anyone ever dealt with alpha antivirus

Discussion in 'malware problems & news' started by zfactor, Nov 23, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. zfactor

zfactor Registered Member

and know an easy way to remove it..

also is it known to create a fake bsod screen? someone i know said they have this one their system and it pops up and asks them to update it and when they click no they get a blue screen and the system shuts down... they said the pop up is alpha antivirus. but would that cause a fake bsod scren or is it really affecting vista causing it. ill have the system in my hands tomm and hopefully i can help her out with this but any advice from anyone who has had to remove it before would be a great place to start.

does combofix work on this? or i saw a tool called removefakeantivirus also that claims to remove it but i have not used that one. and any thoughts about smitfraudfix for this one??

thank you in advance

2. Bob D

Bob D Registered Member

3. ASpace

ASpace Guest

The product you probably use (~your avatar~) should detect and remove it. This is a very new variant released max. 3-4 days ago. At the beginning it was detected and destroyed by SONAR2 , now detected and removed by Auto-Protect (signatures) and Download Insight.

alphaav.png

Additionally , Malwarebytes AM (run renamed and updated) and ComboFix should help . Use ComboFix with caution and only if necessary!!!

4. zfactor

thanks for all the info. the thing that worries me is if the bsod's atre fake or not though. i assume they are not right now though

5. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

6. Franklin

Franklin Registered Member

Grabbed the latest installer for Alpha AV and going to folder options - show extentions then renaming mbam.exe to mbam.com allows mbam to perform a quick scan and delete the rogue.

After a reboot to get rid of the rogue rename mbam.com back to mbam.exe.

Alpha.jpg

7. zfactor

lol so yeah WAYYYYYYYY fake bsod messages hahahahahahahahaha

it gives a bsod message about a fatal exception due to a unregistered version of alpha. and it kills the ati drivers also!! blocks me from opening ccc control center. wow a nasty little bugger..even has its own vista startup screen that under the welcome screen has a message about alpha being unregistered...

removing it now shouldnt be a huge deal hopefully

edit hmm mbam only found 5 things and none looked to be part of alpha....

wow so far NOTHING will kill this. i have tried mbam and yes renamed, every tool i can find for it, norton, avira free, dr web cure it, super anti spyware etc nothing will kill it. everything says it did but upon reboot there it still is.. arghhhh

Last edited: Nov 24, 2009
  8. nosirrah

nosirrah Malware Fighter

Make sure to update before you scan , the most recent version of Alpha AV came out after the last program update so the integrated defs wont catch it .

If you are still having trouble removing this PM me at malwarebytes.org (I a nosirrah there as well) and will get this fixed for you .

9. zfactor

yeah fixed it what was wierd is i updated and it said it was done.. then it would not remove it... i rebooted and clicked update again and it loaded another update and this time it worked.. THANK YOU!!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.