Anybody ran PrevX Edge against the Comodo test?

Discussion in 'other anti-malware software' started by Rivalen, Nov 25, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Rivalen

Rivalen Registered Member

I only run trial version, but maybe someone who has payed version could check what Edge can do.

Maybe PrevXHelp can do the test themselves and report back here?

Best Regards

2. trjam

trjam Registered Member

and what will that tell you? That the product is good or bad, or the test.;)

3. Rivalen

Well, you tell me.

On Line Armor faired well and I have only heard that 2 out of 34 where doubted, but what do I know. Comodo itself I am not interested in. It popups to make a guy crazy and slows down surfing to - for me at last. Tried it over a year ago.

If someone ran Edge against it and Edge failed too much I guess EdgeHelp would explain if its the test or their software or both that need to be adjusted.

Best Regards

4. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

It will fail, since it's a test. Prevx and Threatfire are programs made to detect malicious software. They're not tripwires.

5. rolarocka

rolarocka Guest

That test is good for "classic" hips not behaviour blockers.

6. PrevxHelp

PrevxHelp Former Prevx Moderator

This is correct, and reflects our stance on leaktests. We block real malicious software employing the techniques outlined by leaktests but not leaktests by themselves as they exhibit no where near the same behavior as real malware.

7. Rivalen

So where is Edge tested then? Just interested in beeing able to compare Edge to others.

Best Regards

8. PrevxHelp

Edge is a nontrivial product to compare to other products. Currently I'm unaware of any official tests but some of the users here have done some small-scale tests finding a 90% detection rate with heuristics and other positive results (if you wade through the mass of the "Introducing" thread :D)

9. Rivalen

How shall the ordinary user evaluate that against Antvir getting around 99% on sigs and around 70% on heuristics at AV Comparatives if I remember correctly.

Best Regards

10. PrevxHelp

This is like comparing apples to oranges - every AV will behave differently on different test sets. The test which I'm referring to within the thread was done on a couple hundred samples so it is not as statistically significant as AV Comparatives' million+ sample tests.

However, our goal is not to find 100% of pieces of malware ever created since 1980 but rather to find the malware which other AVs do not. Because of this, standard AV tests over gigantic sample sets will not accurately test Edge's protection against threats which users actually see today. Also, current testing methodology does not test the real benefit of Edge, which lies in the behavioral analysis and heuristics that can only be employed when a program is attempting to load. So, while one may be able to derive an approximation of the effectiveness of Edge against certain types of samples by running on-demand scans, these detection rates will not correctly reflect what is truly seen in the wild, on real infections.

11. Pedro

Pedro Registered Member

@PrevxHelp: i can't really say if it's good or not, but i read interesting things here - New test from PC Security Labs
    If you find it a good test - i really can't tell or have the time to read about it- perhaps you could ask to be tested.

12. PrevxHelp

Thanks for the link :) I'll ask around and see if we are interested/willing.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.