Anyone else have their hotmail hacked recently?

Discussion in 'other software & services' started by acr1965, Oct 3, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. acr1965

acr1965 Registered Member

I received a notice via Trillian that I had a new email message on hotmail (live.com) so I head there to check it out. Upon arrival at my inbox I see I have an email "returned" as not being able to be delivered. The email is to someone in my contacts list. I opened the email to see that it was a solicitation apparently from my email address asking someone else to go visit a site with some computer deals. As I was looking at the email it disappeared from my inbox. I then checked my "sent" messages folder and noticed that all my sent messages had been deleted. Upon further investigation I noticed that all but one person from my "contacts" folder had been deleted. The junk and trash folders are also empty.

I then noticed that I was unable to sign out of my hotmail account. That's most likely because I have 3rd party cookies blocked in Google Chrome. I unselected the "block 3rd party cookies" option in Chrome and was able to sign out of hotmail. I have since then changed my password.

I have scanned my computer regularly and found no malware (Hitman Pro, Prevx paid, MBAM, Avast, Eset scanner and SAS scanner- no infections found). There were some flash cookies that I had to delete though. And going back to the lone contact left in my contacts folder, I have some suspicions about that too.

Here is a pic of the Chrome / hotmail issue. Perhaps Chrome will update this issue in its next build. I love Chrome's speed but these releases are ticking me off.

It was just weird seeing all this happen while I was logged into my hotmail and it all happening right before my eyes.

Attached Files:

• live.jpg
      live.jpg
      File size:
      125.2 KB
      Views:
  2. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Uh, right. You mean to say that this is Chrome's fault, and there are other browsers that will let you sign out of Hotmail if you block 3rd-party cookies?

If the Hotmail servers really got hacked, it'd be all over the news by now, because it's an extremely non-trivial feat. This sounds like either a bug on Hotmail's end, or - more likely - a PEBKAC problem.

3. acr1965

Uh, yes. Try IE. Then try Firefox. Third party cookies are blocked in each and I'm allowed to sign out of live mail. In FF, there's a message that I'm unable to sign out because cookies are blocked. But when I try to navigate back to my live mail I am shown as signed out. So for IE, yes blocking 3rd party cookies will allow a person to sign out of their live mail (aka hotmail). In FF, a person is effectively signed out even with 3rd party cookies blocked, despite a notice by MS to the contrary.

A bug on Hotmail's end that sends out junk mail from user accounts and deletes contacts, sent mail and mail in inboxes? I must have just imagined the entire thing. Maybe you are a PITA POS problem?

4. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Exact same behavior with Chrome. Your point being?

Given your Chrome "problems", looks like it's not the only thing you're imagining.

5. acr1965

Nope. In Chrome it was different and not possible to sign out short of re-starting the browser. Unless I re-started Chrome, I was able to navigate back to my email folder from the "unable to sign out" page and still be signed in or leave hotmail entirely and come back later and still be signed in. Different story with FF.

6. BoerenkoolMetWorst

BoerenkoolMetWorst Registered Member

With FF I'm also getting the "unable to sign out" page, but when I go to my mail again without restarting FF I do need to re-enter my password(Maybe this makes a difference: I don't check remember my PW when signing in.)

7. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Try it with a clean profile.

I'd make a video showing the exact same behavior in Chrome as with Firefox, but that'll have to wait until I get home.

8. acr1965

Be sure and add IE8 in your video.

9. m00nbl00d

m00nbl00d Registered Member

A lot people got their windows live mail / hotmail accounts hacked. For what I know, these same people also got their facebook accounts hacked.

I haven't read it all. I saw it a local computing forum.

They kept getting the same error message everytime they tried to login to their e-mail account, saying that either username or password was wrong. Even trying to recover password wouldn't let them have the accounts back.

Microsoft already placed a note at the website/support forum for windows live mail, or something like that. Hackers got into their (Microsoft) servers, and most likely to use those e-mail accounts to spam.

-Edit-

Microsoft is in the process of trying to restore the accounts to their legitimate owners, if they manage to prove the accounts are theirs.

-Edit-

This is the error msg: Windows Live ID Error: 80048823

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  10. m00nbl00d

-Edit-

If I were you, I'd change the password, if you're able to do it. Also, windows live mail has a new security feature that allows you to define your current computer as being the legitimate one.

11. m00nbl00d

It seems you alreayd did it. :)

12. CloneRanger

CloneRanger Registered Member

If Hotmail has been hacked at MS's servers then this should be ALL over the mainstream media, not just a few forums etc.

Very strange why it isn't :mad:

13. m00nbl00d

14. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Sorry, but getting infected by password-stealer trojans, being dumb enough to fall for phishing scams and give their own credentials away, and/or simply forgetting to log out from shared computers doesn't count as being "hacked".

15. m00nbl00d

You didn't read it, did you?

Microsoft stated, previously, at the windowslivehelp site that Microsoft servers had been hacked. Not people's computers, or whatever. Microsoft's own servers.

If Microsoft said it, who am I to say otherwise? They sure know it 100% better than myself.

16. Eice

Eice Registered Member

I don't speak Brazilian, so I don't know about the original article, but nowhere in the translated version you posted do I see Microsoft stating that Hotmail servers were hacked.

I'm not saying Hotmail has never been hacked. They have, years ago, and the incidents were widely reported and publicized because - like I said - they were newsworthy, non-trivial feats. You're the one getting confused here by thinking that just because there's a precedent, it means that Hotmail servers being broken into are a common occurrence.

17. m00nbl00d

No, I mean't you havent read what I wrote before. Microsoft stated, at their windowslivehelp page that their servers were hacked. If the same information is still there or not, it beats me and I don't truly care about it. But, when I saw that information, at a local computing forum, I went to the link and saw it. It was there. Period. Microsoft sure had their reasons to admit their servers got hacked. If it's still there or not, as I said, I don't care.

Confused with what? If anyone's getting confused is Microsoft. Because, either they were hacked, because they said it so. Or, they weren't, and they're becoming senile people. Who cares. I surely don't.

I just mentioned what I knew what Microsoft reported. Nothing more, nothing less. End of story.

18. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Gee, that's certainly convenient, isn't it. :rolleyes:

Given your complete lack of ability to back up your claims, "not caring" about it is probably the only option you have anyway.

19. m00nbl00d

Useless discussion.

You want to know what happened? Get in touch with damn Microsoft. Ask them. I guess you'll believe them.

20. acr1965

Yes it is a useless discussion. Eice is an idiot looking to start something. I simply asked if anyone else got their hotmail hacked recently and he jumps in with nothing but BS. Dude needs to get a life.

21. acr1965

Be sure and let us know when you get that FF and IE8 video up and going. Hell, you're probably working like mad to prove your 3rd party cookie theory...

22. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Gosh, a discussion in which you bring in unverified claims that you never intended to back up with facts is useless? Who'd have thought, ey?

"Working like mad"? Oh, you're killing me. :D

No prizes for guessing who's the one spouting the BS here, sorry.

http://www.mediafire.com/?85czj4ll65a0dj8

23. m00nbl00d

Unable to back it up? WTH? I already have placed one link here. You came with the crap not knowing Brazilian. First, there is no such thing as Brazilian. Only Portuguese language.

Secondly, I gave you a translated version by Google Translator, which is a pretty decent translation.

In that page you may read:

Microsoft confirms it.

One more confirmation found here:

http://translate.google.com/transla...content/view/8246/1/&sl=pt&tl=en&hl=&ie=UTF-8

You seem to be the one lacking hability to backup that their servers weren't hacked.

Can you prove it?

I'm giving evidences that Microsoft clearly states what happened. You don't believe it, back it up then. If you can't, then don't call other people liers.

24. Eice

Eice Registered Member

Stop twisting your stories whenever it suits you. In post #17, in response to my question, you claimed that the evidence wasn't in the link you posted, but what you read from the Windows Live Help page, and you supposedly "don't care". Now you do a complete about turn and assert that the evidence IS in the link you posted. Which is it?

No, I can't. Except that I never stated conclusively that they weren't hacked. All I said that given the circumstances and based on your information, it's extremely unlikely that both Hotmail AND Facebook got hacked and all major tech sites were silent about it even after Microsoft allegedly confirms it, while - on the other hand - it's extremely likely that affected users lost their login credentials via social engineering, malware infections, and PEBKAC issues, which typically account for the mass majority of hijacked accounts. Not to mention it isn't clear what "hacking" meant in the articles you posted, given the tendency of the press to use completely ridiculous definitions for that term. Please brush up on your comprehension, reading, and logic skills if you want to be something more than a total waste of time.

If you can't handle being called a liar, here's a suggestion: stop acting like one, and don't twist your stories around.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2010
  25. m00nbl00d

Dude, I only mentioned that also saw the same info, at the windowslivehelp page, when I first saw a link pointing to there. If the same information that was there is gone, then is because Microsoft believes users are aware. After, there are plenty complaints at the support forum regarding this very same issue.

Microsoft sure knows better than me the reasons to have taken the alert from there.

I NEVER said it was the only place I've seen it!

I truly I start to believe other folks are right about you. I never stated Facebook got hacked!
    I said that some of the windows live mail / hotmail users that lost their Facebook accounts as well. I guess they had both linked, with their e-mail, or whatever. I don't have none.

There is a difference between saying some Facebook users lost their accounts, at the same time they lost their windows live /hotmail accounts, and saying Facebook got hacked.

I already advised you to contact with Microsoft and ask them what happened. Do it, don't do it. Who gives a crap.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.