAM. Like I said I liked SKPF, but Comodo is truly an excellent Firewall, and has great support in their Forums. I just installed it today,and people there have already responed to a few minor questions I had. It has constantly been improved as well, and this will no doubt continue. Again I mean no offense to your preference of using SKPF, and I hope you get this straightened out, but I sincerelly believe you would like Comodo. At least take a look on their website, and read their ForuIam not putting down SKPF.

5. Zom17

Zom17 Registered Member

I'm no fan boy of Sunbelt's firewall. This Comodo you speak of, is it user friendly? I love my NOD32 antivirus but if it wasn't for the online picture by picture instructions to set it up I would be in the insane asylum now! :D Of everything I researched putting my brand new rig together the greatest divergent of opinions believe it or not was firewalls. Why do you like the

My current KFP is the 4.2.2. Like I said, I'm no fan boy, so is there any cost?

6. duke1959

Hey Zom17, I like Comodo Firewall because it is easy to understand, has a learning mode that is automatically set for you upon installation, has a scan feature for finding known applications that will cut down some of the allow/deny pop ups like I know you experienced with Kerio, and it passes more leak tests than Kerio. (all of them as a matter of fact) I also like it because it doesn't include features I can't use like the free version of Kerio does. It is only using around 12MB of RAM as I'm typing this, and doesn't slow down my PC. Finally the Forum is very helpful and friendly. Look on the Comodo Website and read about it. I believe this will help you make a decision, and I can tell you first hand that everything it claims about the Firewall is true. Kerio is considered harder to understand than some other Firewalls so I doubt you'll have any problems understanding Comodo. Even if you do, there are people here, me included, and especially in the Comodo Forums that will be happy to answer any questions you may have. I know how you feel about uninstalling Kerio, but I have used Look N Stop Firewall, ZA Free, Kerio, and one other less known Firewall, and this is by far my favorite. Again, even if for some reason you would have a problem it would be handled very quickly with help from their Forum. Take care, and let me know what you do.

7. neonSurge

neonSurge Registered Member

I can say that NOD32 + COMODO is the best bundle together. Both are light in system resources and both are the most robust ones in their cathegories.

Good luck,

J

8. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

Neonsurge - I am firewall illiterate. I have been using Zonealarm since I went broadband, and as you know it runs itself. I am coming to the end of my subscription at ZA and have been agonizing over Comodo ever since I learned it exists. I don't know anything about making rules and the like even though I've read some of Comodos tutorials. My ignorance runs too deep to put all the configuration stuff IP address inserting, outbound, inbound, remote etc. together in my head with out starting at page one learning from the beginning. My question is this. Can I install Comodo and let it set itself up after which, just give me pop ups to accept or deny my programs and attempts for my apps to access the web etc. just like ZA? I don't want to install it and stare at it without a clue as to how to get it started. I thank you in advance for any comforting info you can possibly give me.:D

9. ccsito

ccsito Registered Member

10. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

CCSITO, Thanks for the help. I'll check it out.

11. booglywoogly

booglywoogly Registered Member

I experienced BSOD with Kerio FW before. I uninstalled it and didn't use it again until I had to buy a new hard drive (separate issue!). When I installed it on the new HDD it worked fine (there must have been a conflict with another app on the old HDD) and then I realised the toll it took on my bandwidth!! :eek: I am on 24MB (ADSL 2+) and I was getting about 500K dl. I wasn't happy so uninstalled it straight away and now I use Comodo and there is no impact on my bandwidth. The footprint right now (I have been using it for a few weeks) is about 23MB RAM.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2006
  12. farmerlee

farmerlee Registered Member

I recently installed sunbelt kerio personal firewall on a friends computer, so far its been running great. I installed it alongside CA's new etrust antivirus v8. Theres been no problems whatsoever.

13. Caine

Caine Registered Member

I am another SKPF user that's been plagued with the BSOD as a REGULAR occurence since I installed 4.3.268. I have no prior experience with Kerio so I can't say if a previous version works on, or conflicts with my machine because I used Sygate until I installed this FW.

I'm going to give that Comodo a try but would appreciate any advice on making a completely clean uninstall of Kerio. By that I mean, what files/folders/reg entries do I need to remove after the standard add/remove programs?

btw, is it normal when the trial period runs out, that the free version doesn't start without user intervention ie:start>programs>sunbelt software>personal firewall>start firewall?

14. twl845

twl845 Registered Member

I installed Comodo about a week ago, and all my concerns about getting set up were unfounded. Comodo installed seamlessly and after 2 options were put in place I was done. It runs great with no intervention from me except the occasional pop up asking for an allow or not. It's light on it's feet and makes my computer respond faster.:D

15. bugsy_pal

bugsy_pal Registered Member

I used Kerio 4 for a couple of years. It was good, but I did get the occasional BSOD, which was linked to "fwdrv.sys", a known problem. I am trying out other solutions now...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.