Anyone ever try Jetclean?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by quadrophonic, Dec 2, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. quadrophonic

quadrophonic Registered Member

I've always used CCleaner to clean all the extraneous junk out of my system and browsers but I've read about Jetclean so I decided to look into it. The website is:

-http://www.bluesprig.com/jetclean.html-

I extracted the setup installer without installing the software and my antennae went up as soon as I saw the {tmp} file. Inside it are two toolbar executables:

bluesprigToolbar-stub-1.exe
    ToolbarAcceptRate.exe

There's also an itdownload.dll in there and that usually means more adware. Has anyone installed this program, or monitored the installation with a good uninstaller, and is there an opt out feature?

The program has been mentioned in a few threads on Wilders and is also listed in the Best Free Security List on Techsupportalert.com

https://www.techsupportalert.com/long-list.htm/Probably the Best Free Security List in the World

I would just run it as a portable by using the extracted app folder, but I'm not sure which files in there are for a 64 bit OS.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 2, 2013
  2. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

I just started using JC about 45 days ago. I like it.

There is an option to create JC portable under Tools. So I guess you could install, create portable version & then uninstall.

Just so you know & as a frame of reference. I believe CC when spelled out is the most aptly named piece of software (POS) ever!

Whenever a PC passes through my hands either for resale, repair or personal use. And if find CC on it I uninstall it before RealPlayer or McAfee.

3. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

@zapjb - What's wrong with CCleaner? o_O

4. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

The only way I would use cc is if I was forced to choose between cc & system mechanic. And neither wasn't an option.

The reports of OSs borked by cc has slowed but not stopped. I'm thinking they can't get on line so you don't hear about them as much. :D

But do what you'd like. I guess this is a very big YMMV situation. But I will take this opportunity to slam SM. :p

5. quadrophonic

I'm not looking to install it. I'm wondering if it can be run without installing as I've extracted the app folder.

Zapjb, you may have written the first post I've seen that criticizes CCleaner.
    I've run it for years, and I've used the more intense Winapp file for the last several years and never had a problem. Ccleaner also has one of the lightest
    registry cleaners. I'm going to guess that the users who told you they had problems with it probably deleted registry items that they weren't aware of.
    I always tell friends that if you don't understand your registry, don't delete registry items, or research what you clean.

What I'm trying to find out is if Jetclean loads toolbars without your knowledge. Short of running Hijackthis, if you have a good registry scanner (Nirsoft's will do), do a search for Bluesprig, and see if there are references to their toolbar in your registry.

I'm surprised that no one has commented on those toolbar files in their setup package that I mentioned in the first post.

6. WSFuser

WSFuser Registered Member

Lots of programs include toolbars in their installers nowadays (not I that I agree with it though). They do however let you uncheck them during install (you might have to select the Custom or Advanced option first). I don't think Jetclean would be different but who knows.

7. quadrophonic

There should be mention of toolbars or adware somewhere on the site. The Bluesprig site has little information about the program. The FAQ's are vague,
    and there's no forum. Even their Softpedia review doesn't mention anything about toolbars.

Guess what! There's a video on Youtube entitled "Don't Install JetClean Software Before Watching This Video". This was the last place I thought to look! It appears that there is an opt out feature. You need to choose "decline" when installing.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-czvRDwohJ0&hd=1

Here's another one:

Revert Changes Made by JetClean Software Installation (Remove all Extensions, Toolbars )

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VfQ9J57MBMc&hd=1

I just checked the iss install script file in the setup package and noticed the following lines:

Whenever I see those opt out screens that allow you to decline the adware, I still check my uninstaller report after monitoring the install to see if any registry strings were added.

8. zapjb

zapjb Registered Member

9. aztony

aztony Registered Member

I tried out JetClean maybe a couple years ago, and it worked fine. But I've since settled on SlimCleaner as permanent addition for my systems along with Ccleaner. Honestly, I don't remember if JetClean tried to install a toolbar then, or not. But if you are worried bout crapware getting installed with the program you need, get -http://www.unchecky.com/-

I too am surprised at the criticism leveled at Ccleaner for messing up PCs. Of all the junk cleaners I have tried Ccleaner is mildest one I've used to date. Usually that is the criticism one is prone to see, that Ccleaner doesn't cleanup as much, or is as aggressive as some people would like it to be.

10. SweX

SweX Registered Member

We don't have a "joke of the day" section at Wilders yet ;)

11. quadrophonic

I just tried downloading Unchecky and Avast blocked the download with this warning:

URL: hxxp://unchecky.com/files/unchecky_setup.exe
    Infection: Win32:Evo-gen [Susp]

I'm not sure if I can post the Virustotal link I found, but Ghacks has one here at the bottom of the page that was scanned yesterday (see the comments section):

http://www.ghacks.net/2013/11/27/un...ed-third-party-offers-software-installations/

Once again, Unchecky.com is another site with little information about the software author. A good way of checking the veracity of a program is to see the links shared by the IP address(es):

https://www.robtex.com/dns/unchecky.com.html#shared

The Virutotal results could be false positives, but there's so little information about the program that until I see more reviews, and can extract the setup package, I'll pass on it.

12. aztony

aztony Registered Member

When I downloaded Unchecky I saved the installer file and scanned it with Panda before running the installer. Panda didn't flag it, nor did MBAM which I use on demand. But it's up to you whether you download it or not. If you're not comfortable at this point don't.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.